• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Barton or Thoroughbred?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I would go with the o so great pc3000 hyperx stick's I know of a few people that have hit 500+mhz ddr speed with these stick's. Anything with BH-5 buffalo pc3200 with winbond chip's are also good stick's and I love my pc3500 hyperx but alittle more then the pc3000 sticks and not much more fsb when overclocked to it's max.

P.s to answer the post I have a 2500, and 2100 I like both and both overclock very good the 2500 give's alittle better #'s in benching and the 2100 tbred(b) run's alittle better mhz when overclocking.

ok ???? did i miss it???
what mb do you have?
if your mb is only 1/4 (pci/fsb) then 150 is about the best you can go(if you try to run 166fsb your pci will be 41.5!(will not work))

what motherboard do you have?

edit:
also what do you do with your pc?

cmdrjay4 said:
ok ???? did i miss it???
what mb do you have?
if your mb is only 1/4 (pci/fsb) then 150 is about the best you can go(if you try to run 166fsb your pci will be 41.5!(will not work))

what motherboard do you have?

edit:
also what do you do with your pc?

I have a MSI KT4 Ultra (MS-6590) Mobo and i play games with my computer.

i dont think you should get one or the other

if you need gameing performence the hard drive will do nothing in game

if you get more then 512mb ram it will not do much for you in gameing

if i where you i would get the 2500+ and 512mb of ram that will get you to 185fsb(the most you can go with that board) with good timeings(2-2-5)

185*11=2035(no 2500+ cant get to that)

i would not get one or the other

bye the way what do you get in 3dMark2001 with that card?

edit: all a faster hd will do is load the game faster

cmdrjay4 said:
i dont think you should get one or the other

if you need gameing performence the hard drive will do nothing in game

if you get more then 512mb ram it will not do much for you in gameing

if i where you i would get the 2500+ and 512mb of ram that will get you to 185fsb(the most you can go with that board) with good timeings(2-2-5)

185*11=2035(no 2500+ cant get to that)

i would not get one or the other

bye the way what do you get in 3dMark2001 with that card?

edit: all a faster hd will do is load the game faster

Well with my rig i get about 12.000 with 3DMark01 and with 3DMark03 i get about 3850.

Your upgrade really does depend on your priorities.

if you just want to play games faster, then get the CPU. If you feel your system is fast enough but need more storage, get the hard drive.

just had a look, your motherboard does support the Barton.

looks like the highest PCI divider on your motherboard is 5:1 FSB:pCI right?

Last edited:
thats why i asked what you do with it

for gameing i dont think a hd is the best way to go

and if you get the 2500+ i think new ram would help it make a bigger dif(with your ram you said all you can get is 150 so 150*12 is not as good does that mb go over 12 ?)

the 9800se is not that good
it only has 4 pipes
the 9700 and 9800(np or pro) have 8

so for gameing that may be something to look at

i have a 9800np that runs at pro speeds and cost $260

shiyan said:
Your upgrade really does depend on your priorities.

if you just want to play games faster, then get the CPU. If you feel your system is fast enough but need more storage, get the hard drive.

just had a look, your motherboard does support the Barton.

looks like the highest PCI divider on your motherboard is 5:1 FSB:pCI right?
Ok thanks, yeah my PCI divider is 5:1. How much of a increase would i get if i would get Barton 2500+? Shouldn't i get better memory first if i want to get my barton to work at it's default FSB's? I mean if my memory is the reason that i can't get past 150FSB and that Barton is like something 160? I'm little confused with the "symbiosis" between CPU and memory.

cmdrjay4 said:
thats why i asked what you do with it

for gameing i dont think a hd is the best way to go

and if you get the 2500+ i think new ram would help it make a bigger dif(with your ram you said all you can get is 150 so 150*12 is not as good does that mb go over 12 ?)

the 9800se is not that good
it only has 4 pipes
the 9700 and 9800(np or pro) have 8

so for gameing that may be something to look at

i have a 9800np that runs at pro speeds and cost $260

Well i can get the remaining 4 pipelines to work without checkers but i get some weird purple boxes though, but turning AA and AF to full they dissapear but even when those purple boxes are on the screen the REAL 3d world is perfect no tearing or any other artifacts...so i think it is a heat issue with my GPU and i'm a gamer that doesn't have to have all the delisious things on, not too picky about graphics ;)

edit: Oh and yes my mobo multiplier can go over 12 but when i tried 13 with my current rig i got decrease of speed in MHZ...it dropped ALOT.

the Barton is 166fsb thats why i think you should get
the 2500+ with some ram that will do 185
(185/5=37 you don't want to go to much over that)

