• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

5.8ghz wireless?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

amok time

Whats the best range I can get with current wireless access points? I think it's at 2.4ghz right now, are they going to bring out 5.8ghz?

I believe the 5.8Ghz one of the new 802.11 standards, And if memory serves it will be just the same range, if not a tad shorter than 802.11b.

The move to higher frequency, i believe, for the most part is just to move into an unused spectrum. Since EVERYTHING and its mother uses 2.4Ghz. Cellphones, cordless phones, microwaves, everything operates at 2.4Ghz which can cause noise and loss of isgnal quality in wireless networks.

Thanks for all the info.. The more I read up on wireless the more I dread having to run hard lines. Would love to have a wireless nw so I can use my laptop up by my fire pit. oh well, maybe next year.

amok time said:
Thanks for all the info.. The more I read up on wireless the more I dread having to run hard lines. Would love to have a wireless nw so I can use my laptop up by my fire pit. oh well, maybe next year.

after having to deal with wireless stuff for a while--- i find it quite the opposite

i love having a wired network, the drivers are usually very easy to find/come with the OS~~~ unlike the wireless where some components simply wouldnt work (drivers, or just faulty hardware)

not to mention all the interference that came with it, with our wireless phones

and after we got used to it, we hardly even moved the computers anywhere

and wired networks are faster (lol only important to me for when i go to someone elses LAN and we share files)

and wired networks are cheaper

amok time said:
ok one more question, what would it take to blanket a 5 mile rat around my house?

I think it would be possible to get that range with an omni-directional antennae and some type of signal booster... but I also think the FCC would start knockin at your door if you were broadcasting a signal that powerfull

You can go a greater distance using 5.8ghz (UNII not 802.11a) equipment than you can with 802.11b. I have multiple 5.8ghz Redline links from 20miles to 27miles:

redline.jpg

View in direction of other end of ptp link (5.8ghz 22miles, 36Mb/s)
East.jpg

Other end of ptp link. (aka The Nasty Tower, for obvious reasons)

UglyTower.jpg

tatanka said:

I think it would be possible to get that range with an omni-directional antennae and some type of signal booster... but I also think the FCC would start knockin at your door if you were broadcasting a signal that powerfull

FCC limit is no radio output greater than 1w (30db) and EIRP no greater than 4w (36db). For that distance no amp will be needed if you use a 200mw card (23db) and a 9db omni which results in 32db eirp estimated.. I can cover an area with a radius of 10-12miles with 4w (36db) eirp.

I just posted on another forum some pics of me setting our new office up connecting to our wireless network at 7.13 miles: here

In order to blanket an area of say 7miles, you'll need:

Omni-direction antenna's, Horizontal omni on left Vertical omni on right.
MVC-365S.JPG

And a Good AP:
100mw orinoco's
MVC-366S.JPG

or
200mw PrismII
MVC-286S.JPG

Some cable:
7/8 Heliax
MVC-362S.JPG

or
LMR600
MVC-363S.JPG

And about 200-300' of tower..
mvc-198s.jpg

Last edited:
hmmm, looks like I will be buying amd for a while if I will be able to afford this one. I have 3x 20, Polls w/ power over an area of about 5 miles or so. I live on the side of a mountain, trying to network with the locals to get 3x cable modem (as soon as we get cable that is)

Ddruid_SMP - I need 1 Vertical omni per house? & 1 Horizontal Omni in the mid? I hate to ask this druid, how much did them antennaes coast?

To bad you cant use old dss dish's got a ton of them.

amok time said:
Ddruid_SMP - I need 1 Vertical omni per house? & 1 Horizontal Omni in the mid? I hate to ask this druid, how much did them antennaes coast?

To bad you cant use old dss dish's got a ton of them.

Your omni will be located on the tower (1 per tower in most cases). You have a choice between a horizontally polorized omni or a vertically polorized omni. Polarization is a rather large topic in itself, but basically it refers to the direction of wave (amplitude) in relation to the earth. In my experience you get greater distance with vertical, but it is more sensitive to trees, I have gotten around trees using a horizonally poloarized equipment. The customer side must match whatever polarization you have at the tower, so if you use a vertical omni then whatever antenna you place at the customer side must be vertical as well (in 99.99% of the cases).

Vertical omni's run about $50-$70
Horizontal omnis about $200 - $300
The first AP pictured runs about $400 without radio's or software.
Second AP runs $500 without radio (came with software)
LMR600 $1-$2/ft
7/8 Heliax $3-$5/ft
LMR400 $.75-$1.50/ft
200' Rohn 25 tower Turn key $8-$10k

On the customer side (have a look here )
14-24db Antenna's run $30-$80
Cheap orinoco USB radio $80
Pigtail $30

You *MAY* be able to use the satelite dishes, I believe someone has done it before, try looking on the net..

Back