• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

im n00b.help please.alot of questions, you dont haveto answer allbuthelp is apreciate

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

modenaf1

im n00b.help please.alot of questions, you dont haveto answer allbuthelp is apreciate

I am going to be making my own case out of either polycarbonate/lexan or acrylic/plexiglass. Its not going to be that big. Here is a pic of my layout, oh and the mobo will be flat not verticle.
clearcaseidea1.JPG

dont mind the arrows and stuff like that, just showing that so you get an idea of the relative size of it.

Anyways, i was wondering:

1.) How think will i need the plastic to be if i am going to use lexan? What about plexiglass?

2.) Its ok to have to mobo laying flat right?

3.) There is no question number 3

4.)What should i use to cut it? Is a jigsaw ok? Or will i have to go buy a dremel? Any specific technique for cutting?

5.) How should i fasten the peices together? are there L brackets that I need to use? Or should i just have one peice overlap the other, drill a hole, and put a screw in?

6.) Is there a special way to put screws in or do i do it just like wood?

7.) how will I get those plastic mobo standoffs installed? or can i jsut throw the mobo in and let it sit?

8.) i was thinking of making some parts hinged and also putting some L brackets like this:

Code:
          |
          |__
          ----------------          
           __
          |
          |

and having a mobo tray inbetween them so i can slide the mobo out easy. What do you think.

9.) If i dont know all this am i better off not attempting this whole thing?

Thanks for listening, and i apreciate any feedback you can give.

Thanks again.
-f1

Last edited:
hey, ive worked with acrylic alot (im even selling some here) and i can assure you, you will need more to pracice on than the case requires..

1) 1/4", unless you re-enforce it...

2)yes

3) wrong there is, and yes...

4)it depends on how thick it is... tou would be best off with a band-saw, but you can even score it, and break it like glass, it all depends,,,

5)by wedging a screw into holes, you can easily crack it, you can use special bonding agent/gule, (or not so special super glue, or hot glue :) another way is to "nut and bolt" the whole thing...

6)see #5

7)be careful with things like this, you might want to get a separate mobo tray, and just fasten it to the case (i think Lan-Li makes one)

8)its hard to bend it, you need lots of heat, but ive seen a tutorial or two on this, doesnt look to hard...

9)fear not, for you will be FAR better off after you have completed a mod like this

PM me if you have any questions!

jacheatamobits said:
hey, ive worked with acrylic alot (im even selling some here) and i can assure you, you will need more to pracice on than the case requires..

1) 1/4", unless you re-enforce it...

2)yes

3) wrong there is, and yes...

4)it depends on how thick it is... tou would be best off with a band-saw, but you can even score it, and break it like glass, it all depends,,,

5)by wedging a screw into holes, you can easily crack it, you can use special bonding agent/gule, (or not so special super glue, or hot glue :) another way is to "nut and bolt" the whole thing...

6)see #5

7)be careful with things like this, you might want to get a separate mobo tray, and just fasten it to the case (i think Lan-Li makes one)

8)its hard to bend it, you need lots of heat, but ive seen a tutorial or two on this, doesnt look to hard...

9)fear not, for you will be FAR better off after you have completed a mod like this

PM me if you have any questions!

Thank you so much!

for number 8 i think i said it wrong. sorry. anyways, i meant i was gonna put hinges in instead of just fastening it. and then buy some L brackets and make a slideout mobo tray. and my other question about that, wan on the mobo tray, and i just let the mobo sit on the tray without using standoffs? The tray will be the same material as everything else. either lexan or plexi.

oh and for the first question, what did you mean by reinforce?

and how would i go about cutting the hole for the CD drive and stuff?

should i take my psu apart? or is there too great a risk of me electricuting myself?

