• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Just Converted Over To AMD...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Blue Jester_2112

I just got back from a computer show where I picked up a retail 1.2 gig T-bird with 266 fsb. It is an A1200AMS3C AXIA 0114UPAW. As I understand it this means it was made in the 14th week of 2001? Is this a respectable code? How far do you all think I might be able to take this chip on an Epox or Asus ddr board with a Gladiator? (The Gladiator will be lapped and has a Delta black label, not the lower cfm fan)
Also, does the color of the core mean anything or is that mearly cosmetic?
Just curious how good of a purchase I made and how well this chip might perform. Thanks =]

Welcome to the world of AMD!! Yes the color of the core means where it was made. The blue cores are made in Dresden, Germany. The greenish core..?? oh and yes you are right about the 14th week of 2001

Well you got a great code. AXIA is about the best. Some have gotten them up to 1600 but 1400-1500 is more likely. Your heatsink should be a great match for the 1200. The color of the core used to matter but now all athlons are made with copper interconnects.

Do you currently have an Epox mobo and if so how does it perform? My buddie is putting together a new machine in 2 weeks and he looking at the that mobo.

I actually don't have an AMD mobo yet. I'm still doing research but am looking at the Epox too. I'll probably order the Raid version later today.
Just curious, what is the normal defualt voltage for a 1.2?
Thanks guys, it's good to know I made a good purchase.

I'm crossing over as well. My BE6-II died, Then I sold my PIII 800. My Asus A7A 266 & T-Bird 1.2gig should be here on monday. Can't wait. Hope I got a good chip as well.

Good luck to ya, and have fun!

bdf,
good choice on the board! I have an a7a266 and i love it!
just check to make sure you get the 10 dip switch version, not the 4. The 10 switches let you change the multiplier :)

i have basically the same thing (check sig). you should check the 3rd line of code, i have a '9' and could get up to 1439 mhz. people with a 'Y' or another letter can get higher.

Amedeo602 (Jul 07, 2001 06:15 p.m.):
bdf,
good choice on the board! I have an a7a266 and i love it!
just check to make sure you get the 10 dip switch version, not the 4. The 10 switches let you change the multiplier :)

Well I'm hoping it's the newer version with the 10 dip switches. But if it's not I know theres a mod for allowing mulitplier changes in the bios. You have to solder a wire where the 10th dip switch would be. But I think I'll be getting a newer one (I HOPE).

Welcome to the dark side! ;-)

the core color is just some adhesive you don't need to worry all the higher clocked tbirds should have copper interconnects.

plague (Jul 08, 2001 01:42 p.m.):
i have basically the same thing (check sig). you should check the 3rd line of code, i have a '9' and could get up to 1439 mhz. people with a 'Y' or another letter can get higher.

Mine has a 9 beginning the third line. If it'll go up to 1.4 or 1.4xxghz I'll be perfectly happy. I'm looking for a decent overclock because...well...I'm hooked on clocking, but I'm also looking for solid stability so I probably won't want to push it too far anyway. I ended up getting an Asus A7m266 mobo. I had read that they were among the fastest and most stable mb's on the market. Obviously I won't be able to OC with the multiplier but I just ordered a 256meg stick of Crucial pc2100 so hopefully I'll be able to push the fsb high enough to get me close to, or a little over, 1.4. Being able to adjust the multiplier would have been nice but I reckon I'll get more performance from a higher fsb.
If I REALLY want to see how high it can go I can always give the mod a try and see if I can't get that multiplier adjustment workin'.

I finally dumped my PIII 600/Asus combo as well. I just received my 1.2 T-Bird today:

A1200AMS3C
AXIAR0121XPMW
K0073621450

I'm assuming this is OK? I'm not going for OC extreme, just stable like someone mentioned b4. However, I am confused... I ordered the IWILL KK266 mobo with 256MB PC133 SDRAM and apparently alot of people are ordering DDR mobos with DDR RAM? Should I have taken the same route? Will it be that much faster? Damn, I hate this!

Just got my A7A (which does have the 10 dip switches :)) and 1.2 gig T-Bird. The T-Bird is an AXIA and the third line starts with a "Y". From what I've been reading there supposed to be great overclockers! Can't wait to get it all setup.

Blue Jester_2112 (Jul 09, 2001 11:50 a.m.):
plague (Jul 08, 2001 01:42 p.m.):

Mine has a 9 beginning the third line. If it'll go up to 1.4 or 1.4xxghz I'll be perfectly happy. I'm looking for a decent overclock because...well...I'm hooked on clocking, but I'm also looking for solid stability so I probably won't want to push it too far anyway. I ended up getting an Asus A7m266 mobo. I had read that they were among the fastest and most stable mb's on the market. Obviously I won't be able to OC with the multiplier but I just ordered a 256meg stick of Crucial pc2100 so hopefully I'll be able to push the fsb high enough to get me close to, or a little over, 1.4. Being able to adjust the multiplier would have been nice but I reckon I'll get more performance from a higher fsb.
If I REALLY want to see how high it can go I can always give the mod a try and see if I can't get that multiplier adjustment workin'.

ya I was looking for an A7M266, but they were on the expensive side because they were discontinued. I dont know how its set up, but if it has the same dipswitch setup, you can solder a wire where the no. 10 switch would be. Crucial ram can do 150mhz no problem ive heard, so youll get pretty far w/o multiplier.

Back