• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

The end is near?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

cooldrum3

It seems like all of a sudden, everyone is talking like Phase I could be ending tomorrow. Any estimates as to how close it really is? Personally, I don't think it's coming till the begining of December, at the earliest.

Only What SETIatHome Said

I'm basing my actions on the last we had heard from the powers that be, which was that by the end of October everyone should receive an email with the information about their new BOINC/SAH account, and that approx. 30 days later they would stop uploads/downloads to the old client. Obviously based on history, nothing that they say happens on time, but the handwriting is on the wall so to speak for Phase I as far as the current client is concerned.

SkyHook

The way I see it, they're on rugby time. That is pretty much saying yeah be there at noon, but if ya get there at 2:30 it's no problem. Why speculate? I hear no fat lady, so crunch on!

I'm hoping I can hit one more milestone before then but I don't think I'll make it. When Phase 2 starts I"ll be there.

Cy

You need to read this post from Berkeley - people seem to keep missing it or ignoring it:We will soon release a new version of SETI@home, based on BOINC, a general-purpose platform for distributed computing projects like SETI@home. Eventually other distributed computing projects (like Folding@home and ClimatePrediction.net) will also use BOINC, and you'll be able to share your computer time among projects of your choosing.

BOINC makes it possible for us to release new versions of SETI@home without requiring you to download and install new software. It will also let us do new analyses of the SETI@home data, looking for other types of radio signals (such as short pulses from evaporating black holes).

Switching to SETI@home/BOINC will be easy:
# Create an account using the SETI@home web site. This will give you an account ID, sent by email. Note: accounts will created automatically for all current SETI@home users (see below).
# Download and install the BOINC client program when it becomes available.
# Uninstall SETI@home.
# When you first run the BOINC client, enter your SETI@home account ID.
Stages of the transition
We don't have an exact timetable yet, but the transition will be staged as follows:

1. We will make a snapshot of SETI@home user information (accounts, teams, profiles) and will use it to initialize the SETI@home/BOINC database. We will then launch the SETI@home/BOINC project.
2. Over the next month or so we will send email to all SETI@home users, giving them their new account IDs and recommending that they switch to BOINC. During this period you can continue to run the current SETI@home, and your results will be recorded and used. New SETI@home accounts and team changes can be made, but will not be carried over to BOINC.
3. We will turn off the current SETI@home server. At this point you will need to switch to SETI@home/BOINC.

What will happen to my workunit totals?

BOINC keeps track of your computer's work in terms of actual computation, not workunits. This is necessary because BOINC projects may have workunits of many different "sizes". Because of this change, all SETI@home/BOINC accounts will start with zero credit.

However, the workunit totals from the current SETI@home will be recorded in our database, and a section of our web site will show the final totals.
What will happen with SETI@home teams?

All current SETI@home teams, and their membership, will be copied over to SETI@home/BOINC. The work totals for teams will also start from zero.
What will happen with programs like SETIQueue and SETI Monitor?

These programs (which have been very useful with SETI@home Classic) won't work with SETI@home/BOINC. Their main function (buffering multiple work units) is provided by BOINC itself, which allows you to specify how much work your computer should get each time it contacts the server.
Will the format of input and output files change?

Yes. Programs which display information about the signals found in SETI@home work units will need to be modified to support the new (XML) data formats used by SETI@home/BOINC. Authors of such programs are encouraged to contact the SETI@home team for sample input and output files.

speaking of time left and goal, I was pretty sure I could have the last cert. (the big 100k) sometimes around the year end. however, now it's gonna be a question mark and time will tell.....

Im hopeing I can get into the top 100 before its over with and the big move is made to bonic and I give the amd machine to the folders... And firmly be a nonsmoker,,, this quiting cigs has been near murder on the world and my family!!!

psy

TC said:
You need to read this post from Berkeley - people seem to keep missing it or ignoring it:We will soon release a new version of SETI@home, based on BOINC, a general-purpose platform for distributed computing projects like SETI@home. Eventually other distributed computing projects (like Folding@home and ClimatePrediction.net) will also use BOINC, and you'll be able to share your computer time among projects of your choosing.

BOINC makes it possible for us to release new versions of SETI@home without requiring you to download and install new software. It will also let us do new analyses of the SETI@home data, looking for other types of radio signals (such as short pulses from evaporating black holes).

Switching to SETI@home/BOINC will be easy:
# Create an account using the SETI@home web site. This will give you an account ID, sent by email. Note: accounts will created automatically for all current SETI@home users (see below).
# Download and install the BOINC client program when it becomes available.
# Uninstall SETI@home.
# When you first run the BOINC client, enter your SETI@home account ID.
Stages of the transition
We don't have an exact timetable yet, but the transition will be staged as follows:

1. We will make a snapshot of SETI@home user information (accounts, teams, profiles) and will use it to initialize the SETI@home/BOINC database. We will then launch the SETI@home/BOINC project.
2. Over the next month or so we will send email to all SETI@home users, giving them their new account IDs and recommending that they switch to BOINC. During this period you can continue to run the current SETI@home, and your results will be recorded and used. New SETI@home accounts and team changes can be made, but will not be carried over to BOINC.
3. We will turn off the current SETI@home server. At this point you will need to switch to SETI@home/BOINC.

What will happen to my workunit totals?

BOINC keeps track of your computer's work in terms of actual computation, not workunits. This is necessary because BOINC projects may have workunits of many different "sizes". Because of this change, all SETI@home/BOINC accounts will start with zero credit.

However, the workunit totals from the current SETI@home will be recorded in our database, and a section of our web site will show the final totals.
What will happen with SETI@home teams?

All current SETI@home teams, and their membership, will be copied over to SETI@home/BOINC. The work totals for teams will also start from zero.
What will happen with programs like SETIQueue and SETI Monitor?

These programs (which have been very useful with SETI@home Classic) won't work with SETI@home/BOINC. Their main function (buffering multiple work units) is provided by BOINC itself, which allows you to specify how much work your computer should get each time it contacts the server.
Will the format of input and output files change?

Yes. Programs which display information about the signals found in SETI@home work units will need to be modified to support the new (XML) data formats used by SETI@home/BOINC. Authors of such programs are encouraged to contact the SETI@home team for sample input and output files.

I saw that post. From the looks of it though, we could still be crunching on Phase I in December. Berkeley keeps telling us "soon, soon" and refuses to give a date or even a month for implementation. That is why I think we still have some time left on Phase I.

Back