• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Brain HD idea

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

JerkasaurusRex

Well i was thinking, what if they made a hard drive that was like a brain. This may sound weird but here it goes.

As far as i know the brain has almost infinate space. People can store all the information they want in their brain in any format, audio, visual, text, wutever. Like you have visual and audio memeoris, those are stored in your brain. I think our brain almost has limitless space and also is very fast.

IF a hard drive was made out of something like a brain or something that functioned like a brain would could have super-fast hard drives with almost unlimited space. This would mean your hard drive would no longer be the slowest part of your computer.

Is this idea feasable? Any opinions on this?

oh right, yes that would be a great achievment if we were able to copy the brain.
i thought u were trying to say why dont we do it now :rolleyes:

that would be interesting, and very awsome.... but then i forget stuff.... and they would have to find a way to fix that part :D

Well forgeting would probably be the equivalent of hard drive crash or data corruption but they should have a working synthetic brain that should forget stuff.

since the techonlogy is not at that level yet, you can always experiment with your own brain.
How about put a nice big heatsink on your head, and up the voltage to at least 3-4v. Maybe you'll get a nice Overclock out of it. Just make sure it does not overheat, consequences are deadly.

Borisw37 said:
since the techonlogy is not at that level yet, you can always experiment with your own brain.
How about put a nice big heatsink on your head, and up the voltage to at least 3-4v. Maybe you'll get a nice Overclock out of it. Just make sure it does not overheat, consequences are deadly.

Anyone up for water-cooling?

I heard using alchochol works much better than water to make your brain function more efectively.

Currently, the brain is a very big gray area for science. (the pun is sorta intended :) ). Not much is known about the brain and how it functions. It's not even known how memories are stored. It's believed that thought process develops dendritic attachments between nerves, allowing "shortcuts" to form and therefore make it easier to remember something.

It would be cool if they could synthetically make a brain, but i doubt it would be for a computer. You would have to feed it, and i know people forget to feed pets all the time, much less a brain. I also doubt that the same mechanism responsible for the formation of memory and recall of the brain can be duplicated through electronic means.

If you're looking for the most cutting edge technology as far as computing goes, i think the best we'll get will be nanotubes. Since there is nothing smaller that can transport a charge from one destination to another without dispersing it.

Last edited:
I suspect that we forget things for a reason.

I don't think it has limitless capacity.

I mean, imagine remembering all the uninportant stuff. Maybe we forget all the useless stuff so we have plenty of free space. Bit like clearing your temporary folder.

bsspewer said:
Currently, the brain is a very big gray area for science. (the pun is sorta intended :) ). Not much is known at about the brain and how it functions. It's not even known how memories are stored. It's believed that thought process develops dendritic attachments between nerves, allowing "shortcuts" to form and therefore make it easier to remember something.
I have heard the exact same thing, but you beat me to the post :D

Think about that theory somewhat like this. You remember a picture. The picture has a person sitting on a stump in the middle of a forest, holding an apple in your hand. Your brain will remember the relative positions of the objects, what objects comprise the scene, and then 'build' a memory based on this data. Instead of holding a BMP of it in your head, you're saving something more like a JPEG. You're brain dosen't remember everything about the scene, only enough to reconstruct it from it's general parts (person, stump, forest, apple).

Of couse because of the grey area (pun stolen ;) ) science isn't really sure if that is indeed the way the brain stores data. It may be a true lossless storage device, which would probably be the argument of hypnotits who regress people to memories they no longer have. Of course, there are other arguments for how THAT works :D

JigPu

Back