• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What do you think of this card?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Chief

Gainward Nvidia GeForce FX 5900 Ultra1100 , 8X AGP 128MB (256bit 2.8ns BGA DDR) DVI/TV, dual monitors display, RETAIL
Specifications:
Chipset: Nvidia 5900 (not Ultra Version)
Memory: 128MB DDR
Bus: AGP 8X
Complete DirectX support, including DirectX 9.0 and lower
Full OpenGL 1.4 and lower support
Includes Gainward's award winning EXPERTool™ tuning utility for customized performance enhancements and efficient desktop management.
Supports 8x, 4x, and 2x AGP
Ports: VGA + DVI + S-Video out
Retail Box (see pics for details) Model#: FX Ultra/1100TV/DVI
Click Here For Free Gift Back Pack. Must Add To Cart. $20 credit for the Free Gift Back Pack will be applied at check out.
Special Free FedEx Saver Shipping

$255.00

Says ultra but yet its not an ultra chip.Even so seems like a good deal,what do you people think?

Heres the link - http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduct.asp?submit=special&catalog=48&DEPA=1&sortby=14&order=1

Yeah Gainward is ****ing me off with their naming scheme, all of their cards even the 5600 non ultra and 5200 non ultra are called Ultra Powerpacks and it is kind of hard to distinguish.

Before buying I would make sure that Nvidia did fix performance in DX9 games such as HL2 with their Det 50 drivers, if they didn't I would strongly consider getting a 9800np. I say this because you don't want to drop 260$ on a card and have it beaten by your current card in the games that really count.

i would also consider a 9800 over the 5900. I am not the only one, 9800 are getting old. I remeber when you were able to get a 9800np for $235 or so online.

i would also get an ati... but if you are a diehard nvidia fan, then i can't answer since i know nothing about nvidia :p sorry.

The 9800np is going fast, BB has them for $239.99 + tax. I can almost gaurantee you won't need a new vid card for quite a while if you get a 9800np.

Fallen Phoenix said:
The 9800np is going fast, BB has them for $239.99 + tax. I can almost gaurantee you won't need a new vid card for quite a while if you get a 9800np.

no kidding, probably for the next half decade :eek:

Well thanks for the input you ati fans but I was kinda asking what people thought of this card not how it compares to an ati.

5900 plain and simply suck in direct x9 games. And if you want to play all the new games, you need a card that can play direct x9 games.

Nvidia will be releasing "optimized" driver, which are basically cheating driver to help performance, but from what i heard, it wouldn't be as good as a 9800.

If you want to waste cash, go ahead. I don't take sides, i buy whatever is the best bang for the buck.

No sense buying a card just cuz you like the company and it suck, well thats just my opinion.

Pinnacle2k4 said:
5900 plain and simply suck in direct x9 games. And if you want to play all the new games, you need a card that can play direct x9 games.

Nvidia will be releasing "optimized" driver, which are basically cheating driver to help performance, but from what i heard, it wouldn't be as good as a 9800.

If you want to waste cash, go ahead. I don't take sides, i buy whatever is the best bang for the buck.

No sense buying a card just cuz you like the company and it suck, well thats just my opinion.

Believe I'll do that!
I believe I'll just go ahead and waste my cash, thank you very much! I have NO intention of buying a POS Ati v card at this time! NOT after all the problems I had with them! Maybe when Ati has built reliable v cards and stable drivers for a couple years, I mite reconsider then! Untill then, Hasta la vista baby!

Cheers,
Mike

Evnas said:

And i dont think you would be able to find a "POS ATi v card" at this time either ;) lol

You know Evnas, you pilfer the nvidia boards like a troll!
That's ALL I have ever see you do, troll the nvidia theads and even forums knocking the nvidia v cards. Do you see me in the Ati forums? NO.........

You know at some point, one would say enough of buying into the same ole story. I called it quits after 4 Ati v cards. And everyone had poor drivers, the first card, a Rage Fury, Ati left us owners hanging. Chief wanted to know specifically about nvidia v cards, he made a nvidia specific thread, NOT in the Ati forums. Yet all I see is trolls from Ati making cheap putdowns. Leave well enough alone will'ya, and take Peaknuckle2k4 with you..... I doubt it though. Maybe the mods can clean up the trolling if complaints are made to them?

