Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

BB ATI 9600pro $129

YMMV , several people have been picking up the Radeon 9600se from B&M Best Buys and they have 9600pro's in the box. Also comes with a free half-life 2 when it comes out. I picked one up today and it is a 9600pro in my box. BTW, the Best Buy here didn't even have a spot on the shelf for the 9600se , they had just got them in and they were in a pile on top so you may have to look for them.
    "I am for doing good to the poor, but...I think the best way of doing good to the poor, is not making them easy in poverty, but leading or driving them out of it. I observed...that the more public provisions were made for the poor, the less they provided for themselves, and of course became poorer. And, on the contrary, the less was done for them, the more they did for themselves, and became richer."
    -- Benjamin Franklin

My Heatware

Also comes with a free half-life 2 when it comes out
    I thought that was for the 9800XT only, that must be new info then?? Are yu sure?

That is what it says on the box.
    "I am for doing good to the poor, but...I think the best way of doing good to the poor, is not making them easy in poverty, but leading or driving them out of it. I observed...that the more public provisions were made for the poor, the less they provided for themselves, and of course became poorer. And, on the contrary, the less was done for them, the more they did for themselves, and became richer."
    -- Benjamin Franklin

My Heatware

The game has been delayed, so I read, so is that like a coupon!! cool

yep, they send it to you.
    -- Benjamin Franklin

My Heatware

one problem here...

i just went to best buy, got the 9600SE, opened it up and it was NOT the pro version...

it had 5ns hynix RAM...

NO fan on the cheap, small heat sink...

it does have a coupon to a free half life 2...

but not a PRO, not worth $129...

maybe your box was an aberration or maybe mine was...
    • e6600 L631B047 2.4ghz @ 3.6 Ghz 24/7 (9x400 @ 1.38v, w/ 9700 Zalman, 64C TAT max) on Asus P5W-DH,
      2x 1gb OCZ Platinum Rev 2 @ 800mhz w/ 4,4,4,12,4 timings w/ 2.35v, 2x 74gb Raptors, 3x 320gb WD3200KS, 2x NEC 3500A DVDRW, Floppy, Zip
      2x GECUBE x1600pros , WinFast2000XP PVR, WinTV PVR150, Soundblaster Audigy SE, 2x Dell 1905fp, BenQ FP202W, S-Video TV
      2x Scythe SFF21F 120mm, Sunon 120mm PMB1212PLB2-A Blower on Sunbeam Rheostat, powered by Fortron FX700-GLN in Lian Li v2100b plus
      [for video encoding, ~= to 6.6ghz P-D and 5.3ghz dual core Opteron ]

-- Benjamin Franklin

My Heatware

Hehe hkgonra beat me to it

Its great that we are on both sites though hehe. I am still waiting for a good HDD deal on slickdeals so I can start building.

well i got the 9600SE from best buy for $129 and the box says 9600SE and the card inside is definitely NOT a 9600PRO....it only has 5ns hynix RAM chips (200mhz speed just like the 9600SE is supposed to have) and a very cheap, non-fan heat sink for the GPU...

so maybe some of the 9600SE's have PRO's in them, but not all, since i didn't get one...

i checked before i bought and as long as i didn't scratch off the coupon code for the HL2 game...then i can return it without a restocking fee for 30 days...
    • e6600 L631B047 2.4ghz @ 3.6 Ghz 24/7 (9x400 @ 1.38v, w/ 9700 Zalman, 64C TAT max) on Asus P5W-DH,
      2x 1gb OCZ Platinum Rev 2 @ 800mhz w/ 4,4,4,12,4 timings w/ 2.35v, 2x 74gb Raptors, 3x 320gb WD3200KS, 2x NEC 3500A DVDRW, Floppy, Zip
      2x GECUBE x1600pros , WinFast2000XP PVR, WinTV PVR150, Soundblaster Audigy SE, 2x Dell 1905fp, BenQ FP202W, S-Video TV
      2x Scythe SFF21F 120mm, Sunon 120mm PMB1212PLB2-A Blower on Sunbeam Rheostat, powered by Fortron FX700-GLN in Lian Li v2100b plus
      [for video encoding, ~= to 6.6ghz P-D and 5.3ghz dual core Opteron ]

going to try this myself today... wish me luck guys, i need it for a change.
    circleofsharks.bandcamp.com

Originally posted by dustybyrd
    one problem here...

i just went to best buy, got the 9600SE, opened it up and it was NOT the pro version...

it had 5ns hynix RAM...

NO fan on the cheap, small heat sink...

it does have a coupon to a free half life 2...

but not a PRO, not worth $129...

maybe your box was an aberration or maybe mine was...
    Sorry about that.

That is the reason I started this thread with YMMV
    your mileage may vary.
    -- Benjamin Franklin

My Heatware

well, if they're going to charge me 15% restocking fee to return it i wont bother, just going to have to ask before hand; save me and them problems. you don't have to take the card out of the static bag to check the numbers do you? also, the copy of hl2 you are entitled to is it an actual hard copy of the game or the "downloadable" version? i know from what i have seen here it looks like you will be able to get the game via three different methods, some with multiplayer and some without it.

Im gonna try it also...so good luck Banyan

good luck to you too

I GOT A 9600 PRO! The sticker says pro anyway, I guess I need to plug it in and check it to be sure....total cost after tex $139.74 (IL).

My best buy had the boxes in the 9600pro spot on the shelf and were marked 179$ so I had to get a price check before I went to the register.

glad to hear it ... you have any idea what form HL2 will come in? i'll be going later this afternoon.

It has a scratch off card for the product key and says it will be shipped to me within 4-6 weeks of the game release...more infor is available at

http://www.ati.com/online/hl2/

I think its probably downloadable there or something but I havent looked....still trying to install my card

Checked it with Radclock at 398.25/297.00. According to that bord linked above, this really is the 9600 Pro. I think mine has Samsung RAM in it...but I really dont know what Im looking at to tell....the 4 larger square chips all say Samsung.

no go here either... definite ymmv, but at least i will get full refund. i should just get a damn monitor instead when i return it... anyone seen any good b&m deals?

Originally posted by BigSmokey
    Checked it with Radclock at 398.25/297.00. According to that bord linked above, this really is the 9600 Pro. I think mine has Samsung RAM in it...but I really dont know what Im looking at to tell....the 4 larger square chips all say Samsung.

if the ram say saumsung they are most likely samsung
    My main rig- Q6600, Abit P35 Pro, Nvidia 8800GT, 8 GB GSkill PC800, , 2xSeagate 250 gb , 600 watt Fortron Blue Storm II power Supply, Audigy 2, Logitech Z680 Speakers Dell 2005FP Monitor

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast