• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

n00bed by Harddrives

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

dyermaker610

Registered
Hello all!

I have two 60 gb 7200 WDs

and I'm looking to swapping one of them for a SATA drive when I get my new motherboard.

Since I haven't played w/ the new HD's can someone give me a run down w/ the differences between RAID, serial ATA vs the IDE (besides being faster)

Here's a couple of questions,

SATA converters, what will this do to my 60 gb IDE? if anything at all?

Cache, 2mb/8mb.. what performance gain?

IDE ULTRA ATA133 vs IDE ULTRA ATA100 what performance gain?

best quality AND price brands?

brands I should stay away from?

8.9/9.5/10 ms seek time differences in EIDE?

If anyone could answer one or some of these questions please do so =)

Thanks.

Hrm I will try and answer some of these for ya.

First off for raid thats a topic that you could write a small novel on ;) This is a link to a nice site that gives a whole bunch of info on raid (maybe more than you wanted ;) )

http://www.pcguide.com/ref/hdd/perf/raid/index.htm

As for IDE and SATA well there isn't a whole lot different between them yet, aside from the snazy SATA cables. As far as performance is concerned SATA in itself doesn't offer a huge bump up in performance over ATA, at least not in its present state.

If your motherboard has onboard SATA RAID and you think you want to use it then a SATA converter would be helpful, since you could use your existing drives with it.

As for Cache well I find that 8mb cache provides a pretty nice bump up in performance. How much performance increase you see probably depends on how you use your machine.

Seek times are a huge deal IMHO. The western digital raptor for instance is a 10k rpm drive with a 5.2ms seek time. There is a very noticeable speed difference over say the 120gb 8mb cache 8.9 ms seek time western digital drives in my other rig(very fast drives in their own right).

Back