• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SETI and F@H???

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
NOPE!

On a single processor system you end up with both applications fighting for the unused CPU cycles and in the end you have two apps with neither one of them running efficently. I have actually heard people report that SETI @ Home is a bit more successful at grabbing cycles so the Folding @ Home app. really takes the major performance hit.

On a dual processor machine it should be possible to run one app on each processor and only experience the normal performance hit one experiences due to the system overhead that is normal with a dual processor setup.

The better alternative if you wish to support both projects is to run either one on the machine for some time period(a week, a month, etc.), then switch to the other and run it an equal amount of time.

SkyHook

OK that's what I'll do then. Thanks Sky.

OK, from here on out I am F@H for a month then SETI for a month.
I will change on the 3rd of each month to keep it consistant.

Folding is a great help of course, but helping
with CPU cycles to eventually find ET is more
inspiring to me !!

The Wizard

I agree Wizard but have to do both for personal reasons. :D

Jedi, I think so too. It won't matter this time next year since I intend to have a set up inspired by Wedo for both SETI and F@H. :D

OK as promised, I'm running SETI for the next month!! :D

How often does SETI update the team stats page?
Is there a color page out there like there is for F@H??

Last edited:
Team Website

www.ocsetiteam.com will take you to the Team Website, then if you click on the individual stats tab near the top you can view Daily stats which are updated every evening 7 days a week by about 8:30 PM EST. There is also a Weekly Summary which is updated every Sunday evening which gives you a different view of the weeks production as well as some history and even a prediction of future placement.

You can also click on the Benchmark tab and view comparisons of how variously different configurations of machines stack up when all do what we call the Team Benchmark WU.

Hope that makes your SETI Experience more enjoyable.

Skyhook

BTW - http://setiathome.ssl.berkeley.edu/fcgi-bin/fcgi?cmd=team_lookup&name=Overclockers.com Seti Team

will take you to a Berkeley maintained team page which updates almost as soon as WUs are returned, as opposed to the one their link normally points to which sometimes lags behind by as much as a few hours.

Back