• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Star Wars Knights of the Old Republic PC gets extras + system req

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Gnerma

link

For those that have played this on Xbox should the interface updates they mention help? I've read about a lot of bugs in KOTOR that you guys just seem to be stuck with and that sucks :(

There are bugs, like cheat kind of bugs, but its not multiplayer and the bugs don't effect you unless you choose to use them as cheats.

Then again I've just played it and done tiny bit of board trolling so I'm sure there could be problems.

What specifically are you asking about? I haven't come across anything problematic yet.

I like this in the minimum reqs:

"and a hefty 256MB of RAM for Windows XP users (512MB is recommended)."

What does this guy do with his PC, just Word processing? What is he doing writing an article on games if hes calling 256 mbs hefty.

Last edited:
OC Noob said:
There are bugs, like cheat kind of bugs, but its not multiplayer and the bugs don't effect you unless you choose to use them as cheats.

What is he doing writing an article on games if hes calling 256 mbs hefty.
Oh yes I know that kind of bug..

*talk to person*
"Thank you for completing the quest great hero, here is 100 gold"
*talk to person again*
"Thank you for completing the quest great hero, here is 100 gold"

Regarding the hefty memory thing. He probably just needed to smooth the sentence transition out. He likely means hefty compared to 128mb of memory.

Originally posted by OC Noob
What specifically are you asking about? I haven't come across anything problematic yet.
Well, in doing a bit of board trolling of my own on the bioware boards, I've seen people mention the typical kind of quest related bugs you see in this kind of game. Variations of if you start quest X then do Y you cannot complete quest X. I'm sure Morrowind Xbox probably had some bugs like this too. But there is also the UI bug the gamespot article mentions. I'm not saying the game is a buggy POS just that there are reports of annoying, reproducable bugs that may have been patched if possible. Since you can patch through Xbox live though, have they?

Anyway, about the UI tweaks mentioned in the article. Did you guys find the the UI lacking in the areas getting changes? :eh?:

I didn't think you were ripping on the game at all, just in my limited experience I haven't come across anything and was wondering what you were refering to.

They haven't done anything with it as far as Live is concerned, but I've heard there will be downloadable content. They could probably stick a few bug fixes in there too, but I don't even know if they will bother with it or not.

The UI has a lot of menus, it would be nice if they could have simplified it a bit, not a big deal. For the PC maybe they are making direct acess buttons for the menus were as you hit the start button and scroll through each with the controller.

I wouldn't think twice about picking it for the PC unless it turns out to be a really bad port, but what is there is very solid.

Bioware always does a good job. Its kind of odd, but KotOR reminds me a lot of NWN for some reason. Maybe its some wierd Bioware thing.

How come when you beat the game you can't go back and finish the other quests? That isn't a bug is it?

Just bad part of the game?

I was just reading Electronic Gaming Monthly, October issue and they were talking about how the game can be played so many different ways and EGM asked, "it must have been a b*tch to bug-test this game?" Ray Muzyka replied, "I think we found 39,000...close to 40,000 bugs. Thats the most bugs we've ever had in a game."

So in a way if you played ever single side quest and quest every way it could be played then you'll probably stumble across more then a few bugs, but in normal play it shouldn't be too bad.

Although, that was 40,000 bugs on standardized hardware. Bioware is pretty good though, so if there are major problems at the release I'm sure they'll patch em pretty quickly.

I wouldn't worry about it too much. Bioware is great at getting updates out. They update their games more than almost any other developer I can think of.

I've got x-box and a good gaming pc. I'll prolly wait for the pc version. I tend to get burnt out on Bioware's rpg's. I'll play like a madman for a couple weeks, and just when I'm getting near the end, I drop it and play something else. I'm in the same situation w/ NWN right now.

I figure in a couple months I'll get an itchin' for a good rpg again and pick it up. ;)

Man, I killed everything and saw everything in the first part of NWN where you kill the brain thing in the prison and formated, losing my saved game. Ever since then I can't bring my self to go through that again. I could zip through it, but then I've still lost a bunch of loot and exp.

I wonder if there is a place to get saved games for NWN.

For the PC you are going to get an extra space station with new NPCs that sell some new items and stuff. It sounds pretty cool. And I guess that will the first Live download, but after the PC version is done.

This game I would have liked to have gotten on the PC. IMO the character models are bad. They remind me of the stiffs in EQ, Anarchy Online and Dark Age of Camelot. I'll bet higher resolutions would make them look much better (not great still, but the game kicks butt).

