• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Your thoughts?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Morpheus

Grandfather of Crunchers Senior
I have to admit I am becoming a little anxious with the fast-approaching demise of SETI 1… BOINC will not be the same...

After 4 and ½ years it seems like the end of something I have counted on is approaching—like losing a job, or finishing college, or having the first child move out of the house…

Is anyone else beginning to experience this “empty cruncher” syndrome? And, if so, what have you been doing about it?

My thoughts at this point include liquidating the farm and doing something non-computer related with the proceeds…

To be fair, my thoughts also include buying so more firepower and kicking SETI 2 in the @$$.... As Folding is also headed to BOINC feel more inclined to stay with S@h…. :rolleyes:

You thoughts, should you decide to provide them, would be greatly appreciated…

Crunch on!!!

Last edited:
I've been looking forward to SETI 2 and the possibility of Folding. I couldn't live with my machines not doing something, so I'm gonna migrate over. I've also tenativly got my friends who are also crunching under my name to jump on board as well.

Though just how much time I'm going to split between SETI 2 and Folding is a big question... Probably won't get answered until it actualy comes over to BOINC, and even then I'm not sure I'll be able to make a decision.

For a few days after SETI 2's launch though, I may dedicate my AMD box to churning out some prime numbers. I have a 2GB file sitting on my drive waiting for me to finish one more GB so I can burn it to CD and have a giant list of primes (I have one CD already done containing the primes up to 5 billion). Yes, I'm very weird :D

JigPu

Might do SETI 2, sucks to loose all the WUs that I have done. As I have done a lot of work to get where I am.

Reserving Judgement -BUT!

Although I will reserve final judgement on my position on SETI2/BOINC until we actually have something in hand to judge, I must admit that if what little I have experimented with AstroPulse/BOINC is any indication, I'm not a terribly happy camper. Just as an example, over the weekend I completed seven AstroPulse units and returned them to Berkeley. I have yet to see where they have even acknowledged receiving the results let alone getting any credit. Yes I know that any credit during this BETA is of NO VALUE, but as I said, if this is any indication of things to come it's poor.

True the feeling of doing the science should be sufficent reward, well for me it isn't. I want some tangible gratification. I did the work, at least let me know it was received. Maybe there is some kind of problem with my machines as far as getting the work done correctly, but how am I to know this when I don't even know if they received the results. Am I to continue merrily on my way for 7-14 days only then to discover that there is a problem? Now I have invested all that time continuing to do unacceptable work, not the way I care to do business.

If this is the way of the future, I will be trading my "crunching pharm" for a "My Little Pony Farm", and persue breeding plastic horses.

Just my opinion, we all have at least one.

SkyHook

I'm feeling mostly indifferent about it to be honest. I'm not too pleased with their new stats system, but it will take some time to see how it really works out. I sold off a lot of my farm and consolidated into a few solid systems. I'm going to sit tight and see how it goes. If I catch the same bug for phase 2 I'll build my capability back. If it doesn't grab me like phase 1 did I'll probably run it on a few systems. I don't see myself quitting though, or folding for that matter. We'll see - time will tell.

doubtful

dear friends

I fully understand your feelings

I just finished my 4 years stint

Results returned: 13362
Total CPU time: 10,03 yrs
Avg. CPU time: 6:34:32
CPU dedication: 2,501

I have had the impresion of shouting in the void on the isue of the cheaters that are polluting the stats systems, and sort of ridiculing our honest efforts.

and I am not convinced by BOINC

So I am unlikely to engage into BOINC/Astropulse in as serious a manner as I didi for Seti.

I'll be listening to the team nonetheless,and who knows what tomorrow would bring

best regards

Ps: edited to remove self-serving picture of stats

I believe Kris has verbalized something many/most of us are feeling, especially the longer timers. After so many years it will be...odd, to begin doing something else even if that does not include BOINC or any other DC efforts. It has been a really interesting ride since those first work units rolled off the production line. It may be an experience that can never be truely duplicated.

I will certainly try BOINC once it gets going for real but in the end its hard to say if I will put forth the same or similar effort as I did for S@H.

Its been a great ride though and I am happy to have experienced it. :)

Cy

Like some have already said, I'll make the decision when I see the finished BOINC system and have had a chance to test it a bit. Out of my current farm I need at least three of the machines so I imagine they'll continue to donate their cycles to some distributed project or another. Though the competitive aspect of S@H has indeed been enjoyable I'm comfortable crunching for another worthy cause that is less so.

Alright...THANKS FOR MAKING ME DEPRESSED EVERYONE! :cry:

I still don't know what I'm going to do with SETI II. I might try running it on one computer for awhile, but I'm not keeping the farm up. At least not right now. I don't mind the instant gratification so much (would be nice though).

The thing that really gets my goat is the whole not receiving as much credit as you should for a WU. Right now, more $ = faster crunchers = more WU's than the next guy. Under SETI II, more $ = faster crunchers = the same amount of credit given to two people with PII's! The advantage to be gained from having faster computers, or a lot of computers, is that you can finish a WU faster and start the next. I still think you should be rewarded with more credit since you spent the extra dough to crunch fast, but that's life.

When you think about it, SETI II really isn't all that different from the system now. The way it is now, the faster you crunch units, and the higher density with which you do it (# comps) The greater your reward. As far as stats collection, I think they should keep tracking credit AND WU's. Even though WU's will be different sizes, given a long enough time frame, the law of averages dictates that everyone should have an equal baseline.

my thougts to this

it is a great Chance for eveyone, this is a new DC-Computing Area

NO Cheating,

that is very Good

and the people in Berkeley a working hard to get this working without any Problems, and you and other can be the first to to this Nea Area., and remember the money problems at Bekeley, they do a great Job with his few people and there little resources.

