• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

A simple quick cheap trick

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

LawyerLynn

I realized that my heatsink had one side that was just a solid copper sheet (it is actually one of the fins). I went to CompUSA and bought for $9.95 one of their cheapo "chipset cooler" kits that comes with a small fan and 3 small heatsinks for your chipsets and some thermal pads and grease. I then, using alcohol, cleaned the side fin of my heat sink real good and then cleaned the bottom of the heatsink. I screwed the little weenie fan that came with the kit onto the heatsink and then using one of the supplied doublesided sticky thermal pad stuck the heatsink with the attached pad onto the side of my heatsink. Voila - additional cooling and since the little fan is blowing onto the heatsink and not cross-ways through the fins it doesn't interfere with the main heatsink's fan airflow. My average, non-load temp was reduced about 4 degrees using this method. Pretty good idea, huh?

So you have a fan just blowing on the outside of a fin that's on the end? (hope I got that right). Sounds pretty nifty and effective, now why not try both and see what you get :)

I hope you have a secure heatsink, because if it wasnt I wouldnt want to be adding even more weight to the socket clips.

A plastic 40mm fan wouldn't add that much weight at all IMHO. It shouldn't be a problem.

Sounds like you accidentally figured out how to cool your motherboard components somewhat effectively. See, the mosfets/voltage regulators can get very hot and usually effect the cpu temp~overall stability as well. Just sticking on a 40mm fan to blow on one fit of your cpu heatsink doesnt cool that heatsink much at all....but the secondary cooling is noticable as you see. Maybe you could get an 80mm fan or so and have it blow air down around the cpu socket area. Svc.com has good prices on fans....and cooling, and other things. Shipping is good also, you should check them out atleast. Hope this helps out a bit.

wildfrogman said:
Sounds like you accidentally figured out how to cool your motherboard components somewhat effectively. See, the mosfets/voltage regulators can get very hot and usually effect the cpu temp~overall stability as well. Just sticking on a 40mm fan to blow on one fit of your cpu heatsink doesnt cool that heatsink much at all....but the secondary cooling is noticable as you see. Maybe you could get an 80mm fan or so and have it blow air down around the cpu socket area. Svc.com has good prices on fans....and cooling, and other things. Shipping is good also, you should check them out atleast. Hope this helps out a bit.

Maybe, but Ive touched the sides of various Thermalright heatsinks now and then, and they're noticeably hot. Trying both sides would test the theory, show where the benefit actually occurs.

I don't have a way to host a picture, but just imagine your regular, typical heatsink with a small heatsink and fan stuck to the side of one of the outer fins. I'd like to do it on both sides, but the heat pipes coming out of my Coolermaster HHC-001 are in the way of that. I figure I'm giving some extra cooling to at least one fin and the remaining air blow is circulating around the heatsink area as a whole.

Back