• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Athlon FX 64 Bit Bench Results

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

TC

Senior Seti Addict
Rather than make the other thread longer I decided to post the 64 bit results in a new thread. Something is definitely wrong - after letting the client run for 2 hours it was only 62% done, whereas in 32 bit mode the work was done in 1:37. Either this whole 64 bit thing is a joke, or something isn't optimized correctly. I'm sure it must be the latter.

Well I must say that I expected more with the 64 bit client. Seem like they dont have the time to optimize it properly.

So are you going back to crunch at 32 bit?

Sorry For Butting In

ManOfKnight said:
is this running in win xp 64 edition? weird running at 64bit is where it should run supreme

Actually today TC was running Mandrake's 64Bit Linux with the 64Bit Linux Client from SETI's page.

SkyHook

This is running mandrake 9.2 for AMD64 and the x86-64 linux client. XP 64 is not available yet unless you can find a beta copy, and of course there's no 64 bit windows seti client. Looks like a sloppy compile or something of that nature. At the rate it was going it would take almost 4 hours to do the benchmark unit that completes in 1:37 under windows 32.

My guess would be a sloppy compile. How many people are really running a 64 bit OS???

Not many - all of them are still beta whether it's windows or linux.

I was seriously thinking of going with the amd64 myself. I think I will wait now. Kudos to you for being our pioneer:cool:

stay with it tc,,, if anybody can get big numbers out of it ,,,, it will be you. the 64 will settle down.. I hope to have one. I always said when amd gets this one settled out and right I would get one... that day is coming I hope..

psy

I'm not giving up on it, but it's clearly not anywhere near maturity yet. I think AMD made a poor choice in launching with the OS and software support at the level it currently is. I'm going to dual boot with win2k and mandrake so I can play around as things progress, but for obvious reasons I'll be crunching primarily under win2k for now. It will be interesting to see if they release an x86-64 boinc client. As of yet there is none that I'm aware of.

True they released before software and os support, but that will accelerate the others. It is hard to expect support for it to come out before IT does...hence the backward compatibility w/32 bit apps which it seems to perform well at.

my .02

I bet the 64-bit x86 client is not even close to being optimized for AMD-64. The AMD-64 instruction set is new and they probably didn't even use it in the SETI client.

Back