• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Moving SETI@home to BOINC

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Boinc will start processing two units simultaneously if it see's an smp or smt system. What it does not do is run one process with multiple threads like some had hoped. Maybe it can and but just doesn't with astropulse.

bbdd,

as others have stated. we are in a transitional stage right now, and
it will take some time for programers to write apps/ports similar to
the CLC, SETI Spy, SETI Queue. i want to see a UNIX version available,
but i have faith that there will be solutions to meet all our desires/needs.

the seas my be getting rough , but grab some rye and we'll sail on. YO HO HO!

c_h

TC said:
Boinc will start processing two units simultaneously if it see's an smp or smt system. What it does not do is run one process with multiple threads like some had hoped. Maybe it can and but just doesn't with astropulse.
i sure hope seti@home/bonic wil take advantage of any multi-cpu (virtual or physical)......:rolleyes:

Might be needing to drop a message home, so someone can unistall S@H from my old work PC :D......A pity that I need to restart but it was expected......we will endure in the end :D

Only thing I haven't seen is the exact timeframe. I sthis going to happen next month or next year :D? Not seen that one in the newsletters.

October 18, 2003
A SETI@home application has been added to the beta test. The scheduling server detect results that can't be sent to any hosts, and flags them. HTTP 404 errors on downloads are treated as unrecoverable. Graphics can be limited by frame rate or percent of CPU. Don't send two results from the same workunit to a single user. Added JPEG support to application graphics. Added "confirm before accept executable" mechanism.

Link

Sir Ulli

finally it is working:cool:

sah21.jpg

Sir Ulli

Looks nice Sir Ulli !!

Tries to create an account on the Boinc page but
got the message "account creation disabled" !!??
I guess that they have enough BETA testers....
When will the final product be released ??
Anyone have anymore info ?? Looking at Sir Ullis post
above makes my decision not to be a betatester look
kinda stupid....

But i will keep crunching with the "old" system as long
as it will go on !!

Crunch on guys !!

The Wizard !!

Sir Ulli said:
finally it is working:cool:

sah21.jpg

Sir Ulli

So the new SETI@home has a graphics portion? Is it quicker to turn it off like we did with the old screensaver version? Or is there just a CLC like we have now? How exactly does this work?

cooldrum3, since it's running on BOINC, I would guess that the graphics are an "optional" component. In astropulse, you had the BOINC window (shown below in Sir Ulli's pic), and if you wish to see graphics you double-click on the processing WU. However, I'm not sure wether running BOINC without the graphics on is more like CLC mode, or minimized screensaver mode. It would be nice if it were as efficent as the CLC :)

What I really like is the %CPU dedication to the graphics. Even if it still takes up time while not being displayed (a'la minimized screensaver mode), you should be able to cut it's CPU time WAAAYY back.

EDIT: I've got it running now :) Can't find that % CPU time for graphics, but I might not be looking hard enough :D

EDIT #2: Found the preferences for the Graphics CPU Time. Currently at 5% :)
JigPu

Last edited:
Back