• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

what memory to get?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

hunka27

Registered
what would be a better choice for setting up dual channel DDR on my GA-8IPE1000?

2 x 256MB with a 2.5 latency for $199.

or

2 x 512MB with a 3.0 latency for $293.75

both brands are OCZ DDR533. I know both latency and the amount of memory affect the performance but i don't know what matters more. thanks. I know obviously i can get 2 512mb with a 2.5 latency but its too much money. any input would be appreciated. I will be overclocking by the way just to make that clear.

what about overclocking? will i get better results with a lower latency?

You probably will get better scores running your FSB high while your memory lower at tight (2-2-2) timings, using a 5:4 ratio. Depending on what processor you have, however, it may differ. Which processor do you have, I assume it's a 800FSB Intel P4, but what clock/multiplier.

i have a 2.6C. I don't really know what the ratio is. i don't see any type of setting in my bios like that. but anyway, your saying a 2.5 latency would give me better speeds even though its 512MB less then the 3.0 latency? or are you saying that i will be able to overclock more with the 2.5 latency and that will make it faster. Thanks for responding.

bump...

i need to get ram soon to complete my computer... more input would really help

well won't the 3.0 do better also then and run stable at 2.5? is that what your saying. because if i could get a gig of ram and run it at 2.5 i'd definatly do that.

Back