• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Defrag problem

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Chief

Using winme defragger on 98se box and it restarts alot because contents has changed.Does this even in safemode.The box is on a lan with one other thru a switch out to cable.Seems to finish with no problem if I go into safemode and unplug my network card first.Since so little is running in safemode and it works with net card unplugged I was wondering if DHCP could be causing this.Its not because I am using the winme defrag because it did this with the 98 one also.I have read up on this problem which usually comes down to something running in the background which is changing data.What do you think?

If you happen to be running the "Intel Application Launch Accelerator", try turning it off before defragging. :)

I have aa installed but no launcher anywhere.Highly doubt it has anything to do with that.I am wondering if dhcp is refreshing every so often (if it even does that)because its on a lan.I am just guessing here.

this certainly is a weird problem. After defragging hard drive, your computer repeatedly restart ????

try to use different defragment utility software to see if you still have the same problem

Sorry I was not clear on this.Its the defragger that keeps restarting because content (data) has changed.This is normally do to something running in the back ground but since it does this even in safemode I am at a loss.If I unplug the network card while in safemode it completes the defrag.So the only thing I can think of that might be doing this is DHCP since even in safemode you obtain an internet ip.However I am not sure if DHCP refreshes itself every so often after it has already obtained an ip.

try to use different defragment utility software such as diskeeper. This suckers is fast and does very good job. You will be happy with it

i never use any utility software come with windows. I always buy it separately from a third party line

that is your simple solution

the reason why you have this problem is while window defragment tool try to defrag and your computer is in use, that is why it keeps restarting

when you use diskeeper, everything is fine and you will see a boot in your computer performance.

i don't work for diskeeper company but i have used diskeeper for many years. They improve every year.

you will like it. Download the trial version from their web site to see how you like it before you buy it.

diskeeper is one of tools you MUST have in your computer

Back