I don't care for nvidia as a company and I could care less what happens to them. And the same applies for Ati. But at least I ain't in the Ati forums stirring up crap!

Mike

Mike, I for one was not trying to troll, I simply want this guy to not make the mistakes I've made buying hardware that is hyped and marketed well but performs well below what could have been had for the same price.

I'm curious, what are all of the 4 cards you've had before? I had a ATI@Home and I have to agree with you the drivers were horrible. Then I went to nVidia and was happy with my MX440, especially for the price I paid. I only went with a 9800np after much research and asking specific questions to see if ATI had cleaned up it's act with drivers. I don't know about the other cards by ATI but I know personaly that the Radeon 9000np and 9800np have very stable drivers. If this situation changes and nVidia gets the jump on ATI I'll be right back with nVidia. It's all about helping someone get the best hardware for the best price to me.

i am unbiased. At my job, i have to be. I don't take sides. Like the other guy said, we are just trying to help this guy buy a correct card, and not waste cash. Mike, you seem to be the nvidia fanboy.

Whats the sense of buying a card when it cannot play next gen games? I don't really care about ATI past, this is the present.

We clearly see the winner. Of course if the guy wants to waste his cash, its up to him. Mike, maybe you should have read my post.

Believe me, i have respect was nvidia. The Geforce 4 cards made a major impact on the graphics sector, if it wasn't for them, we probably wouldn't have all these great cards now.

But i will say it again, when buying hardware, you get whatever is the best for it's price.

BTW, evans is a fanboy, as it clearly says in his sig, don't include me.

Last edited:
Mike360000, i am unbiased also, i really wanted an nvidia for my computer but if you read around ati clearly does much better generally speaking. you really don't need to go around flipping out on people. in reguard to your thread, i thought that the 5900 non ultras were actually pretty good overclockers (i *thought* i saw a whole thread in here sometime about it getting really good cor and mem speeds)?

Pinnacle2k4 said:
i am unbiased. At my job, i have to be. I don't take sides. Like the other guy said, we are just trying to help this guy buy a correct card, and not waste cash. Mike, you seem to be the nvidia fanboy.

Whats the sense of buying a card when it cannot play next gen games? I don't really care about ATI past, this is the present.

We clearly see the winner. Of course if the guy wants to waste his cash, its up to him. Mike, maybe you should have read my post.

Believe me, i have respect was nvidia. The Geforce 4 cards made a major impact on the graphics sector, if it wasn't for them, we probably wouldn't have all these great cards now.

But i will say it again, when buying hardware, you get whatever is the best for it's price.

BTW, evans is a fanboy, as it clearly says in his sig, don't include me.

I thought you came across unduely harsh in answering Chief. Maybe, maybe not? I really didn't see his question being answered except nvidia sucks.

In many ways I agree nvidia does in fact suck, if you count any specific card as the overall winner. However does the v card Chief mention actually suck in comparison to similar models from different companies? Not really?

I would think if you weren't as biased as you claim you would have been a little more straight foreward and diplomatic in your statements.

And then I see good ole Evnas for the upteeth time. Just here spouting his fanboy bias as usual. He was doing the same thing when the GF4s and 8500's were having at each other. It just gets tiresome after awhile, reading his same ole crock!

I don't come to the video section often, but even when I go into the nvidia forum I am sure to read an eye full from Evnas.

I am here now looking around waiting for info on the upcoming fx 5700. I intend on putting my next v card in my current system, (P4PE-2.53 oc'ed to 3.1) and keeping this sytem until the drought of 2004 is over, as Ed has stated. (Mite up the cpu to a 3.06 and oc it when their prices fall.)

