• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Looking for a aluminum (possible lian-li) need suggestions

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Frost Byte

I am starting to build my next computer. I'm starting off with the case only so I can wait till its exactly the way I want it before I put all the components in it.

I am going with the brush aluminum look. But I might do a clear case too, that isn't what is planned right now.

I like the lian-li cases because they are very simple and "industrious." There isn't much too them, and that is what draws me in.

A few questions about lian-li. Since they are expensive, i'm not going to get one before i know more about them. Aare they sturdy? If you own one, do you like it?

With this sort of look, can you guys suggest any other alternatives? Needs to be simple, but not ugly

thanks

Frost Byte

I own a Lian-Li PC-65B. I love this case. I never tire of looking at it.

As for sturdiness yes it is very sturdy. Its made of 1.2mm aluminum and all of the edges are rolled over. Not only is this nice because you don't have all kinds of sharp edges to cut yourself on but it increases the strength of the case as well. This case has done alot of lan party duties and it does not have a single battle scar to show for it.

My general overview of the case is that its an absolute dream to work on. If you have ever worked on a case that you had to force something into place, or a screw hole didn't quite line up right etc well my Lian-Li case is nothing like this. Every piece glides into place like its a knife slicing through warm butter. The motherboard tray is a godsend. The front bezel is the easiest to remove I have ever delt with. The drive bay covers are also very easy to remove and install. Another nice thing regarding the drive bay covers (and really all pieces of this case) is that they are easy to find more of online. So mod away to your hearts content! Also I have found several online vendors that sell premodded lian-li drive bay covers premoded with switches for lights or whatever else you would like to control with em.

There are so many little touches I like that it would be hard to list them all. If you have any specific questions feel free to ask ;)

I always like to put in a good word for the CoolerMaster cases. At least the full alu ones. I have one and I am very pleased with it- and I had high demands, so to say.

Sturdy, yes ( I even sawed parts away, and it's still good). Brushed alu front, no plastic buttons or bezels. No plastic covers on sharp edges, but simply soft and folded edges. I could go on, but the bottom line is that they're good.

Yup, I completely concur with what Deathknight has to say, I also have the PC65 (can't remember if its a b or not but w/window). Just the lack of frustration in changing out components alone makes it worth the price, plus its nice to look at. The only mod i've done was to cut a 2in hole forward of the PSU so I could run (most) all the wires down the backside/ behind the mobo tray where they can't be seen. I'll be picking up another soon.
elec.tron

I have a PC-60 (same as the PC-65 but with no window), and my opinion is the same as Deathknight's. The quality of the case is fantastic, and all the small touches, such as the lack of sharp edges make it worthwhile (no more scars on my hands from my case ;) ). The brushed aluminum is also very strong, and I've had a couple incidents where I thought I badly scratched it, but there wasn't a single mark. The ease in adding and removing components is also very nice.

The only thing that bugs me slightly is that the front bezel is a bit too easy to remove, but that's very minor.

elec.tron said:
The only mod i've done was to cut a 2in hole forward of the PSU so I could run (most) all the wires down the backside/ behind the mobo tray where they can't be seen.

Funny I am going to be doing that same mod shortly. My Lian-Li is not being used right now since I have a few mods to do before I can put my machine back in. Adding this hole should make a huge difference in the tidyness of the case.

Adding this hole should make a huge difference in the tidyness of the case.

It worked great for me, hardly any PSU wires can be seen in my case, even the ones to the HDD's, floppy, and optical drive(s), when they come from the backside can easily be tucked away and forgotten. Another side benefit is all the unused connectors (with the ends black taped hehheh) live in the hole behind the HDD cage, instead crammed into the 5.25 bay or elswhere. Sticky back wire mounts and tiny ty-raps keep everything right where it belongs. For inside the case where it might be seen Radio Shack sells these little .25 inch sticky back wire mounts that are perfect for running conductors along the edges. I should post a pic.
Good Luck
elec.tron
Sorry FrostByte, this isn't meant to be a threadjack:rolleyes:

no worries...I don't mind. I love to hear what you guys have done to this case.

It sounds awsome...I'll have to look into it more.

Keep the suggestions and opinions commin

Yea, keep them coming....I am trying to decide what case to buy myself and was looking at Lian-Li, but they are so damn exspensive!!! But then there is the ol' saying "you pay for what you get."

[threadjack] Are they really roomy??? I was thinking about a chieftec matrix just for all the room. [/threadjack]

I love the cheiftec cases. The roominess is deffently there no doubt. I just want somthing different, I've build so many computers in those

Another vote for Lian Li PC65B.

Its very sturdy considering its light weight.
And it looks great. I walk by it and look at the clean and tidy inside of my case through the window accented by the blue CC light and realize non of my other cases have even come close.

The PC65B is very well constructed but it's noisy and doesn't cool nearly as well as a Chieftech design. I just got an Antec SLK3700AMB which has dual 120mm fans. Once I get a motherboard back from RMA, I should know how much better it will be for noise. Got high hopes there... Those 80mm fans are pretty loud for the amount of air they actually push.

Hey, I got a Lian-li PC65B too. ANd it's the coolest laid back case. heheeh. If you're interested I say go to Ebay and get them. I know this seller in NJ who sells them for $135 shipped for the black ones.

Just built my second system inside of this case:
http://www.directron.com/201tblue.html
I can't say enough good things about it. Plenty of room inside, very easy to work in (removable mobo tray), 3 clear windows, 3 different color combinations to choose from (I think Kingwin makes this in brushed aluminum also) and the price is awesome for an all aluminum case. Just pick your PSU and enjoy.

Ok, i'm goign witht he Lian-Li. I want the 65, but whats the difference between the 65 and the 65B? I've noticed some have a raised thing around the buttons(in some pics it looks like plastic, others looks like raised metal) Some also have an concave power butoon, others are convex.

Frost Byte said:
Ok, i'm goign witht he Lian-Li. I want the 65, but whats the difference between the 65 and the 65B?

The 65B is the black version, the 65 is the silver color. Good luck with the new case, you will love it regardless of which color you choose :attn:

Mustanley said:
Just built my second system inside of this case:
http://www.directron.com/201tblue.html
I can't say enough good things about it. Plenty of room inside, very easy to work in (removable mobo tray), 3 clear windows, 3 different color combinations to choose from (I think Kingwin makes this in brushed aluminum also) and the price is awesome for an all aluminum case. Just pick your PSU and enjoy.

yea i have that case in the kingwin brushed aluminum/magnesium alloy. its sweet

Back