• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

1.33 Ghz, 166 fsb, 1.0 Vcore.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

modenaf1

I just thought id post this, some other thread in here inspired me to see how low i could go. I figured why not becuase the AMD 1700 DLT3C 310 ran so hot at 2.4Ghz i couldnt even do it anyway. So, i wanted to see how low i could get the vcore. For some reason becuase it is still pretty hot here, i kinda wanted to generate as little heat as i could and see how cool the system would run and still be reasonable in speed. My ram and nbridge isnt that hot at 166 fsb, but it starts to get warm above that. So, i instantly set it to 1333 Mhz, and i thought id try it at 1.4vcore, it ran stable, 1.2 stable, and theni cranked it as low as it could go, 1.1, and becuase of a crappy PSu, it kinda runs between .98 and 1.07 vcore or something like that. Still stable. Im gonna see if i can get it to 1.47 ghz on 1.0vcore.

guess how many watts my cpu makes? 17. I think thats maybe just a little bit warmer than a northbridge. My internal CPU temp sensor registers 28.0C under load, my cpu surface temp registers at 26.0C and the temp sensor 3 cm away from the nbridge reads 30C

Why did i write this? becuase, just to let you all know, if you ever need a quiet system that will run with very quiet slow spinning fans and not overheat, the DLT3C 1700's and 1800's are pretty good for that. Im gonna try later on and see if i can get my volcano 9's smt fan 2 to run at 1500 rpm and still cool the cpu. I made a thread in gen cooling about the newer volcano 9 and smt fan 2 on how it has been improved, and one of those was that the usually smt fan 2 whine seemed to be elimated, so instead of making a "errrrrrrrrrrrr" no matter what, it now dosent make that noise, and at anything lower than 4200 RPM, you can not even hear the motor, or at least i cant. but all the air moving is still audible though. but It runs perfectly silent at 1500 RPM.

well this way yalls dont think im wasteing a perfectly good 1700 that will do 2.5 on air (gets real hot though), once i get chilled watercooling ill bump this bad boy up to 2.7 ish Ghz:D

-f1

Hey ModenaF1,

Let us know how you get on with the passive cooling of this.
17 watts is quite a lot to cool passively in my limited experience.
With the small die size of this chip; I’m assuming it’s a Thoroughbred, even more so.

Champions again hey!

Regards

Crow

Hate to be a prick, but that's actually a hair above 20W. Passive, probably not, but extremely quiet, yes. Gratz on having such an awesome processor.

thanks gautam, yeah, i just whent with the sisoft reading. if i had one of those super dooper zalman thingys or even an slk947 i might be able to do it passive, but NO WAY with a volcano 9, i did get it running VERY quiet though. the "new" v9's smt fn 2 dosent make the usuall smt fan whine, at about 3000 rpm, i cant hear it at all. well, i can, but i have to try pretty hard to hear it.

the other thread with more comments is found here. http://forum.oc-forums.com/vb/showthread.php?s=&postid=2198038

you will never do it passivly without some very good case-flow. been there, tried that, failed it.
xp1700_stock_1.1v_no_fan.jpg

stock xp1800 speed - 1533mhz @ 1.15v 80mm fan @2400rpm.

without a fan, in just over ten minutes the cpu temp rose to over 60c. with the fan (which is totaly silent) it was bearly 4c over ambient @ full load.

wow 20 watts is pretty damn low!!! I say drop her to a ghz and see how low you can go! How many watts does one of them 1ghz via C3 put out?

Thanks James, those numbers look just fine to me.

Are you using the X-Dream’s stock fan? Is it the HAC-V81 or the HSC-V83 (X-DREAM SE) model?

I’m wondering how you can hook one of those to be controlled by Speedfan, as I know they come with a molex power connector as well as a 3 pin header for rpm monitoring? I’m wary about powering it from the mobo as at full speed it should draw quite a lot of power due to running at 4,800 rpm.

The second fan reading is from the power supply I guess! Did you swap that out for something quieter? I’m looking to buy a new case, probably an Antec, but will swap out the P/S fan as my previous Antec was not exactly quiet. Great case though.

Thanks

Crow

np. its the standard x-dream fan. you could control it with speedfan, but i really dont advise it - it wouldnt take long to burn the motherboard out. besides, the fan already has a pot to control the speed so thats not really a problem.

as for the other fan yes, it was the stock 80mm fan in my enermax psu (it has an 80mm and a 92mm). I never realised that the were reading exactly the same speed when i took the shot lol.

That speed was with the 80mm psu fan at full btw (its adjustable) it its lowest setting, it spins at just over 1700rpm. yes - its very quiet:)

oh i forgot to mention, thats with no case fans:D

well, only problem is i cant go below 1.0vcore :( but i did get t to 1.5 Ghz on 1.0vcore :D

yeah your probably right, i will need some air moving over the heatsink. But, rihgt now besides awsomeness, i have no real need to go passive, my smt fan 2 is making NO noise that i can hear over the PSU so hey i couldnt be happier. although i want to take a jigsaw or something to my psu cover, the inlet holes are to small making noise from the air turbulence as the fan tries to suck stuff in.

Hi James,

Thanks for clearing that up. I was bemused by the Speedfan screen capture, couldn’t work out what was going on!

ModenaF1 said:

<<well, only problem is i cant go below 1.0vcore but i did get t to 1.5 Ghz on 1.0vcore>>

I feel for you :)
Damn, that sounds fine to me. I’m going to order me some parts in the next 5 days and get this project on the road.
I just installed a Satellite Receiver in my current quiet PC and it’s maxing out the CPU when recording a video stream. It’s a P3 800 EB and in need of a boost. I bought the card mainly to receive and record radio but I’m digging the TV signal quality also.

Crow

Very nice, my board won't allow for voltage below 1.725v. I can keep my X-dreams fan on low though. (pretty quiet 3000rpm, it is suppose to go down to 2500, but doesnt.) Now I just need to get my quiet case fans ordered.

Back