Maybe the fx 5700 will be better than the fx 5900? I'm waiting to see just what crops up here and reading a little on the fx 5900 to use it as a comparison later. I'll get 1 or the other, but I won't be getting anything Ati, that's for sure. Price can only get better for either of these 2 v cards, plus the 5900 U and 5950 U. I thank Ati for that. (Actually I'm glad to see Ati kicking nvidia in the er, you know where for a change! But I wouldn't have an Ati v card!)

Why..................

I lived through the horror days, even the early days of Ati , when they had a reputation so bad I wondered how they survived one day to the next! You felllas are mostly too young to remember when Ati was worse than a laughing stock.... Yet I bought them, each time to reviewer's and Ati fanboys claiming Ati had reformed their ways! And each time I got burned again...... and again. It's kind'of like the boy who cried wolf. Lie long enough and people won't believe you when it may be the real thing........ So maybe in a few years, if Ati REALLY shows they have changed their ways, ACCORDING to what I believe and see, and NOT what fanboys and reviewers has to say, then maybe I will consider getting another Ati. In the meantime Ati is still on probation and off limits to me, as I'm sure other people feel the same way or worse.

And don't misunderstand me, I dislike nvidia as a company very much. They are first class cheats. But I'l say this about them, they do suppoet their products and they haven't left their customers out, completely hanging as Ati has done more than once! And their drivers are 1st class, just as some of their *highly* optimized, er cheaterized drivers shows. Ati could only wish for a driver team that could manipulate and work such magic with their drivers. Ati has to struggle just to keep their drivers compatible with the computer hardware, even now! 2 wrongs or 2 idiots don't make a right. Neither Ati or nvidia is representative of a company anyone should praise.

In the meantime I can live easily with nvidia's top v cards in my system. They aren't bad at all, just not as fast as Ati's top v cards. Neither is no slouch. (Forget the Ati Pic IQ BS...........Yes it's BS cuz it's still WAY too early to tell what DX9 games will really be doing in the hands of fx and radeon owners.........)

Mike

Last edited:
mike i am no fanboy either, i would just as soon spend my money on ati as i would on nv, but nv cards right now blow, plain and simple. putting cheats in drivers is NOT a good thing. why? because it gives false claims of performance. i am sure ati could do it just as easily as nv, but they dont NEED to. their hardware is top notch, they dont need any cheats to keep up. if i were to use your logic i would never own another nv card again, i had 3 ti4200s that had to be rmad and a ti4400. all of them running at stock speeds. so i said screw it, i will try ati, and i have never been more pleased with a purchase. im all about performance and right now ati has it. if nv released a new card 3 months from now, that was faster AND cheaper, i would not hesitate to buy it. and no the ati pic IQ is not bs, you dont need to wait for newer games to see it, the images just look more crisp and brighter on ati cards. im not trying to sway you one way or the other im replying so the guy who started this thread could get some facts, not some biased POV. and just for the record, this isnt in the nv section, its in the general graphics section.

Fallen Phoenix said:

They are sold out as is their 9800 Pro's on BB.com.

Mike360000 said:

And then I see good ole Evnas for the upteeth time. Just here spouting his fanboy bias as usual. He was doing the same thing when the GF4s and 8500's were having at each other. It just gets tiresome after awhile, reading his same ole crock!

Mike

8500 and geforce 4ti? Thats kinda funny. I don't know much about the 8500le but i thought the card was made to compete with a geforce 3. Did evans said it was better than a geforce 4? If he did, he sure is wrong.

I remember the days Nvidia was king and ati was playing catchup. The geforce 4 ti4200 was selling like a hot cake, people were converting it to a higher card. I think the 9700 is the card to dethron nvidia.

By the way, the reason why i said and ati card was because i didn't think we were comparing vendors.
As for being bias, most of the time when i talk to people who are, they lack knowlege and only know about one side of the story. I normally tend not to listen to these people. I remember at another forum, this little kid was such a major intel fanboy, always saying o, intel got higher clock speed. If he did his research, he would know clock speed is not everything.

i believe evnas has a right to be biased....ati makes better cards right now...

i used to by only nvidia cards when they made the best cards but as of right now ati is the best...hence the purchase of my 9700 pro aiw

Back