Well isn't the game built on Neverwinter Nights technology? The models in that game looked okay when the game first came out, but very lacking now. Plus KOTOR seems to have a more 'up close' look to it so I'm sure that does not help.

How does the game feel with a gamepad? If using a gamepad works well for this game I'd prefer to play with one. If the devs include gamepad support like they often don't that is

:bang head

KOTOR PC projected release date 11/18/2003 I can't wait :rolleyes:

I don't know anything about this game, but it looks very, very sweet! I can't really figure out how it differes from jedi acadamy though...

KOTOR isn't exactly like JK:JA, from what I've heard the fighthing sequences are RPG style. Is that right? I've been looking forward to this game too, but I'm gonna be hesitant if it's RPG style...I'd rather get FF:XI, errh...XII...or XIII...whichever we are up to now.:p :beer:

rugbyroy said:
I don't know anything about this game, but it looks very, very sweet! I can't really figure out how it differes from jedi acadamy though...

JK: A plays a lot like Jedi Outcast, Whereas KOTOR is kind of like a cross btwn Morrowind and NWN.

Gnerma said:
Well isn't the game built on Neverwinter Nights technology? The models in that game looked okay when the game first came out, but very lacking now. Plus KOTOR seems to have a more 'up close' look to it so I'm sure that does not help.

How does the game feel with a gamepad? If using a gamepad works well for this game I'd prefer to play with one. If the devs include gamepad support like they often don't that is

:bang head

KOTOR PC projected release date 11/18/2003 I can't wait :rolleyes:

Not sure about the engine, since its on the Xbox, NWN at 1280 x 1024 looks so much better its hard to tell. In some strange hard to describe way it plays like NWNs though. I'll check out the Bioware forums and find out if they used the same engine. I did notice the fog they use in NWN in a few areas.

Control with a gamepad is bit cumbersome. Mouse and keyboard will be a much better fit then scrolling through 10 or so menus with the L/R trigger buttons.

This is one I wish I'd have picked up on the PC, for the gfx and for the mouse/keyboard. On the other hand, I wish I could trade my PC Vice City for the console version. When will I ever learn:(

ps Rugbyroy, just like the other guys said, its an RPG like NWN, EQ, DAoC, etc.. so its real time combat, but its about as close to turn based as it gets. Click the special attack button and the game does the rest or set it to throw a granade and when your attack time comes he throws a granade. I really dislike that kind of combat, but some games are worth putting up with it.

hmm I'm not sure how to feel about that. I liked morrowind, except it was too easy to make myself a God in that game with the console and all. I guess I'll get the demo, if there is one and give that a whirl. Either way it "looks" sweet haha!

I found a few more articles about KOTOR PC if anybody is interested.

PC Game World interview with James Ohlen (Lead Designer), and Casey Hudson (Producer/Project Director)

[PC Gameworld] Our readers are PC gamers. Is there anything special waiting for them with the pending release of the PC version of Knights? Is there a compelling reason for someone who has played the XBox version to give the PC game a shot?

[Casey] There will definitely be additional elements to the PC version, but we haven’t announced them yet. We have also been able to make use of the extra memory on the PC by improving the texture detail and adding more NPC variations. Of course, the game will also look quite different on the PC, since you’ll be able to see it in much higher resolution and with a beautiful new main interface.

IGN Hands on impressions

The textures are also much improved. During the design process the team created large texture files for the game at 512 and 1024 sizes. For the Xbox version, they had to scale back the textures a bit to preserve space on the disc and meet the hardware capabilities of the Xbox. Now that their finishing up the PC version, the team is able to go back and reuse the larger size textures. Seeing the nice 1024 textures on the Ebon Hawk on the beach of the Unknown World (or is it Unnamed World?), you get a real sense of how much prettier this game can be on the PC.

I found this too

Posted by Derek French on page 5 of this thread
At this time, there are no plans for a DVD version of KotOR PC.

And to throw a personal slant into this, I don't have a DVD drive, neither at home nor at work and I don't have any plans to get one right now.
Don't click that link unless you want to read ten pages worth of DVDROM owners arguing with CDROM owners about the necessity and affordability of DVDROMs in today's market :rolleyes:

Looks like another 4 CD game in those oh so elegant paper sleeves. :bang head I don't know about you guys but I have had a DVDROM drive in every system since the P2 350 Gateway rig I got in 1998. Publishers should give us a choice between CDROM and DVDROM versions.

Back