• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Is my psu enough for the system?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Firochromis

Hi I have an AOpen case and FSP 300 ATV 60 is running on it.

I'm using Asus mobo and it has a program named Asus Probe which monitors the temperatures, voltages etc. Recently I, O/Ced the system and add Zalman cpu fan instead of stock fan, extra case fan, a hdd and a cdrw. My problem is Asus Probe sometimes give some alerts like, "Chasis Fan/cpu fan/power fan voltage is zero." Although I can see that they are working I thought that this can be a power problem. Do you think that PSU is not enough for the system in my sig?

(The components not included to my sig are: Two hdds, a few case fan, one cd rom and one cd rw)

Regards

Firochromis said:
Hi I have an AOpen case and FSP 300 ATV 60 is running on it.

Is that a 300w power supply?? Anyways, it should be just enough for what you have. Can you post what the voltages are. The 5v rail is the one that really determines stability and that should be close to 5v. As I said, it should be ok, but post the voltages so we can be sure. If you are not seeing any issues that means its probably fine. The alert is probably a false reading or something.

Matt

The 12V is the crucial line on a P4, not the 5V.

That supply should be fine at 3GHz. If you increase the clock rate much past 3GHz you will see the 12V line wilt. For a rough idea of the load condition, set the cpu to stock clock rate and voltage and compare the 12V readings to what you get with your normal 3GHz settings. If you see a marked decline, the supply is overloaded.

At no point worry about junk software like the Asus Probe.

and yes I agree but still, keep an eye on both rails just to be on the safe side. Usually you dont want your 5v rail or your 12 to drop or get out of spec by too much. From my experience though, you shouldnt have to worry about your negative rails. My -12 volt rail is at 7 and everything is fine. I assume it is not a critical rail for the mobo or anything, becuase in the BIOS there is not even a section to see what the negative rails are. I just see that from looking at MBM5, or sisoft sandra, or Windbond HWdoctor.

Going back on topic to the origional question, if that is a 300 watt power supply, you should be fine. Although it will limit your overclock at some point. I was a "came with the case" 300 W PSu, it dosnet even have that extra 12v connector for the mobo, and the case AND psu came to a total of $19.99. I am able to run my Tbred B AMD 1700 at 2.45 Ghz and 1.75 Vcore just fine. But any more than that, and just like mdcomp said, the 5volt rail drops and my system becomes unstable.

mdcomp said:

Thanks for the info...:D .

Matt

thanksfortheinfo.jpg

Last edited:
mdcomp said:

Thanks for the info...:D . Never used a p4 before.

Matt

Actually more and more AMD motherboards are powering the cpu with the 12v rail as well. Makes it even harder to give advice on PSUs unless you know the motherboard :(

Hi, thank you for the replies.

I checked 12v readings from both setup and Asus probe. They are same and between 11,734 - 11,855. And there is no difference in 12v rail between the stock speed and o/ced case.

I think this values are a bit low? What do you think? :confused:

BTW, it is a 300W suply.

Hi,

MBM 5, monitors +12v rail as 11,97v - 12,03v. I'm reading the values frým dashboard.

hmm, to me it looks alright. Is it stable at your max O/C? Do they drop more that that? If it is stable and they dont drop more that than that, i guess that answers your question, it is good enough.

Firochromis said:
Hi, thank you for the replies.

I checked 12v readings from both setup and Asus probe. They are same and between 11,734 - 11,855. And there is no difference in 12v rail between the stock speed and o/ced case.

I think this values are a bit low? What do you think? :confused:

BTW, it is a 300W suply.

Back