• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

very interesting behavior

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

borg

Registered
using my sig computer, lowered the multi to 9.5, vcore to 1.675, vdimm left at default, chipset to 1.7(was default 1.6), timings optimal (10-3-3 and started upping FSB. got to 9.5x225 stable, then 230 started to cause errors (not enough vcore) so I upped vcore to 1.7, and then computer refused to post.
it's not my psu, maxpower 400w, 200w combined 3.3/5v, because I could post at 2.0vcore
So I clear the cmos, reboot, and put it back to chipset voltage 1.7 and fsb 225, 220, 215 x9.5 -> all won't post
it posts at 210
then I turned off lan,firewire and sata controller, and it wouldn't post again
200x10.5 posts & works without problems
temps never go above 52C
will do some experimenting with various bios features later...

could it be the northbridge over heating ???

Edit: i also notice on my 1700+ no matter want FSB i use i can NOT boot at multi off 9.5 change that to 10 :)

so maybe its not the northbridge :)

I saw some posts about 9.5x multiplier being "broken" on my board, but I don't actually understand the concept :)
I really don't know how to tell if it's n/b overheating, it has an active cooler

haven't managed.... sinced I couldn't post again at that fsb :) but they look good at 200fsb (forgot the actual values, but I checked them a while back)
I belive that this problem is so abstract that it could be just anything :)

I also have heard of mults that do not work correctly at high fsb but I have not experienced this (ofc I have not used those lower mults either...).

As far as your PSU goes I would check your rails. Not saying that is the problem but I would not consider a maxpower 400w to be a high quality brand psu.

Back