• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help me please! photo shop n00b asks simple question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

modenaf1

ok im trying to do something in photoshop 7.0. I have a layer than im am trying to put text into, but this is no ordinary text, instead of haveing the text a certain color, im tring to put a semi tranparent image in the text. BUT, when i copy it into the "text" layer, it dosent just cover up the text, it does the whole layer. Im trying to just get the text to do that. anyone got any suggestions? I know this can be done, i seemed to do it the other day but i cant figure it out any more. Thanks.

Cheers!
-f1
:)

What text tool did you use? If you used the normal one, try using the text select tool instead.

If this doesn't work, first paste the image to a new layer, then use the text select tool to write the text over the image. Invert the selection (from the secetion menu) and hit delete. If this doesn't work either, let me know so I'll try to come up with somethig else.

EDIT:

To paste into selection use the paste into command SHIFT+CTRL+V

darnit. it dosent work the way i wanted to get it to. oh man i hate photoshop, ive always been able to create better stuff in mspaint. isnt that a shame?

anyways, ill just play with it a little bit until i figure out what i did before. Thanks anyways. Ill post back if i figure it out.

Cheers!
-f1
:cool:

Try moving your image layer above your text layer, then place your mouse curser between the two layers and press your ALT key, your mouse will change to two circles with an arrow, then click.

You should then see you Image inside your text, and you can move the image around inside your text by selecting the image layer.

Adobe Photoshop 7.0 has a little bit of a learning curve. I suggest searching for tutorials on the net. Once yo've mastered a few basic idea's and understand Photoshop, it becomes an invaluable tool. Too bad it's so expensive though.

Back