• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

A little bit lost in search of help.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ladybluedreamz

I have a slight problem. About a year ago i built my first PC. Ever since then i have never ever had a problem with it. Now i have a couple of friends asking me to build them PC's. I know i can build them. I just know that there is some stuff i don't quite understand. Before I start building i wanna learn a little bit more about stuff such as FSB's, cache's, etc. Now my question is where is the best place to gain this knowledge. Is there any online sites that could maybe just teach me the basics. I know enough but i want to know more. Or should I just go to the book store and pick up a A+ book?

Thanx alot

*edit*

DOH! I found my answers right here on the OC site. Just ignore my completely idiotic post :p

Last edited:
ladybluedreamz said:
I have a slight problem. About a year ago i built my first PC. Ever since then i have never ever had a problem with it. Now i have a couple of friends asking me to build them PC's. I know i can build them. I just know that there is some stuff i don't quite understand. Before I start building i wanna learn a little bit more about stuff such as FSB's, cache's, etc. Now my question is where is the best place to gain this knowledge. Is there any online sites that could maybe just teach me the basics. I know enough but i want to know more. Or should I just go to the book store and pick up a A+ book?

Thanx alot
Expereince is the best teacher. Failing that just hang around the forums and read peoples posts about their expereinces, you will sop it up like a sponge.
Id hate to say it but www.tomshardware.com has some excelent How-To's. Dont listen to his BS reviews though.
Check out some of the older articles on the OC front page (the bar on the left will direct you).
If your looking to learn about computer terms:
http://www.webopedia.com/
Is a decent place. Just search for whatever tech term you want and it will give you a defination of the term and links to sites about it.

If your confused about somthing just ask in the forums and im sure you will get a quick and lengthy reply with far too much info than you would have asked for due to all the computer geeks here with no lives :p

Edit: Bah, your edit beat me to my post. All that work for nothing :(

WELCOME TO THE FORUMS!

Don't worry about the question you posed being easily solved - we can turn any thread into a much more useful source of information than expected.

A common thing to do around here when building a new system is for members to post the components that they are going to purchase before they purchase them, and state what the computer is going to be utilized for. This way they can ask if everything is compatible and if there are better, less expensive alternatives that would be more suitable for the computers application.

Back