• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

LED thingy to light up the front grille thingy of my case.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

modenaf1

My mom got these little flashlight things, about the size of my thumb from the knuckle on up. It has an LED in it that is very very very very bright. With this little thing i can light up the street from shining it out my window from the 2nd floor. It shouldnt use up too much power becuase its only powered by 2 little batteries that are about half a cm. I was wondering, how do i hook this thing up to my comp without frying something? And where? I was also thinking if getting wireing so it will be able to reach the front of my case. Anyone know how to do this?

and anyways, my case is one of those cheapo ones wiht the little curved gray grate in the front with little holes. Its like the generic of generics. Anyways, usually i dont think this would look cool, but having this really bright white light shining out of thise small holes I think might be kinda neat.

TIA!
-f1

If your intersted in learning about voltages and want a craft project it sound great. But if your looking for simple grab a Lazer LED, they use the same LED's as you are talking about and very easy to instal and use. SVC.com has them ranging from $1.50 to about $8.

Thanks, but i was interested in learning about voltages and how to do this. Afterall, i can get these great things for like super super super dirt cheap in Thailand :D

Thanks! what happens if it isnt a 5v LED? will it ust not run correctly or will it fry my mobo? or is the worst that could happen that it will fry the LED?

ok thanks!. i figured out the led has only 1 metal wire/pin thingy coming out of it. and my usb mobo thing has:

Pin1: VCC0
Pin2: VCC1
Pin3: Data 0-
Pin4: Data 1-
Pin5: Data 0+
Pin6: Data 1+
Pin7: GND
Pin8: GND
Pin9: No Pin
Pin10: GND

I assume I use VCC 0?

TIA
-f1
:cool:

EDIT: ok this LED thigny actually has 2 metal things, one to the button, and one to the battery.

Last edited:
Check the voltages on the batters and, if they are in series, add them and thats most likely the LED voltage, unless there is some kind of special circuitry. If you have 2 1.5V batts its 3V. If you hooked it to your 5V line it might burn out.

-Rav

sorry tho threadjack, but what bout lasers, instead ofLEDs

Rav said:
Check the voltages on the batters and, if they are in series, add them and thats most likely the LED voltage, unless there is some kind of special circuitry. If you have 2 1.5V batts its 3V. If you hooked it to your 5V line it might burn out.

-Rav
i was thinking of using LASERS instead of LED s... any one heard of this?... isnt there an easier way to incorperate laseres?

sorry to thread jack :(

ok guys, i found some good reasons why i should put an X on the whole thing. THanks for trying to help. Its too bad it didnt work out, but thanks again!

-f1

Back