• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

installing folding in a windows temp directory

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

modenaf1

I have a question, with computers that have that thing where on a reboot the HDD is restored or whatever, and wipes anything installed on the comp. If i were to install f@h in some directory in the windows directory, would it wipe the F@H client? is there a way to get around this?

Thanks
-f1

oh and before anyone says anything about ethics here, i am going to ask permission, just i dont want to go through all the trouble of asking permission and blow it by not knowing how to get it to stay on the comp. also, it will make it harder for other people (public comps) to get to it and mess it up.

There is def. a way around it. There must be another partition where the information to restore the drive is. If you can get it installed on there you should be in good shape, but then I am not sure if it would delete the wu everyday, so really...ummm, you need to find someone who has expirience with that type of software. I have never heard of self-restoring hard drives, so I can't help you, heh. Best of Luck!

Matt

thanks.

who knows, maybe they dont even have that stuff? i was just asking just incase, and if they do, im sure the network admin knows how to install programs and have them stay. Then again, i hope this isnt the guy who installed PC programs on the macs and wondered why they didnt work :rolleyes:

hopefully ill have a huge load of comps folding for team 32! i cant decide, do it under modenaf1 or FTWL.

modenaf1 said:
hopefully ill have a huge load of comps folding for team 32! i cant decide, do it under modenaf1 or FTWL.

Half and Half??? lol. Whatever contribution you can make to the team is appreciated, user name is not all that important. Good luck!

Matt

it depends on the security program. my high school used "fortress" which merely locks certain users out of most areas of the machine. in this situation you could only save to floppy. the way around it was to save in an IE temp directory as these have to be open for IE to function.

here in college we have something that will run norton ghost at a designated time and restore an fresh partition every night.

in the first situation you should be able to install to a temp directory as long as you are allowed to install files you should be fine. the problem with that is if someone clears the IE history or OS temps and it won't let them because windows is using folding then they may go routing over to the temp directory and kill it by hand. if your situation is of the latter mentioned then you would need to have them add folding to the image used to restore all the machines. or in this situation you could use USB pen drives to fold off of but that's less thesible because; you'd be buying lots of pen drives, you'd have to put one in every machine, and you'd still have to have it ste to run as soon as it's plugged in. that might be solvable with an autorun.inf but the other issues presented would still blow the pen drive idea out of the picture unless your situation allows you to manually install every single pen drive.

i'm sure there's many other security setups out that can be addressed, these are merely what i know about and have come up with to resolve the issue.

ok thanks guys. I think they just havbe it so certain users are locked out of parts of the comp, becuase they always have to install certain stuff on them. so as long as i get access to the netowrks admins comp, i should be able to do it well. only problem is getting permission first :(

If you school uses fortres, all it does it lock the drive so you can't write to it. Once you get permission, ask the network admin for the password to unlock fortres, install fah then re-enable fortres.

Back