• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

what is legacy usb?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
skab said:
Be for usb 1.0 if your mobo supports the new version 2.0?

That's what I'd guess. Usually legacy hardware just means that it has support for older revisions of whatever is current. i.e. if it uses USB 2.0, it should support 1.1...

"Legacy USB Device Required For ***" I see a lot..basically don't worry about it, I'm not sure what it means anymore, but I remember looking it up and just shrugging it off because it didn't really matter to me.

"Legacy USB support provides USB functionality in environments where there normally is not USB support. Specifically, HP provides legacy USB functionality at:

* Power On Self Test (POST)
* ROM-Based Setup Utility (RBSU)
* Diagnostics
* Environments which do not support USB natively

USB devices support hot-plug at the OS level. USB devices also support hot-plugging the devices in legacy USB mode, but this feature requires additional ROM support. The table below shows what minimum ROM version is required for hot-plug functionality of USB devices in legacy mode. Servers that support legacy USB are enabled by default. To disable legacy USB support, complete USB functionality must be disabled by disabling the USB Host Controller in RBSU under PCI Devices.

Legacy USB support requires a system ROM that includes this functionality. All servers shipping in 2003 will have full USB support, meaning they will support keyboard, mouse, floppy, CD-ROM, and will support hot-plugging floppy and CD in legacy mode unless noted differently in the table below. The following table shows the minimum required ROM version to support legacy USB devices."

http://h18004.www1.hp.com/products/servers/platforms/usb-support.html

oh, I didn't see the quotes the first time around...

I was a little confused since Gnufsh said that he didn't know earlier..then he was there typing this big definition..lol

Good post Gnufsh. That's the correct info.

skab said:
Be for usb 1.0 if your mobo supports the new version 2.0?

USB 2.0 is forward and backward compatable with USB 1.1. You can use 1.1 devices in a 2.0 port, it just won't run at 2.0 speed, it'll revert to the 12Mbps max of USB 1.1.

B.

Back