• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

My suggestion for xbox2 and ps3

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

still_runnin

Registered
I just picked a busted ps2 at a rummage sale for 15 dollars and fixed it but that is a different story. Anyways, I bought a couple of great games like MGS2 and GT3, both praised for the graphics in the games. The graphics are not even close to the graphics my 9700pro can put out at 1600x1200 though. I bought this ps2 the same time I put my first computer together. Before this computer, i was playing games at 800x600 resolution on my tnt2 so ps2 looked great when I played it at a friends house, but now im not the least bit impressed. Its more the tv's fault since tv resolution is still so low if you don't go high definition. I think the ps3 and xbox2 should hold off until high definition tv is standard. I dont think that the graphics could improve with the ps3 and xbox2 with the bottleneck the tv is giving. Im wondering if any of you know when the new systems will be released or if they will be made for high definition tvs. I also heard something about high definition will be standard at the end of 2004 unless you have a special, expensive adapter, but I heard this a long time ago and I dont remember who i heard it from. Just wondering what imput you have.

Well I can see that you obviously dont work for Sony or M$. No they'll release their next gen consoles soon, and ppl will buy them like hotcakes. Then in 3 or 4 more years when hi def is standard and plasma is becoming main stream etc, then they'll relase the PS4 and Xbox 3. Why wait and give customers a solid console when they can relase 2 marginally better ones and make beaucoup bucks off of em...

But yea if they werent in it for dinero that would be the smart thing ta do.

Or perhaps the PS3 and X-box 2.....Gamecube 2 too, but Nintendo is doing badly.....will be high-definition ready, but scaleable to the average TV. So that they can still be released in '05 when High def will be much more standard than it is right now, and then those who have high def will really enjoy the games.

the consoles now have Hi def scalibility espcially the Xbox but plain and simple consoles are meant to be cheap and play games... They cant make games all that graphically better until components drop and a method for storing the game on a new receptacle that allows massive datra to be stored with no loading. SInce i dont belive consoles have any RAM.

Like Robrules18 said - Xbox is already High-definition capable, but only a few games support it. Unfortunately the majority of people won't start switching over to high definition tvs until 2005, so until that time most game developers will continue to release games that don't support high definition. I have an HDTV and the only game I have played in that format is THPS4 in 720p. At that resolution I would say it is pretty comparable to my monitor. What will really make the next gen console beautiful is the inclusion of AA and Anistropic filtering. I can't wait for a game like Resident Evil 5 with movie studio quality graphics on a 57" HDTV.

Oh, the days of Pitfall and Donkey Kong are so far behind us. I really hope I never grow out of gaming.

December 31,2006 is the set date for HDTV to become "the" standard.
http://ftp.fcc.gov/cgb/consumerfacts/digitaltv.html

The XBOX2 and PS3 will be out before that. I just read at IGN that the PS3 will be out mid 2006, since the cell chip is supposed to enter production around 2005. http://ps2.ign.com/articles/454/454223p1.html

Normally all the console companies stick releases close to eachother, since everyone wants to be first. Despite them being released early, they will probably still support HDTV, its way too much of a marketing gimmic for M$ to be the only one with HDTV support.

The idea I would want to see, is for the consoles to be able to do this nativally: http://www.9xmedia.com/Pages-products/2000 - Xwall.html

Not with so many screens, but maybe for two/four screen setups. Then in multiplayer we no longer have to put on our binoculars just to figure out whats going on. I posted a thread on it awhile back, but people said the video cards could not support rendering 2-4 times. But in reality the video card only renders once, since its a whole seperate device splitting the signal. Probably going to cost an arm and a leg, but I would would buy it if they sold it as an add on.

Dracknem said:
Or perhaps the PS3 and X-box 2.....Gamecube 2 too, but Nintendo is doing badly.....will be high-definition ready, but scaleable to the average TV. So that they can still be released in '05 when High def will be much more standard than it is right now, and then those who have high def will really enjoy the games.

