• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Fan comparison for air cooling

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Voodoo Rufus

Powder Junkie Moderator
I was trying to think of good air cooling solutions to *possibly* replace my water cooling setup. The point is quiet running with good performance. I was thinking of the MCX462V heatsink.

Possible fan solutions:

92mm Tornado at reduced voltage (5-7V)
92mm Panaflo H1A
Thermaltake 80mm blower

They all have their advantages and disadvantages. Does anyone have experience with a reduced voltage Tornado to give me an idea of how loud they are?

All of my fans are either quiet or reduced voltage to the point of silence, and the air cooling setup must act accordingly.

I stay about 40*C Idle on my SLK900u and Zalman 92mm @ 20dba. This is with a 700mhz OC on my Tbred.

I have already been working on making my PC more silent. It seems that the hs/f combo I have does quite well despite poor venilation within my PC case. Its just a thought for you to consider.

I have not been happy with my Tornado. It never gets quiet. I have the Nexus baybus and when I turn the Tornado dial all the way down (reducing the fan noise) the baybus starts whining (that's a whole 'nother story). I have a slk-800u, and I too am looking for a good solution. I just threw my SFII back in tonight. It is a bit quieter, when regulated, but temps are back up. I had someone suggest a 120mm aluminum fan with Zalman fan bracket. Any thoughts on that?

Someone please help us.

What about the Panaflo H1As and M1As?

The tornado is definatly not as loud with reduced voltage but like alot of other fans develops other noises at reduced voltage. If you are concerned about noise I wouldn't go with a tornado.

well, how about the panaflo H (or L, no matter) versus the blower?

30cfm doesn't seem like much, but then again pressure capabilities of blowers are supposed to be good.

Any good 92mm blowers out there?

So the tornado doesnt come with a controller right?
And it is really much louder?
What about that delta fan... the 100 cfm one? is it that loud ?

What 100cfm Delta? Those two words wouldn't go well together I think unless it's a 120mm fan, but yes, that would be noisy I would guess.

The Tornado does not come with a controller on its own.

What 100cfm Delta? Those two words wouldn't go well together I think unless it's a 120mm fan, but yes, that would be noisy I would guess.

The Tornado does not come with a controller on its own.

But it has a cord sticking out for it right?
or does it have only one 3 pin sticking out (because you would only need one, i am not sure, posted about this)?
The sp-94 was tested on a delta fan.. a pretty strong one...

I found a nice Delta that could work well for this duty:

FFB0912HHE
92x38mm, 72cfm, 3200 rpm. Put a fan controller on it and I bet it'd work great.

Does anyone know of any good sources for Delta fans? I'd be very interested because the only Deltas I normally see are the ones without the static vanes and are slow or the extreme 5-7000rpm versions.

Deathknight:

Is your mobo volt modded? I think my board craps out at 210 FSB. I did the pencil trick, but only put a little graphite on. I was a bit scared of the consequences. I'd really like to get past 210. Any ideas?

BTW, what kind of cooling are you running?

Umm, this is kind of getting away from my original questions on fans, especially concerning where to obtain other Delta fans.

Thanks a lot. The follow up question would be: Whats the quitest fan for SLK900U would be to cool Tbred2100+ with no overclocking. Just trying to build a completely quite system for my wife.

80mm Delta at elitecool.com ~15.00 +S&H

Fan Specs:
Dimensions: 80x80x38mm
Air Flow: 80.16 CFM
Noise: 52.5 dB
Fan Speed: 5,700 rpm
Current: 1.35 Amps
Input Power: 10.8 Watts
Voltage: 12 Volts
Bearing: Ball Bearing
Connector: bare lead wire

92mm Delta at xpcgear.com 18.99 + S&H

Fan facts
Model: Delta FFB0912EHE
Size: 92 x 92 x 38mm
Blow: 110CFM
Noise: 55dB
Rpm: 4800rpm
Wattage: 18W
Bearing: Ball
Info: 5,25" connector and rpm-sensor

xpcgear.com seems to have a bunch of pretty good fans.

Google search turns up a few other places

Last edited:
I googled the exact part number for the 3200 rpm and 3800 rpm fans and nothing came up in terms of sales. All computer stores only carry the extreme fans as well, so I'm kind of out of luck for a slow moving fan with static vanes.

Back