• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Computer heat problem

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Cuper

OK guys,

I post the most here so I will ask my friends first :D

I have a XP1800 that is REALLY running hot!! I have changed the power supply and reset the heatsink several times with no real change in temp. It runs in the high 40's to 50's (low) with no load on the CPU. If I turn seti on within 15 minutes it freezes.

Any thoughts??

Is it overclocked? Vcore, FSB, and multi?

How do you picture the airflow in your case? Number and locations of intakes and exhausts?

What HS/F? Socket lugs or 4 mounting holes?

What TIM? Have you cleaned well between remountings?

not overclocked, the case is open and it is a standard OEM fan. I did clean between fittings too :)

You're not putting the heatsink on backwards, are you? Heatsink fan is blowing onto the heatsink, not sucking air off the heatsink? What is the size of the fan (I'm guessing 60mm) and how many RPM's is it turning?

As was asked earlier, what Thermal Interface Material are you using?

How confident are you that it is mounted correctly?

Is the raised portion of the heatsink base over the raised portion of the socket (socket cam box)?

BTW stock HSF's usually use PCM which is like gum and a PITA to clean off... did you remove all of it well enough without damageing the base of the heatsink?

What TIM are you using now? What instructions did you follow in applying it?

EDIT: Good thinking Greg - if the fan was blowing backwards on a stock heatsink you could get some very poor temps.

Just a Question?

What motherboard? Is it a board you have not run before? How are you arriving at those temp reading?

I ask only because some boards are noted for being lousy at reading and reporting temps. I do understand that you said that if you run SETI it locks up, however I have an Abit board which shows about 15C higher than it really is and that made it high enough that it exceeded the limit in the BIOs where it would shutdown. If your BIOs has a similar shutdown temp that may be what is causing the lockup, and then we are back to the question of how confident you are that the readings you are getting are accurate.

SkyHook

Greg M said:
You're not putting the heatsink on backwards, are you? Heatsink fan is blowing onto the heatsink, not sucking air off the heatsink? What is the size of the fan (I'm guessing 60mm) and how many RPM's is it turning?

As was asked earlier, what Thermal Interface Material are you using?

Ya pretty sure. I will try again but have never had a problem mounting before. I am using art. silver. Don't know the stats about the fan but it has been working for months before this.

Re: Just a Question?

SkyHook said:
What motherboard? Is it a board you have not run before? How are you arriving at those temp reading?

I ask only because some boards are noted for being lousy at reading and reporting temps. I do understand that you said that if you run SETI it locks up, however I have an Abit board which shows about 15C higher than it really is and that made it high enough that it exceeded the limit in the BIOs where it would shutdown. If your BIOs has a similar shutdown temp that may be what is causing the lockup, and then we are back to the question of how confident you are that the readings you are getting are accurate.

SkyHook

I have had the board for a long time, I think that it is a shuttle ak35 or somthing along those lines.

Cuper said:
Ya pretty sure. I will try again but have never had a problem mounting before. I am using art. silver. Don't know the stats about the fan but it has been working for months before this.

What have you used this computer for in the past? SETI?

If you haven't been gaming, encoding, SETI'ing or doing other similar things that put higher load on the CPU for longer periods of time, the problem may have always been there. Now that you are running SETI there is a consistent high load on the CPU and it may be why you notice a problem now.

Get MBM5 or something similar and get load temperature readings.

If the heatsink mounts using the socket lugs then you can install it backwards and it won't sit well on the die. This is a very common source of instability and high temperatures.

Your application of AS should be minimal... Like this.

If there are remnants of PCM still on the base this could also cause poor contact... The cleaning job needs to be complete.

Last edited:
ok just cleaned and put new AS on and seems to be hovering around 45 deg C. I will download MBM tonight and check it out. Thanks for the help I will let ya know what happens

If you would respond more directly to the questions it would be easier to pinpoint your problem... glad to help anyways. ;)

IMOG - sorry about that, I was talking to 2 people on AIM while trying to get ready to go over to my girlfriends for food. I was on the way out and just didn't expect so many replies that fast :)

I am going to download mother board manager right now but after taking off and putting on my "ghetto" antec heatsink fan I seem to have solved it. (or atleast lowered the temps to where it can run seti again without crashing)

Does anyone have a good suggestion for a nice cooling setup (aircooling that is) that will be nice and quiet?

THANKS!!!!!

Greg M - THANKS! Might pick up 2 or more of those. What might you rec. for a heatsink? I really hate spending sooo much as I don't OC really.

IMOG - can you recommend something that isn't all that expensive. I just don't overclock but would like to lower the temps a little....

Here's the way I see it theoretically according to www.overclockers.com/articles373:

Equations:

Delta = CPU temp - Ambient Temp
C/W = Delta / CPU Watts

Given values:
Speeze 5R265B1H3 cooler C/w = .33
Recommended speeze cooler's C/W = .44
Retail AMD cooler's C/W = .50
1800+XP pally heat output = 66 watts
Standard room temperature = 25 C

Answers:

Speeze recommended:

66 watts x .44 C/W = 29.04C Delta

29.04C Delta + 25C Room temp = 54C CPU temp

AMD retail:

66 watts x .50 C/W = 33C Delta

33C Delta + 25C Room temp = 58C CPU temp

Speeze 5R265B1H3 cooler:

66 watts x .33 C/W = 21.78 Delta

21.78C Delta + 25C Room temp = 46.78 CPU temp

Annnnnnnnnd, Surrrrrveyyyy SAYS:

Look at heatsinks with a C/W of ".33-.35" and find one that fits your price to get a theoretical cooling improvement of 10C. This will give you the best likelihood of obtaining a noticeable and useful temp improvement for your money.

Back