185*11=2035(and like Overclocker550 said you can raise the milti(if you don't mind unlocking the cpu))

qbas said:

edit: Oh and yes my mobo multiplier can go over 12 but when i tried 13 with my current rig i got decrease of speed in MHZ...it dropped ALOT.

i think it defalts to 6 or something if you set it to 13

i'm not sure
if someone knows? let use know

cmdrjay4 said:
the Barton is 166fsb thats why i think you should get
the 2500+ with some ram that will do 185
(185/5=37 you don't want to go to much over that)

185*11=2035(and like Overclocker550 said you can raise the milti(if you don't mind unlocking the cpu))

Ok let say i get that Barton and i have to increase the FSB so that it is at default speeds and Barton is 166FSB and my memory is 133FSB, and i don't have the money to get both new memory and processor at the same time if the memory is so bad that it can't support over 150FSB's...but on the other hand for instance does my old Soundblaster Live! interfere with those settings in any way?

qbas said:

Ok let say i get that Barton and i have to increase the FSB so that it is at default speeds and Barton is 166FSB and my memory is 133FSB, and i don't have the money to get both new memory and processor at the same time if the memory is so bad that it can't support over 150FSB's...but on the other hand for instance does my old Soundblaster Live! interfere with those settings in any way?

all your pci cards will junk out !
and your hard drive will mix up its data!
(if you go over pci of 37-41 its dif with all computers)

so the best you will get with that 2500+ is 11*150=1650 not worth it
unless you unlock, 14*150 is 2100mhz(all 2500+ get that)

So should i get better memory then? before i would change my processor? In my PCI slots i have Soundblaster Live!, HomePNA adapter and that's it.

If i can only get to 1650 with Barton how can i get allmost 1800 (well i had 1850 at one time) with my Tbred?

qbas said:
So should i get better memory then? before i would change my processor? In my PCI slots i have Soundblaster Live!, HomePNA adapter and that's it.

If i can only get to 1650 with Barton how can i get allmost 1800 (well i had 1850 at one time) with my Tbred?

thats what i am trying to say

if your ram will only go to 150 and your mb will only go to 12
then 150*12 is 1800

but if your 2500+ cpu is stock at 166fsb(ram) then what can you do with 150ram?

cmdrjay4 said:

then 150*12 is 1800

Oh ok thanks :), that clarified on what i should do next and that is getting the PC3200 memory module on my mobo and after that getting the CPU, then i can get to the 166 FSB (maybe even higher).

My PSU has good wattage though so i don't need to change that (400W with 2 fans other is blowing air to my CPU ;)).

My extreme maximum with this current rig is 149FSB (atleast when using FuzzyLogic 4).

hmmm... I need to look at this problem more closely.

have you tried overclocking the Tbred using higher multipliers? I see that the highest multiplier should be 15. 15x133 is 2Ghz, which is higher than what you have it running at the moment.

generally, if you increase your CPU speed by say 10%, your system speed might increase around 6~8%. If you improve RAM speed by 10%, your system speed will increase just 2~4%.

Is it possible to run the RAM at slower speeds than the FSB with your motherboard?

indeed if it is not possible, then you'll have to run the Barton at something like 15x150=2250Mhz.

edit:

I just saw that you can set your RAM speed to 133.

qbas: Set your RAM to 133Mhz, and see how far the Thoroughbred will go.

cmdrjay4 said:

then 150*12 is 1800

It seems that he can run the RAM fixed at 133Mhz. This means that he should be able to increase the CPU FSB as much as he wants. So, if he got a Barton, he just needs to leave the RAM running at 133Mhz, and run the Barton at whatever FSB he wants.

Last edited:
qbas said:

Oh ok thanks :), that clarified on what i should do next and that is getting the PC3200 memory module on my mobo and after that getting the CPU, then i can get to the 166 FSB (maybe even higher).

My PSU has good wattage though so i don't need to change that (400W with 2 fans other is blowing air to my CPU ;)).

My extreme maximum with this current rig is 149FSB (atleast when using FuzzyLogic 4).

yes

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProdu...147&manufactory=1646&DEPA=1&sortby=14&order=1

Buffalo Technology 512MB 6 Layer PC3200 DDR Memory Module CL 2.5 32X8 (Winbond Module), Part# DD4002-512 - OEM

(winbond module is the key words here )\

for $83

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProdu...e=0&propertycode=&propertycodevalue=4159,4575

AMD ATHLON XP 2500 "Barton" 333 FSB PROCESSOR CPU- OEM

for $84

with the $4 shipping to nj that would cost me $171

Back