Benching Profile

A simple quick cheap trick

I realized that my heatsink had one side that was just a solid copper sheet (it is actually one of the fins). I went to CompUSA and bought for $9.95 one of their cheapo "chipset cooler" kits that comes with a small fan and 3 small heatsinks for your chipsets and some thermal pads and grease. I then, using alcohol, cleaned the side fin of my heat sink real good and then cleaned the bottom of the heatsink. I screwed the little weenie fan that came with the kit onto the heatsink and then using one of the supplied doublesided sticky thermal pad stuck the heatsink with the attached pad onto the side of my heatsink. Voila - additional cooling and since the little fan is blowing onto the heatsink and not cross-ways through the fins it doesn't interfere with the main heatsink's fan airflow. My average, non-load temp was reduced about 4 degrees using this method. Pretty good idea, huh?
    MSI Z87-GD65 Gaming MobO
    i5-4670K Haswell w/ Corsair H80i liquid cooling at 4.1 GHz @35C idle
    16 GB Corsair Dominator Platinum at 1866 RAM
    Samsung EVO 500 GB SSD boot drive & 3 other HHD's storage and back-up
    27" Samsung LED on Sapphire R9-290 Battlefield Edition Video
    Thermaltake Chaser A41 Case
    Temps=35*C idle/60*C load

got a pic of that?
    CPU: Intel e6600 L630A985 @ 3.7 Ghz 1.45v 412x9 | Mobo: Asus P5B Deluxe |
    Video card: nVidia 8800 GTX | Case: Lian Li P65
    Sound card: Sound blaster live X-gamer | Hard Drives: 2x Seagate 360Gb
    RAM: 2x Crucial Ballistix PC800 |
    Monitor:
    Dell UltraSharp 2407WFP | Power supply: Cosair 620W | OS: WinXP Pro SP2

10 Year Badge
    Yea.. I would like to see pic too!! =)
    Retina Macbook Pro 2.6Ghz, 16GB DDR3, 512GB SSD, GT650m
    i7 5820K @ 3.6ghz, 16gb DDR4, 2x eVGA GTX 670, 850w HALE90, NZXT Switch 810, Water cooled.
    My Heatware

So you have a fan just blowing on the outside of a fin that's on the end? (hope I got that right). Sounds pretty nifty and effective, now why not try both and see what you get

I hope you have a secure heatsink, because if it wasnt I wouldnt want to be adding even more weight to the socket clips.
    Q9650@4ghz
    EVGA GTX 570 @ 940/2100
    4gb G.Skill PC8500

Heat

A plastic 40mm fan wouldn't add that much weight at all IMHO. It shouldn't be a problem.

Sounds like you accidentally figured out how to cool your motherboard components somewhat effectively. See, the mosfets/voltage regulators can get very hot and usually effect the cpu temp~overall stability as well. Just sticking on a 40mm fan to blow on one fit of your cpu heatsink doesnt cool that heatsink much at all....but the secondary cooling is noticable as you see. Maybe you could get an 80mm fan or so and have it blow air down around the cpu socket area. Svc.com has good prices on fans....and cooling, and other things. Shipping is good also, you should check them out atleast. Hope this helps out a bit.

Originally posted by wildfrogman
    Sounds like you accidentally figured out how to cool your motherboard components somewhat effectively. See, the mosfets/voltage regulators can get very hot and usually effect the cpu temp~overall stability as well. Just sticking on a 40mm fan to blow on one fit of your cpu heatsink doesnt cool that heatsink much at all....but the secondary cooling is noticable as you see. Maybe you could get an 80mm fan or so and have it blow air down around the cpu socket area. Svc.com has good prices on fans....and cooling, and other things. Shipping is good also, you should check them out atleast. Hope this helps out a bit.
    Maybe, but Ive touched the sides of various Thermalright heatsinks now and then, and they're noticeably hot. Trying both sides would test the theory, show where the benefit actually occurs.

Benching Profile
    I don't have a way to host a picture, but just imagine your regular, typical heatsink with a small heatsink and fan stuck to the side of one of the outer fins. I'd like to do it on both sides, but the heat pipes coming out of my Coolermaster HHC-001 are in the way of that. I figure I'm giving some extra cooling to at least one fin and the remaining air blow is circulating around the heatsink area as a whole.
    MSI Z87-GD65 Gaming MobO
    i5-4670K Haswell w/ Corsair H80i liquid cooling at 4.1 GHz @35C idle
    16 GB Corsair Dominator Platinum at 1866 RAM
    Samsung EVO 500 GB SSD boot drive & 3 other HHD's storage and back-up
    27" Samsung LED on Sapphire R9-290 Battlefield Edition Video
    Thermaltake Chaser A41 Case
    Temps=35*C idle/60*C load