• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help an ignorant person K6 and matsoni

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

hafaphoto

Hello! Please excuse my stupidity, this is my first attempt at overclocking. I have a AMD K6 300 and a Matsonic MS6380SG motherboard. Can this be overclocked? I have the CPU setting set to user defined, but when I change the settings from 66mgz, It will not boot. I have tried 75mgz and all the other settings, all I get is a blank screen.
Any help would be greatly apreaciated!
E

I don't know nything about your setup, but you can probably find a way to overclock it. Some people will come by and tell you that your system is terrible, and you should just buy a new one instead of "wasting" the time to OC this one. Don't listen to them. There is almost always a way. Were the K6s multi locked? What is the FSB? What type of memory?

I'm not sure about that particular m/b, but it's probably only got the distinct FSB settings like 50, 60, 66, 75MHz. If you won't boot at the 'next' step up, then you're pretty much SOL as far as OC'ing the FSB. That just leaves the multiplier. You could try adjusting the multiplier (is that processor 6 X 50MHz?), but if it's locked then it won't make any difference if you adjust the jumpers to a different multiplier. In that case you will pretty much exhausted your OC'ing options. More current systems tend to offer smaller increments between FSB settings (often 1MHz steps) and voltage controls etc. that give you more options for OC'ing.

Like I said, there are almost always other options. If it won't take the ext step in FSB, it might be the ram. You could try getting new RAM (What kind do you have? EDO?). You could also build a "turbo-PLL device" and then replace the crystal on your board (14.31818MHz) with a slightly faster one (calculated to raise your FSB only a few MHz instead of 16. The turbo PLL could be simply the crystal and PLL from an old motherboard with power supplied, hooked up to replace your ref, 24 and 48MHz signals. I'm going to let you do the research on this mod, as I've never actually done it, and it's quite easy to do damage soldering on your motherboard. I'd also leave it as a last result. Before we can offer more help, we need to know more about your system. RAM, current FSB, anything and everything.

I had a Matsonic with a K-6 was able to OC 350 to 475 by changing the multiplyer. Different board but goes to show is possible, brother is running the board right now at 500mhz with a 400? K-6 for kids comp. Had to change the multipllyer tho and was kind of funny about that too, would run at 475 but not at 450. Just take the side cover off and keep changing the multiplyer till you've tried all the combos.

Gnufsh said:
Like I said, there are almost always other options. If it won't take the ext step in FSB, it might be the ram. You could try getting new RAM (What kind do you have? EDO?). You could also build a "turbo-PLL device" and then replace the crystal on your board (14.31818MHz) with a slightly faster one (calculated to raise your FSB only a few MHz instead of 16. The turbo PLL could be simply the crystal and PLL from an old motherboard with power supplied, hooked up to replace your ref, 24 and 48MHz signals. I'm going to let you do the research on this mod, as I've never actually done it, and it's quite easy to do damage soldering on your motherboard. I'd also leave it as a last result. Before we can offer more help, we need to know more about your system. RAM, current FSB, anything and everything.

OK, point taken. But he started by saying this was his first attempt to OC. I think what you've suggested is a bit more advanced than a n00b is likely to get into.

computer information

Thanks for the responce everyone.
RAM 256 meg SDRAM Kingston brand I think.
The FSB is currently set at 1 x 66 mhz.
max FSB is 1 x 100 mhz, I think.

I am trying to change the FSB by running setup when I boot my computer, possibly that is the problem? A friend of mine told me I might need to download programs to overclock the computer.

Like I said before, I am very new to this, (I had to look up what the FSB meant, and what kind of RAM I had)! I do appreciate all the responces and your time!

I found out a couple of other things, may not be revelant by downloading SANDRA: Bios is upgradeable, something about the motherboard not being locked.

Thanks
E

I did It!!!

Thanks a lot for the help!! I changed the multiplier from 4.5 to 5.0 (it would not boot with 5.5) and am now the proud owner of a 334 mhz machine!!!

Heck, I only got 34 mhz, but it all it cost was some time on line and help from this forum, so who can complain!

Thanks!

E

Well it's a first step anyway, congrats! If your m/b only has 66MHz and 100MHz, w/o any setting inbetween, then that might be your problem. If you want to try to test whether it's the CPU or something else holding you back, you could try lower the multiplier and increasing the bus speed at the same time. For example, if you increase the bus to 100MHz and decrease the multiplier to 3, your processor should be at 300MHz which should in theory work (however, 3X100 isn't the same as 4.5X66, so it's not guaranteed to work). But if it doesn't work, then it's more likely that it's the memory that can't handle it so you might want to look into that side of things.

Back