• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Project Zelda

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Ah, man. You guys are nuts. Can't you all see that A Link to the Past is the best game ever? :D

Great job on the PSU! Keep going! I can't wait to see this when it's done.

CamH said:
Ah, man. You guys are nuts. Can't you all see that A Link to the Past is the best game ever? :D

I'm gonna have to ditto that one......OoT was awesome, but just didnt have the "feeling" that LttP had

impa.gif

IMPA, THE FIRST TIME LINK MEETS HER:

I am Impa of the Sheikahs.
I am responsible for protecting Princess Zelda. Everything is exactly as the Princess foretold. You are a courageous boy...
You are heading out on a big, new adventure, aren't you?
My role in the Princess's dream was to teach a melody to the one from the forest. This is an ancient melody passed down by the Royal Family.
I have played this song for Princess Zelda as a lullaby ever since she was a baby... There is mysterious power in these notes.
Now listen carefully...
(whistles through her hands)
Memorize this song...
(You've learned Zelda's Lullaby!)
If the castle soldiers find you, there will be trouble. Let me lead you out of the castle.
(outside Hyrule Castle Town)
You brave lad...
We must protect this beautiful land of Hyrule!
Take a good look at that mountain. That is Death Mountain, home of the Gorons. They hold the Spiritual Stone of Fire.
At the foot of Death Mountain you will find my village, Kakariko. That is where I was born and raised. You should talk to some of the villagers there before you go up Death Mountain. The song I just taught you has some mysterious power. Only Royal Family members are allowed to learn this song. Remember, it will help to prove your connection with the Royal Family. The Princess is waiting for you to return to the castle with the stones. All right. We're counting on you!
*poof* (she disappears)

--------------------------------------------------------------

Things have been a little busy so I havent been able to mod as much, but today I had some free time :)

Started off working on the cd-rw's exterior, the only problem i had was the fact that there was a bit of residue left from the sticker originally on it.

028.jpg

but...

029.jpg

Theres always a remedy for that, aka goof off hehe
Finished sanding then went for the paint.

030.jpg

Looked nice and smooth and even to me :)

(Cont. in next post)

Last edited:
After painting that, I decided "hey, why not, I need to do it sooner or later" and brought out the dremel to smite its foe the evil steel.. but what might I be cutting for?

031.jpg

Preperation for cuttage

032.jpg

ooo its a vfd! haha I got this vfd from Cold Dog a bit back and had been using it with my current case, but outside the box, this time around it will get a proper home. The cut wasnt completely perfect, so all I have to do now is give it a filing and it should look great

That's it for this edition
More soon!

dar.gif

DARUNIA, WHEN LINK FIRST MEETS HIM:
What the heck? Who are you?!
When I heard the song of the Royal Family, I expected their messenger had arrived, but... you're just a little kid!
Has Darunia, the big boss of the Gorons, really lost so much status to be treated like this by his Sworn Brother, the King?
Now, I'm REALLY angry! Get out of my face, now!
Are you asking why I'm in such a bad mood right now?
Ancient creatures have infested the Dodongo's Cavern! We've had a poor harvest of our special crop, Bomb Flowers! Starvation and hunger because of the rock shortage!
But... This is a Goron problem! We don't need any help from strangers!

(Play Saria's song)

Heeey!! What a nice tune!
Just like that, my depression is all gone! Something just came over me! I suddenly wanted to dance like crazy!
I am Darunia! I'm the big boss of the Gorons! Was there something you wanted to ask me about?
What? You want the Spiritual Stone of Fire, too?
The Spiritual Stone of Fire, also known as the Goron's Ruby, is our race's hidden treasure...
But hold on--I'm not going to give it to you that easily.
If you want it so badly... Why don't you go destroy the monsters inside of the Dodongo's Cavern and prove you're a real man?
That way, everybody will be happy again! If you do it, I will give you anything you want, even the Spiritual Stone! I have something for you. I'm not really giving you this in return for anything, but take it anyway.
If you wear this, even a little fella like you can pick up a Bomb Flower.
(get Goron's Bracelet)
Destroy the monsters in the Dodongo's Cavern and become a real man! Then, we can talk about the Spiritual Stone!