Nintendo is considering going the way of Sega. If they haven't made the choice already. Games will still be here, but we'll be forced to buy consoles from huge companies that don't give a crap about gamers in their hearts, only in their wallets. Sony has a history with Nintendo and elsewhere so they do have some of my respect. Ken K has a lot of my respect as well. M$ can show themselves the door in the console business for all I care. I bought an Xbox and it was the poorest investment I've ever made. I should have gotten a GC and supported Nintendo, who had been the best babysitter and teacher to me when I was little.

Robrules18 said:
the consoles now have Hi def scalibility espcially the Xbox but plain and simple consoles are meant to be cheap and play games...

So WHY do the freaking games cost $50 ???
no hard feelings but that always Pxxxxd me off.
Tottaly rip off. Especially if the main target customers are supposed to be kids.

:mad: ;)

NiTCOM said:

So WHY do the freaking games cost $50 ???
no hard feelings but that always Pxxxxd me off.
Tottaly rip off. Especially if the main target customers are supposed to be kids.

:mad: ;)

Probably something from the cartridge days. Though many new good games are under 40 dollars upon release now. Don't forget the Greatest Hit's collection if you have a PSX or PS2.

The next gen consoles are suposed to be out late 2k5 or sometime 2k6 and Nintendo claims they will be first.

Nintendo is definitly not planning on going the way of Sega (atleast as of a few month ago when I read an article in ...GMR I think were they interview one of Myomito (whatever Sp?) top guys or, maybe it was him). They said so long as they were making money off the units they could make their own system and so long as they could make their own system, they would.

Games are $50 because thats what we will pay for them. I remember paying about that much for Atari games (well, me mums actually paid).

I think by 2k6 there should be a decent amount of people with HDTVs to support HD games. The next gen should kind of be the transition consoles.

OC Noob said:

Nintendo is definitly not planning on going the way of Sega (atleast as of a few month ago when I read an article in ...GMR I think were they interview one of Myomito (whatever Sp?) top guys or, maybe it was him)...

I read the same article, and if I remeber right there was a quote that pretty much meant that as long as Nintendo is in business, it will be a hardware based seller. I think it also went even farther as saying they would rather close their doors than be a software only corporation.

that screen thing is AWESOME, if i had 100,000 bucks id get the 64 23.1" screens for 94,000 then id spend the last 6k on surrond sound... buts thats a little more than half my house worth so.... not gonna happen...

actually i need a generator or 2 and a new wall since all 64 TVs weigh just shy of 1200 pounds!!! and would be alil bigger than 14 feet by 9 feet:eek:

cack01 said:

I read the same article, and if I remeber right there was a quote that pretty much meant that as long as Nintendo is in business, it will be a hardware based seller. I think it also went even farther as saying they would rather close their doors than be a software only corporation.

What article is this? I had an interview at a 3rd party dev last month and we talked about Nintendo and their situation. They believe what I do.

I think it was EB's magazine (GMR) or Gamestops Magazine (GI), but I can't remeber for sure. I'll did through my pile of old magazine and give you the month if it hasn't been thrown away.

He was very clear about the making money on gamecube units (not just games) and that they would be making their own console, but s**t happens. Maybe what you are hearing is a rumor or maybe there is some basis to it.

Sorry dude, must've tossed it. Cack01 you still have it?

Last edited:
PS3's CPU (and it'll have 8 of them) won't even be ready to start manufacturing until at least late next summer. I know someone consulting on that project- just can't really talk about it....

December 31,2006 is the set date for HDTV to become "the" standard.

if only that were true. digital TV is not HDTV. all TV has to be switched over to digital by then, channels are still standard definition just transmitted digitally.

xtrmeocr said:

if only that were true. digital TV is not HDTV. all TV has to be switched over to digital by then, channels are still standard definition just transmitted digitally.

This is true, but by 2006 I would wager the majority of the programming will be filmed in HD and transmitted that way also. Look how much content is available already.

Back