Last edited:
you need to fasten the mobo to SOMETHING, seeing as how itd be a nightmare plugging/unplugging anything in...

re-enforce, like make stronger, as in add support, like an "I" beam..

start with drilling a hole, then jig-saw it, i dunno, when it comes to mounting drives, im clueless...

umm... i took my psu apart, and i was scared s***less, after hearing about others here almost getting killed messing with monitors and such, i dont reccomend it... but if you DO do it, be very very careful

Hey F1!

Attempting an ubermod, eh? :p

Well, taking apart a PSU is relatively harmless compared to taking apart a monitor. The caps of a PSU will drain in around 10 minutes or less, wheras the caps of a monitor will remain fully charged for up to a week. This is asuming you have unplugged it. You DID unplug it first, right? :D Anyways, to drain your PSU manually is fairly easy. Just leave it unplugged and press the power button on your computer for a few seconds. Your hard drives and fans will quicky come on and go back off. After this you can assume your hard drive has been safely drained. If you don't have it hooked up to a PC just leave it unplugged for about an hour to be safe and it will be fully drained.

~n17ikh~

ok thanks guys. yeah, and when i do it im gonna wear thick rubber boots and like 3 layers of rubber gloves on my hands just incase, you knwo like those yellow ones that go up your arm.

Do you have an example of an "i" beam? i have no idea that that is :eek:

Thanks again!
-f1

Re: im n00b.help please.alot of questions, you dont haveto answer allbuthelp is apreciate

modenaf1 said:
1.) How think will i need the plastic to be if i am going to use lexan? What about plexiglass?

2.) Its ok to have to mobo laying flat right?

4.)What should i use to cut it? Is a jigsaw ok? Or will i have to go buy a dremel? Any specific technique for cutting?

5.) How should i fasten the peices together? are there L brackets that I need to use? Or should i just have one peice overlap the other, drill a hole, and put a screw in?

6.) Is there a special way to put screws in or do i do it just like wood?

7.) how will I get those plastic mobo standoffs installed? or can i jsut throw the mobo in and let it sit?

9.) If i dont know all this am i better off not attempting this whole thing?
1. Polycarbonate/Lexan will be much easier to tool and far more durable. As long as you leave the protective film on throughout the machining process and don't run keys along it scratches won't be a problem.

2. yes

4. Table Saw. Nothing else can easily perform the straight 90 degree (and precise) cuts you'd need for such a project.

5. The simplest method (and the sturdiest) is to fabricate two of the 6 sides out of 3/8" or 1/2" sheets. This allows you to tap screw holes or insert brass couplers (or stand-offs) into the edge of those sheets. Allowing you to spily screw the rest of the sheets in place.

6. Wood screws are meant for wood and require too much "give" for them to be used with plastics. You'll need a much shallower screw type. Something similar to standard case screws only longer.

7. Make a template out of cardboard or chop up a discarded computer case and use it's stand-off locations as a guider. THe easiest thing to do is scalp or buy a motherboard tray.

9. Yes. This requires a moderate amount of experience in machining and working with power tools. I wouldn't recommend trying this unless you've been able to succesfully building your own furniture out of wood and understand the process of engineering something to set parameters. I've outlined all this in my custom case building sticky.
In order to proceed you'll ATLEAST need to have practice using a tablesaw, cutting things to size, rechecking measurements, plotting drill points, etc.

You're also forgetting the cost involved. Even if you already had all the required tools you'd still need to purchase $50 in raw materials and hardware.

If you have any other questions I've built 6 custom enclosures and can answer most questions you'll have.

Last edited:
ok Thanks. heh i might wait a bit on doing this. I never thought it would be 50 dollars or higher for raw materials. And also I really dont have any tools.

Thanks.

Yep, $50 would be for just the polycarbonate sheets themselves in the thicknesses you need. Not to mention and special hinges, screws, or brackets you'd want to use.

huh. Ok thanks. ill consider it. I have like not that much money. so if its 50 jsut for the polycarbonate, then i might wait a little bit on this, im such a n00b i dont want to mess up 20 dollars worth of materials.

BTW, thats an awsome sticky! If i do it that sticky will definatly increase my chances on doing this.

Back