• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Best p4 HT for OCing ?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

oc jason

So which chip get the best overclock on average? I was going to get a 3.2c for sheer speed but I am hearing that on good air cooling and in aluminum case well ventilated that the 2.6c is doing extremely well.

I was planning on sticking to air cooling and these are my specs:

Mobo - Abit IC7
Ram - 1gig matched Kingston HyperX pc3500
Chip - 2.26b
Video - 5900FX Ultra 256

I am looking to replace my 2.26b with a good overclockable HT chip, that will render the best overall speed.

tyia (thank you in advance)

I would have to say go with the 2.4C. The only problem i can see is that you might have to run a 3:2 Mem ratio, especially with a very high OC, that is if the Ram doesnt like to overclock very high. I have a 2.6C on the IC-7 at 250FSB with 5:4 divider and running OCZ PC3500 at 400mhz with tighter timings. This gives me 3.25Ghz @1.6V.

If you are going for max overclock with that PC3500, then the 2.6C is a good CPU to try. The 2.4C is cheaper and will probably reach about the same clock speed with the advantage of higher FSB speed, but you'll have to drop down to the 3:2 ratio somewhere between 3.2 to 3.3 gig (unless your RAM overclocks like crazy).

I have to agree that a 2.6c is one of the better choices for you.
the 2.8c might not be a bad choice eather, but I like the bandwith posabilitys with the 2.6c

stay away from the high end CPU's unless your realy going extream cooling....the 3.0 and 3.2 are just not worth it right now for you.

mica

Yup, I just ordered a 2.4C and from what I understand they are able to do 3.4-.8 on good cooling if you get lucky. I'd say go for that and get some good 4200 ram while your at it. I picked up the Buffalo 4200 on newegg for 98.00 per 256 stick after reading a good review on it here. For the price per stick its not bad and everyone knows the quality of the pc3700.

thanks alot guys but this is what i dont get.

I have a 2.26b now that did 3.1ghz on my older bd7-II 176x17 was the clock speed. Now same chip on this IC7 and it wont boot even at 155fsb at max vcore and vdimm, i dont get it, better memory, better board, and a proven chip but less speed?

im trying 1:1 and even 5:4 ratio at times, weird that i cant get 1/2 of what I got before with better gear, ill mess around and see what I get, of course my IC7 is at stock BIOS

thats probably why huh

I have a 2.26b now that did 3.1ghz on my older bd7-II 176x17 was the clock speed. Now same chip on this IC7 and it wont boot even at 155fsb at max vcore and vdimm, i dont get it, better memory, better board, and a proven chip but less speed?

ive done much the same thing here and found the Hyperx was the problem(winbond ch-5 chips) Try it with a different ram and watch that 2.26 go

With the P4c the hyperx put up a no boot wall @260 FSB. That went away with buffalo ram(bh-5).

Also i'd go with the 2.4C cus lately the 2.6's havent seemed great from all the post about them lately.

Back