• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Noob SETI question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Nimblor

My home comp is not the most stable piece of tin. I like the screensaver but was wondering if there is a way to download like a dozen WUs so I don't have idle time wasting.

I don't remember or care how long it takes my comp to process a WU but I would like to have it keep working when it is done with one, rather than sit there and do nothing. I have tried to set it up to dial up and get a new one if I am not there but this locks up my old beast.

Is there a program or way to get more than 1 WU at a time to work on like for over a weekend or something?

I don't know if its worth your effort but the only way that I know you can get more units for the GUI is to set up SETIQueue. If you have more than one computer it is deffinatly worth it.

http://www.setiqueue.org/default.asp

If you need help setting it up, just ask, there are a bunch of us using it including myself.

Thanks for the help.

I looked at the instructions there and found that there is a way to configure it to work on a single machine. I have a computer at work that I let run but it is networked and is much more stable.

I will be trying to set up the SETIqueue this weekend at home. Maybe I can build a small lan with my laptop too.

Dk Jedi Allianc said:
If you only run 1 pc - it should be enough with the seti-driver/seti-spy combo.

I don't think that you can use SETI driver with the GUI, only the CMD as far as I can remember.

Yeah.. I saw that too.. If I can get my crossover cable network to work at home and setiqueue, I think that would be best. My comp may be a broke down POS but it is better than the lap top. But it wouldn't hurt to have both running.

I am excited about trying to get them to connect again.

There are only three programs I know of that allow caching for the GUI (..and the CLC :D). SETIQueue, SETIGate, and SETI Monitor. Most of the people here use SETIQueue though, so if you run into problems with it, it should be a lot easier to get help fixing :)

Good luck!!
JigPu

I didn't even know you could cache for the screen save at all - heh shows how long it's been since I used it.

Well it is up and running. It is nice now that my computer does not lock up when it is done with a work unit. The starchart is pretty neeto too.

Good bye idle/crash time.

I didn't get a chance to hook up the laptop yet. Hopefully soon.

TC said:
I didn't even know you could cache for the screen save at all - heh shows how long it's been since I used it.

Well you really can't. When a proxy SETI server is added hopefully the GUI connects to it and up/downloads a new unit. The screen saver is not doing the caching, but a 3rd party piece of software.

I am using the screensaver. I know that the comand line is more efficient but I havent figured out how to make it work on my idle time only.

The screensaver is pretty and kind of like set it and forget it.

I have a quick question

I have my windows set to clear my cache sp lol? And pagefile when i shut down. Will this affect my seti work when i boot back up?

Harry

Re: I have a quick question

harryinny3 said:
I have my windows set to clear my cache sp lol? And pagefile when i shut down. Will this affect my seti work when i boot back up?

Harry

Nope, Results and progress are saved in a .txt file in the SETI dirrectory.

yeah the seti can run in the backgroud using small amounts of cpu instead of the screen saver, i use it like that.

I dont mind trying to blow my computer up when I am not using it. It is just that it is not so terribly stable anyway under normal conditions, so I steer clear of runing SETI in the background.

Back