• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

OC3d?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Yeah, when the OC3dmark team was brand new, a lot of us were also folders. We thought we could pimp the OC3dmark team by making a folding subteam. And we thought we could pimp the folding amongst the non-folding members of the OC3dmark team.

Anyway, at the time there was much smack-talking between team 32 and team 64. They had subteams and we did not, so OC3d wound up competing with the Rage 3d subteams (and pwning them thanks to the mystical folding powers Linux of I might add).

Anyway, members of OC3d have been going there own way for awhile. I haven't been able to confirn that anyone else still folds for OC3d, other than my personal boxen and borgs.

Only in the right hands, young padawan.

It folds for me on more than 30 Athlon XP/Tbirds, some of them without HDD's.

The sig below is a mostly accurate account of OC3d's CPU's, I think.

OC3d is powered by:

Gentoo Linux -about 55%
Windows 2000 -about 20%
Overclockix Linux -about 10%
FreeBSD 5.1 - about 10%
Redhat 8.0 Linux -about 3%
Windows XP -about 1.5%
Windows 98se -about 1.5%

Last edited:
I wish I could use Linux... I tried a few times but I really don't get a thing :/

I really don't like MicroSoft. Since I shelled $ for Win ME ( not knowing a thing ) and after I installed Win once and they said that I got to call them in order to activate my Win XP.

They were really unfriendly and telling me that I "pirated" CD or something and that is why I have to call them.

Edited by SickBoy. If you feel you need to apologize in advance, DON'T SAY THINGS LIKE THIS!!

After that I really started looking into Linux and wanted to forget Win. Problem is that I don't have anyone to teach me stuff and thing that I like games, so I'm still stuck with XP.

Arkaine -> respect, Great Master!

I'll let you in on a secret. I don't really understand Linux either. I just pretend to know what I'm talking about, and search for answers when that fails me.

only in the right hands? Do you have to do something special to get it to fold faster? Or is it just becuase it makes it easier to build a huge folding farm?
Arkaine23 said:
Only in the right hands, young padawan.

It folds for me on more than 30 Athlon XP/Tbirds, some of them without HDD's.

The sig below is a mostly accurate account of OC3d's CPU's, I think.

OC3d is powered by:

Gentoo Linux -about 55%
Windows 2000 -about 20%
Overclockix Linux -about 10%
FreeBSD 5.1 - about 10%
Redhat 8.0 Linux -about 3%
Windows XP -about 1.5%
Windows 98se -about 1.5%

It's not really faster. Well occaisionally it is, but not usually. Speed differences in the clients is not really the issue. but the farming potential is much more cost effective, hence X dollars will get you more PPW buiilding a Linux farm, than the same X dollars spent on a windows farm with the same hardware. It's harder to setup, but once running, it runs itself.

Arkaine23 said:
It's harder to setup, but once running, it runs itself.

I wouldn't say it completely runs itself. In order to get 'true' windows performance, you have to manually cut the power to the system every once in a while ;).

That is the other point I was going to get to. If you reboot it often enough, then you can get it down to windows level of performance.

I know the NT kernel is pretty stable, but there are still a lot of operations in windows (installing drivers and many programs, editing some system settings) that require rebooting. Whereas in Linux only switching to a newly compiled kernel requires a reboot. This difference in uptime then can lead to more efficient folding in Linux.

Last edited:
modenaf1 said:
Also, i hear it dosent need a hard drive right?

That's depends on what version of linux you have. Overclockix boots and runs from a CD Rom drive with no other drives on the computer. Some other larger versions 0of linux do require a hard drive.

Back