• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

I have the 3.25 windows graphical client. slow as mollases!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

modenaf1

do i add tags to this one? it is SSLLLOOOOOOOWWWWW. like gromacs or SSE? becuase that would be great. do i just do it the same way i do wiht the console version?

TIA.

well i tried to do that anyways, and there is no exe ANYWHERE. if i close it or restart my comp i have to delete all the crap it throws on my desktop and start over again. And the graphics arent that graphicle either. I think im jsut going to switch to the normal console version.

Here's what I have to do....(I prefer the graphical version, but that's just me....)

Install the normal F@H graphical version 3.24.
Download the beta version, and run it once to make sure it works. Close it.
Take F@H 3.24 out of your Startup folder in your Start menu, and put F@H 3.25 in it's place. Right click on that and put the flags. :)
Good luck!

CharlesHF, you do understand that the graphical client is slower then the consol, and that it does not share resorces as well with other programs as the consol? but hey if you like the pictures go for it :D

dagamore said:
CharlesHF, you do understand that the graphical client is slower then the consol, and that it does not share resorces as well with other programs as the consol? but hey if you like the pictures go for it :D

What I understand is that both the console and graphical client use the exact same core and processing. We have tested this, they're almost 100% the same in terms of speed. I just prefer to have it in my taskbar.

CharlesHF, it might be diferent now, and you might be correct, when i tested them about a year ago, the graphical client was a about 10 percent slower, then the consol, even if i did not run anything else (got to love a spare computer) took total of points, and time per wu for 1 week evern morning @ 10 am (when i got home from work.)

also i noticed the the graphical client all but stopped folding (6 to 8 hours per frame) when either i started playing a game and or used my PVR card, where as the Console version just slowed down alot (some times 2 or 3 hours per frame from 8-15 mintues per frame)

so i switched to the console on all my machines, and have not looked back. but i may very well be wrong, i will have to test this on my test machine later this week. (ok next week since this week is over)

I like the graphical client also because I can pause it while I do things such as encoding video. I noticed if I left it running while I encoded, it would mess up the picture and sound of whatever file I was making. Now I just pause it til I'm done and off and away I go folding again. :) I'm not bright enough to run the console version anyhow. hehe :D

I run the console as a service as I've found there's less lost WUs due to an OS fumble. It seems to me the services are better protected during shutdowns, even unschedualed ones.

Shutting it down is easy if you use a batch file shortcut to stop and start it.

EMIII is hard to beat as a graphical progress indicator for several machines on a LAN or just one client on a single PC.

If you do a search, maybe there's something like a service install for win9x too. I thought I read that here recently.

I know how to service install the graphical to run on Win98 but it folds right in the C drive. I am using it on my dad's 2100+ that I built him but I am using just the graphical myself cause I guess I like looking at the cool pictures it makes. ;)

Back