• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

temperature of the little things by the socket.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

modenaf1

I think they are called voltage mosfets? or something like that. Anyways, i have read that these things get over 200 degrees F. I have even seen some people watercool theirs. Mine for some reason dont get hot. Do yours?

Mine on my Nforce1 and Nforce2 boards get hot, there is also 2 more than most other boards I've had which didn't really get that hot but I wasn't running as much voltage as I am now.

modenaf1 said:
I think they are called voltage mosfets? or something like that. Anyways, i have read that these things get over 200 degrees F. I have even seen some people watercool theirs. Mine for some reason dont get hot. Do yours?

The mosfets (yes that is what they are called) on my Abit IC7 get a little warm...but definatly not "hot" by any means. Then again...I haven't done any MAJOR overclocking on it so they might get more hot with say increased volts or higher FSB. I plan on putting some cut up ramsinks or something on them though just cause it is fun modding stuff :burn:

I think the reason they stay reasonably cool is due to the fact that most people use air cooling.

with some airflow, they stay at a reasonable temperature.

but, if someone watercooled everything in their case, and did not have such great airflow, then there's very little air moving around in the area around the MOSFETs, and in that case, they can get really hot.

I remember this from my early watercooling days, that was with a MSI K7T266 Pro motherboard.

My mofsets are warm. Not hot, though, but its true the more you overclock the more stress is put on the mofsets and they do get hotter. Also depends what kind of mobo you have. What kind do you have? Mine is a Soltek 75FRN-RL (nforce2) mobo. Anyways, people do watercool it, that might be a bit extreme though (except in the situation shiyan mentioned). Pop a few cut up heat sinks on there and they should get a whole lot cooler.

Matt

what do you mean "act funny?" im sure it can cause problems if they overheat....

bigsmokey, sorry i cant answer your question,

modenaf1 said:
Mine for some reason dont get hot. Do yours?

I was just wondering if other peoples got hot.

I have an ABIT KD-7 (Via KT400) And an XP 1700 at 1.75 vcore and 2.45 Ghz

Mine get warm....nothing more but i have some pretty serious airflow in my case

Back