• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need A Cheap P4 Board recomendation.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Capt Fiero

ASUS P4S8X-X SIS648 S478 AGP 6PCI USB2.0 ATA133 SOUND & LAN is the one we are looking at.

We need a cheap replacment for an ASUS P3B-F motherboard. We would like to reuse as much from the old system including the ram. We will be adding a cpu that is probably less than 2.0ghz.

If you have a good suggestion for a cheap motherboard something with bang for the buck potential. Onboard everything is fine, EXECPT for video.

The place I will be buying from is http://www.ncix.com/

I trust ya guys so please send out any info ya think is helpfull.

P.S. I really dont want to go AMD but if you think it is really that much better of a price feel free recomend an AMD.

well, I'll start with AMD, they are MUCH cheaper, and it sounds like you don't need anything specific power that Intel has, so I would go with AMD..possibly a 2500+ Barton core..or if cheaper a 1700+..NF7 mobo would be fun also.

As for Intel, P4s use DDR..so unless if your P3 used that also you'll need new RAM.

I have a p4 1.5ghz socket 423(older) my motherboard is a Via something 266..I forget what, but I'm sure it wouldn't be hard to figure out..

I wouldn't recommend it for anyone who needs power..it has been reliable, and that's about it, have had it for about 2 years now. It really doesn't let me OC..or do too much..simple audio onboard, that's about all..but it also costs $20, and I've never had any problems with it..as far as a "GOOD" P4 goes, buy a 2.4C with a P4C800 motherboard..but that will get very epxensive.

U can also check this out:

ASUS P4G8X DELUXE GOLD S478 E7205 DUAL DDR AGP 5PCI SERIALATA 1000LAN SOUND

Going for CDN $105.00

Based on the first dual channel DDR chipset from Intel the E7205, these were made for power users, entry level servers, workstations etc.

But as newer chipsets with more features have come out, I think they've reduced the prices.

U can check out reviews here:

http://www.firingsquad.com/hardware/asus_p4g8x_e7205_review/default.asp

http://www.hexus.net/content/reviews/review.php?dXJsX3Jldmlld19JRD00OTMmdXJsX3BhZ2U9MQ==

Foxie3a,

ASUS P4S8X-X SIS648 S478 AGP 6PCI USB2.0 ATA133 SOUND & LAN cost CDN $96.00

The ASUS P4G8X DELUXE GOLD for a few dollars more is likely to be a better and more "robust" solution.

Real cheap is like: ASROCK M266A P4 S478 P4M266A mATX DDR/SDRAM AGP 3PCI VIDEO SOUND LAN - CDN $68.37

no, real cheap is like mine, Via...and that is all that u need to hear..lol

Foxie3a said:
no, real cheap is like mine, Via...and that is all that u need to hear..lol

LOL - your board is unbelievably "affordable" - where did u get it from?

AMD is looking better.

I really like Intel. BUT AMD's bang for your buck is really starting to look good. It is mainly the CPU price that is making me look towards AMD. I can spend a few more $$ on her MB and save a few on the CPU it allows me to play around a bit better and maybe get her a better PSU. Or more ram. She has 640mb of PC133 now maybe I could get her up to 1gig. She plays UT2003 alot.

If you want to reuse your old PC133 SDRAM then you're going to have to get an older m/b whichever way you go. You might want to look into a replacement for your old slot 1 m/b, and keep everything else the same. If you want to go P4 and reuse your SDRAM, you could go for something based on the original SDRAM version of the 845 chipset (e.g. ASUS P4B). If you want to go AMD and reuse the SDRAM then something based on the KT133A would be good. You could also get something like the ECS K7S5A, which supports both SDRAM and DDR. That way you can reuse your SDRAM for now, and upgrade to DDR later if you want. Other than that, you are looking at a fairly new system (new m/b, CPU and RAM).

Back