• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Project Zelda

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

DRxAndy

treelink.jpg

Link...
The time has come to test thy courage...
I have been cursed...
I need you to break the curse with your wisdom and courage.
Dost thou have courage enough to undertake this task?

The Curse: A stock case (Antec slk3700amb)
The Remedy: Modification

I have been a huge fan of the Legend of Zelda series, ever since I played Ocarina of time (yes I know that isnt very far back in the LOZ chronology, but this game hooked me with its deep story, wonderful layout and design, and for the time beautiful graphics.)

No one has made a Zelda themed case to my knowlege, and I feel that it deserves a tribute.

With that said, on with the work log!

for original stock images check out:
http://www.newegg.com/app/Showimage...22-06.JPG/11-129-122-02.JPG/11-129-122-01.JPG

first thing first, I cut out the back stock fangrill, the hexigonal shapes made it a bit of a hassle because they left holes where there shouldnt be, but i plan to fix that soon

2.jpg

I decided, before I go ahead with sanding the main case, I wanted to work on the psu. The color scheme for the outside is planned to be Green, with black accents, and other colors in accordance to design. First up, disassembly, but I ran into a snag. Other psu's i've worked with came apart with no problem, but this one had some little circuit board with an aparatus i'd guess was power surge protection, take a look in the pic below

4.jpg

So to work around that, i cut the wires connecting it to the psu and slipped a sandwich bag over/though the hole and taped it tightly at the end. From there it was ready to sand.

5.jpg

all sanded and ready for painting :)

6.jpg

More on the way very soon!!

Last edited:
owl.gif

THE OWL, OUTSIDE KOKIRI FOREST:

Hoo hoot!
Link...
Look up here!
It appears that the time has finally come for you to start your adventure!
You will encounter many hardships ahead... That is your fate. Don't feel discouraged, even during the toughest times!
Go straight this way and you will see Hyrule Castle.
You will meet a princess there...
If you are lost and don't know which way to go, look at the Map.
All right then, I'll see you around!
Hoot hoot hoot ho!

-----------------------------------

Painting the psu:

I got a nice deal on a 4 pack of camoflauge krylon from walmart for $2.00, included were black, tan, brown, and olive - even though i wont be using the other colors at the moment, black went into effect.

010.jpg

Weapon of Choice

9.jpg

The box makes a nice painting stand eh

8.jpg

Here's a pic of the bottom

Just about 10 minutes ago I gave the bottom (with the 80mm fanhole) a nice black gloss coat.
When painting the main part of the psu for the first time, it tipped over when i brought it inside... so i had to sand again and re-spray, so i'll wait overnight to spray with the gloss.

Pics of both parts glossed will be posted soon :D

Last edited:
You've chosen an excellent theme :)

Just don't paint any pictures of wooden swords on the case! (damn that old man!)

nope, the theme is zelda, so i'm theming the worklog around the dialog of OOT haha
the deku tree was just a nice opening line

hehe, i have followed and beaten nearly every Zelda game known to man (except a lot of the gameboy ones and majoras mask) Anyway, wonderful idea, would love to see how it works out.

Maybe you could make a replicate of the master sword and have it stuck through the top of your case.

cupidr17 said:
Maybe you could make a replicate of the master sword and have it stuck through the top of your case.

That's definately an interesting idea, and could be worked into a beautiful case.... *idea* :D

Update time

OWL, OUTSIDE CASTLE:
Hey, Link! This way!
The princess is inside the castle just ahead. Be careful not to get caught by the guards!
Ho ho ho hoot!

Well, well, which way are you going to go now?
Hoo hoo hoot!
Hoooo. You're a smart kid.
Good luck, then. Hoo hoo.

-----------------------------------------------------

Thanks guys!
nice avatar JoT :cool:

Time for an update!
unfortunatly yesterday it rained, so I had to wait untill today to finish up the painting.

011.jpg

I've read several places that the best way to apply a nice smooth paint job is in thin coats, and the way to thin the paint is by putting the can in hot water for a couple minutes. I had this large cup from a Central Michigan university football game, and it works perfectly :D

013.jpg

Heres the bottom of the psu (with the fan hole), the ring isnt a paint splotch, it's actually the overhead light's reflection

012.jpg

The top of the psu was giving me a lot of trouble, it might just be because i'm trying to go a little faster than I should, and applying the paint wrong, but i think i got it right this time (after about 3 times of having to sand haha)

(continued in next post)

Last edited:
014.jpg

Since I had the black paint out, I figured why not do the case feet as well.

015.jpg

Yesterday I got one of my orders from svc (includes small sleeving for fan tails, as well as other small wires, heatshrink, and some nifty black thumbscrews), and today from newegg the dvd rom

Thats all for this update, the next one should be soon :D

Last edited:
Re: Update time

DRxAndy said:
nice avatar JoT :cool:

Thank ya, I've been a Zelda fan since the original :D

Are you going to have Link, the Triforce, or possibly the Master Sword painted onto the case anywhere?

Re: Re: Update time

JoT said:

Thank ya, I've been a Zelda fan since the original :D

Are you going to have Link, the Triforce, or possibly the Master Sword painted onto the case anywhere?

you'll have to keep an eye out on this thread to find out :D
haha, but chances are very very good on at least 2/3

Kino> Do you mean what kind of paint, or what i used to hold them in place?

Paint = Krylon gloss, same kind as used on psu (yeah i know, vinyl dye would work better, but i figured might as well, i'll give them a clear coat once they dry over a couple days)

Holders = the type of pins that are used in sewing, like for holding the template of something to the material, i got them from my mom, and they work great for holding small details that need to be painted

the small dots that would go in the middle of the feet were just pushed into the cardboard

SOLDIER GUARDING GATE TO HYRULE CASTLE:
So you say you want to see Princess Zelda, eh?
You probably heard about her in town and decided you had to meet her... Well...
Go home! Get out of here!
The Princess would never grant an audience to the likes of you!

------------------------------------------

Time for another update!

017.jpg

I finally got the power supply painted the way i wanted, its nice and shiny, with a pretty much even paint job, not much is noticably wrong with it - and its just the powersupply anyway.

016.jpg

hmmm day of the dead + sandpaper + sanding block = ?

018.jpg

haha, it took me about 3 hours (the movie + the other disc's behind the scenes and out takes haha) to sand the panel to the way I wanted it. Behind it, is the other side panel to give a compare/contrast. I used 40 grit Aluminum oxide sandpaper, and it did the trick nicely.

019.jpg

Got another package today, containing some cold cathodes (i wont specify the color, you'll have to find out soon), a vantec 120mm stealth, and some of those noise damping silicon dealies (i've never tried them before, but i figured hey - why not)

Thats all for this update, but more should be on the way pretty soon :D

Last edited:
Back