I have been since this day 4 Years at Seti@home

Name (and URL) Sir Ulli
Results Received 20000
Total CPU Time 10.258 years
Average CPU Time per work unit 4 hr 29 min 34.8 sec
Average results received per day 13.69
Last result returned: Fri Oct 3 17:23:23 2003 UTC
Registered on: Thu Oct 21 12:41:04 1999 UTC
View Registration Class
SETI@home user for: 4.003 years
Your group info:
You belong to the group named: Phoenix Rising
You are not currently the founder of any teams.

Your rank: (based on current workunits received)
Your rank out of 4720929 total users is: 4725th place.
The number of users who have this rank: 10
You have completed more work units than 99.900% of our users.

since a long time, i look at the Cheaters so as papounet, he is knowing me, but this is a good time to look at the basics, to find ET.

just my personell meaning.

Greetings from Germany NRW
Ulli( who is just taking a beer about his 4 years at Seti)

Although I've enjoyed phase one, I must admit that as other things have come into and out of my real life, the time I've been able to dedicate to babysitting overclocked systems running on the edge and my interest as well have fluctuated.

As phase one comes to an end, I find myself seriously considering giving folding or some other medical research program a shot, I've lost several family members to both cancer and altziemers. The most recent being a 46 yr old cousin to cancer a year ago. We were very close, in fact we'd grown up as close as many brothers. I'd like to contribute something in that direction.

I still remember the support that the members of Team 32 gave us in the past and I did make a comittment to them to help them out in the future. I remember this and will hold my end of that bargain.

I will surely give phase 2 a shot and who knows, it may get ahold of me again. Either way I will not completely abandon neither SETI nor this team.

And to echo Cy's thoughts "It has been a great ride"

Good Luck!
FRANK

Yeah... I tend to agree with everything above. I just got myself a shiny new Dell Inspiron laptop and I'll load BOINC on it to see if I like it... if I do then I'll switch my other machines over as well. Otherwise... I think it'll be the end for me. I just don't get the same benefits from it I used to see.

I, too, am feeling the same as many other members especially those longer time crunchers. (registered on 01/25/2000, a couple more months before the 4th b-day) and truely understand/agree 'bout how Morpheus had described 'bout the feeling as SETI1 is heading to an end. suddenly, I had lose the feeling and needed of having as fast of a machine as possible and with as many as I could... I too kinda feel a little lose too and don't know what/how I'm gonna do w/ all these computers.... disband it, might/might not as I'm really get used to all those noise and heat, w/out them the house feels kinda "empty"! or I might try out other DC project too (like folding or any other suggestion?) but sure they most likely not gonna give me the same feeling as SETI did. but I sure will try out BONIC/SETI2 and see how it goes before I call it's done for me. I do understand what/how/why they are doing for better analyze all kinda data which is a very good and needed approach. and difference system for anti-cheating is also a plus! however, the new credit system isn't what most SETI users will agree tho! and truely hope the final decision from Berkeley will/could figure out a better scoring system than what they have in mind right now!!

lastly, again "It has been a GREAT RIDE with you all!!!" :)

I am quite looking forward to the start of the next phase really, at least I will start on an even footing with everyone else, which didnt happen on SETI Phase I, as I came to SETI@home pretty late really (since Wednesday, 15th, May). I am not into the whole SETI thing like some people with PC farms, I just have my Athlon XP2000, and my Celeron 1.3 laptop running 24/7.

So many heavy sounding hearts. I better find something to do with these machines. I know one will go to the folding team. One or two will go to Bonic/seti 2. But I also to date dont trust or like there credit system. Berkley better show some goods or alot of folks that have crunched for years may drift away. The science is great,,, but if we cant see results in a timley manner,,, why waiste your cycles on them. They get the cream and we get the stressed out puters, wifes and kids and power meters with burned up bearings in the pin wheels....lolololol Time will tell what the future will be like....

psy

It's going to be a strange feeling to suddenly lose that blue icon of SetiDriver from my system tray.

I've generally learned to count on it, to see if my pc is actually doing something right. I hope there will be something like that helping me out in the next phase.

I just wonder how we're going to do stats work on the new plateau (sp?)

After being in a Internet-detox treatment :D I'm starting to feel a little bit depressed also (maybe it's the long hours away from home, family and girl) but I'll try to keep to the show when the fat lady sings. It's been a hell of a ride. If some one told me that I'll be close to complete the 10,000 WU when I first started almost 2 and half years ago, I would have laught. I've lots to thank to the project (most of my knoledge of computers, overlcocking and hardware in general and many of my great friends in this forum, specially for the last part ;)) so I'll keep an open mind and I'll see what comes around later :beer:

I will seize this moment to thank for all the good friends I have made here: Kris, Tim, Ron, Gary, Jeremy, Jorgen, Cy,outhouse (wherever he is, I'll keep him in my heat), Rott-R-Us (lionfish), and all the others that have made this place a great place to lurk and play and learn. I thank all of you for being such a good bunch of lads and offer me your friendship :beer:

boinc (what a name!)

Barriers that may keep me from participating in boinc:

1. The lack of immediate statistics
2. Failing to reward those of us who invest in new hardware
3. Inadequate point system

I'm not in need of recognition or praise, but I do need the system to acknowlede my competitive nature and reward me with worthless points for spending the time and $$$ which I donate to the cause. I need to be able to set and achieve goals, and I need to be able to measure my efforts by comparing my efforts to the efforts of my peers.

It looks like I would get more points for having a rack of 486's than I would get from a few high end P4's. This is very very wrong and will probably cause me to quit crunching.

Back