• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FPO# Code Plant "M" ?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Rio71

hi,
i searched on german ebay for an 2.4C.
i asked the FPO# and become the plant "M"

M323A309
i view in condensed sticky but... :confused:

where are these new plant codes coming from? lol

first 5 now M...

i have no idea.

It could be China. Last computer show I went to, they were flooded with made in China cpus, that was the first time I saw that country on a P4 box.

The pack date was really recent, ~ 2 weeks old. I should have bought that cpu instead of my made in Malay 2.6c...stupid Malay hangup.

I remain convinced that the packaging location makes no difference in overclockability.

So instead of speaking about "production plants", I would propose "packaging shacks" to underline the insignificance of it. :D

FIZZ3 said:
I remain convinced that the packaging location makes no difference in overclockability.

So instead of speaking about "production plants", I would propose "packaging shacks" to underline the insignificance of it. :D

So, the country of origin is where they package it. Does this mean packaging as in putting the CPU in a box with the cooler and Intel sticker or does it mean physical packaging of the silicon die onto the organic substrate.

If it refers to the former, then that should make a difference in the quality of the final product.

NeoGeo said:
Does this mean packaging as in putting the CPU in a box with the cooler and Intel sticker or does it mean physical packaging of the silicon die onto the organic substrate.

It means both. Intel's operations in CR, Malay, Philippines, and China are "assembly and test" sites. They saw up the wafers, assemble the dice into the various package types, and test the assembled packages again (the dice are tested before they leave the States). They also box up retail chips, although most chips get sold to oems.

You might think that the way the die is assembled into the package would have a huge impact on performance. And it can if done poorly. However Intel has a system called Copy Exactly! (the ! is included). It means that all of Intel's factory operations are setup exactly the same. Same materials, same equipment, same software... usually down to the same color of paint on the walls inside.

Because of this system, a chip assembled in Malaysia will go through the exact same process that one in CR would. Things can occasionally go wrong of course, but if and when that happens phones start ringing very quickly...

So basically good overclockers and bad overclockers can come from every site. But if you averaged the overclockability of chips coming from each site, the results should be almost exactly the same.

Back