---------------------------------------------------------------

Update

I've been pretty busy with school lately, among other things, so I havent had much time to keep up with the log daily haha, but here's what i've done in my free time.

035.jpg

Painted the drive tray and faceplate of cd-rw, as well as sleeved a couple fans and painted their molex's

033.jpg

Sunday, I got a couple files and worked on the vfd cutout, it looks much cleaner now :D as well as 6 cans of paint in preperation (one is missing from the pic though haha). You cant really tell from the picture, but it's rustoleum's hunter green.

034.jpg

I ordered some leds from chi-wing of ebay. The color is the same as the cathodes ;) Muahah, i'll never tell, you'll have to keep an eye out to find out the secret color

More updates planned later this week, hopefully

cupidr17 said:
hmm...i think links awakening was better or on par with OoT...with wind waker coming second

disregard what i said. I was trying to think of the one for snes. But yea, the one for SNES (a link to the past?) was the best.

JML said:

I can't wait to actually see the case

i agree, all we have gotten to see is components, lookin forward to the lights too.

and i just felt that once again, i enjoy this mod more than most others because of the reminders of game events.

This is looking pretty cool. Ok this is awsome man. keep it going. Oot was wonderful...only to have my hopes smashed by Majoras mask...(cornyiest ending ever).

haha I got majora's mask, I was so excited when I got it, and I think I played about 20mins of the game and never touched it since

ditto 1: majora's mask was highly dissapointing......anyone know what the one coming after windwaker is?

Ditto 2: I'm pretty excited to see the final touches man, keep us updated.....

DARUNIA, AFTER LINK BEATS KING DODONGO:
It's me, Darunia! Well done!
Thanks to you, we can once again eat the delicious rocks from the Dodongo's Cavern until our stomachs burst!
What a wild adventure! It will make an incredible story...
I can't believe that the Dodongos suddenly appeared in such great numbers! And that big rock blocking the cave...
All this trouble must have been caused by that Gerudo thief, Ganondorf!
He said, "Give me the Spiritual Stone! Only then will I open the cave for you!" You, on the other hand, risked your life for us...
Kid, I like you!
How's about you and I become Sworn Brothers?!
No, there's no big ceremony involved! Just take this as a token of our friendship!
(obtain Goron's Ruby)
Brother! You'll keep brushing up on your skills as you travel, won't you?
You should go see the Great Fairy on top of Death Mountain! She will power you up!
Hey, everybody! Let's see off our Brother!
(Ahhhhhh)

--------------------------------------------

Alrighty, time for another update :D

Thanks guys, and I agree about Majora - I beat the first boss, then just kind of gave up and havent touched it since. The time element really turned me off, because I like to take a leisurely pace and explore everything.

036.jpg

This is the cable for the vfd, power and parallel. I sleeved it up.. whooo how exciting

037.jpg

Here's the completed cd-rw. The paint looks a little off around the circular dealy that holds the magnet thingy in, but that's been fixed now thanks to Mr. Sharpie

038.jpg

Finally, I started work on the front panel, chopping off all those air restrictive and somewhat ugly fins. I used a regular cut off wheel, and then a grinding stone to smooth out the bumps. The bondo next to it wont be used for a while, because I plan to cutout a fanhole for the front fan, and then bondo up the problematic areas. I've never worked with bondo before, so anyone have any tips? haha

OWL, BY ZORA'S RIVER:
Hoo hoo! Looks like you've gotten bigger and stronger already, Link!
Just ahead lies Zora's Domain. The Zoras serve Hyrule's Royal Family by protecting this water source.
Their door will not open for anyone except those who have some connection with the Royal Family.
Let them hear the melody of the Royal Family!
Hooo hoo hoooot!

- - - - - - - - -
kingzora.gif

KING ZORA, WHEN LINK SHOWS HIM THE LETTER IN A BOTTLE:

Ho, this letter! It's from Princess Ruto!!
Hmmm...Let's see...
She's inside Lord Jabu-Jabu? That's not possible!
Our guardian god, Lord Jabu-Jabu, would never eat my dear Princess Ruto! But since that stranger, Ganondorf, came here, Lord Jabu-Jabu has been a little green around the gills... The evidence seems clear.
Of course, you'll go find Ruto. You can pass through here to the altar of Lord Jabu-Jabu. I'll keep this letter. You keep the bottle it was in. Take it respectfully! Please find my dear Princess Ruto immediately...

--------------------------------------

Update time, albiet a small one

I worked on the front panel a bit, and cut the fanhole

041.jpg

The fan behind it gives a better idea of what to come

040.jpg

cut the front fangrill out, and gave it a bit of a filing

039.jpg

Primed up the other side panel, too bad its just the primer because the application was excellent haha

I sanded and primed/painted the dvd rom's case as well, but since it looks similar to the cd-rw, i wont bother with pics untill it's finished and put back together

Today I had to work, so I brought the chasis in, and gave it a good sanding.
Had a bit of an accident last night though, I wanted to burn a cd, and didnt want to turn my main rig off, to plug the cd-rw in... i really should have *Doh!*, I put the molex in the wrong way, it shorted the system out and rebooted, and i think may have damage the cd-rw, because when I shut down, and tried to boot up, it gave me a solid orange led, and the tray wouldnt open when i pushed the button...
ah well, it was a 32x burner anyway, time to upgrade :D

That's about it for this update, hope to have more soon

how do you plug a molex into a cd drive the wrong way, dont they only go in one way? must not be very good at jigsaw puzzels :p

mage_x said:
how do you plug a molex into a cd drive the wrong way, dont they only go in one way? must not be very good at jigsaw puzzels :p
i didnt say i got it in, i attempted to, because i wasnt paying attention to direction - everyones tried to plug it in the wrong way at least once :p

and for the record, i'm probally not the best at puzzles hahah

ruto1.gif

PRINCESS RUTO, WHEN LINK FINDS HER:
You? Who are you?! I am Ruto, Princess of the Zoras.
What?! Are you saying my father asked you to come her to save me?
I'd never ask anyone to do such a thing! "Letter in a Bottle?" I have no idea what you're talking about! My father is worried about me? I don't care! Anyway, I can't go home right now. And you... Get out of here!Understand?!
(walks away, falls into hole) Ooooh Noooooo!
(talk again)
Are you still hanging around here? I told you to go away!
I'm OK. I've been going inside Lord Jabu-Jabu's belly since I was little, but... Lord Jabu-Jabu is very strange today... There are electrified jellyfish and strange holes around... On top of that, my precious stone was...but... That's none of your business! Anyway... You! Go home now! Understand?!
(talk again)
You're that worried about me? Then I will give you the honor of carrying me! However...I won't leave until I find the thing I'm looking for. You'd better believe me!

- - - - - - - - - - -
RUTO, FINDING THE SPIRITUAL STONE OF WATER:
That's it! That's what I've been looking for! Throw me up there! Onto the platform!
(Princess Ruto got the Spiritual Stone! But why Princess Ruto?)
Oh my goodness! I finally found... My mother's stone... I got very upset when Lord Jabu-Jabu swallowed it... While I was feeding him, he suddenly swallowed me! I was so surprised I dropped it inside... But, now that I've found it, I don't need to be in here anymore! So, take me home, right now!
(platform rises, Ruto screams)

--------------------------------------------------

Another update :)

Worked a bit today, and had fun with bondo

042.jpg

First I took a scrap of lexan i had lying around, and cut it to fit behind the area i planned to bondo up, in the picture above, you'll see that behind it, i taped it in with masking tape, just for extra security.

043.jpg

The bondo applied, and still wet

I plan to cut out the fanhole in the lexan later, or remove the lexan - but i'm swaying to just cutting the hole because the lexan gives it some support

I also worked a bit with the led's

044.jpg

As shown in the image above, i removed the orange led's and replaced them with the "Secret" color. I decided to leave the main green led alone, and not switch it with another led, because it fit well with the theme, and it saves time cutting and soldering haha
I also sleeved it up, unfortunately i'm running out of sleeving, so I had to use a size too small, but it looks ok none the less.

That's all for today
-DRxAndy

Back