• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

quick seti & SMP question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Codeman05

Hi guys, just started playing around with running SETI on my SMP rig in the sig. I've been running it set to have 2 proccesses run at once in Seti Driver. Is that how I should go about it, or should I use 2 instances of Seti Driver.
Also, Driver shows estimated completion times of close to 4 hrs/wu, and so far I've gotten about 3.75hrs/wu. Seems pretty slow considering my other rig isn't O/C much faster, and it spits them out at about 2.25hrs/wu

Does this sound about right for my setup, I guess S@H is a little more mem. bandwidth dependent then I thought

Yes that's the correct way to do it. You will find that the dual amd systems are quite a bit slower than a single cpu system of the same speed.

Thanks TC, thats what I was thinking. Hopefully I'll be able to put together another dually soon :D

The extra cache on the barton really hasn't seemed to make much difference to me, I used to have a 2100+ in that rig that did the same amount of wu/min at equivilent speeds, and it would also clock another 100-150mhz

quite a few team members had played around w/ DualXP/MP system in the past, me/TC/Hallen/etc. the main problem w/ DualXP/MP rig is it's relatively slow chipset (760). it's slow FSB, only support 266 and couldn't o/c much over 145-150mhz range is pretty slow for today's standard. plus both CPU is sharing that little FSB too! that's why it's much slower than a uni-XP machine given the same CPU speed.

yea, I'm still surprised that no one ever thought to come out with a 333 smp board...one came close, forgot the brand...but it had all the O/C features you could want, and could go over 200fsb.....of course they only included a 1/4 divisor :rolleyes: Still though this is a little faster...since I'm getting 2wu's about every 3 to 3.5 hrs

Wish you had looked at the benchmarks before you invested in the barton. It's about 6-7 minutes faster than a tbred.

I'm running 2 xp 1700 o/c'd to 1875 Mhz and I get about 3.6-3.9/WU so your times are pretty much right. Even my Opteron system is only getting 2.6-3.0/WU.

If i could figure out how to overclock these Opterons since Tyan supplies absolutly no o'c settings i might be able to get more out of em.

TC said:
Wish you had looked at the benchmarks before you invested in the barton. It's about 6-7 minutes faster than a tbred.
??
You mean before I invested in the 2100's?
I had these 2 collecting dust, so figured they should be put to use. I'll probably put together another dually with my current barton though in a few weeks...knock on wood nothing blows up on me :)

No I thought you were disappointed in the times from your 2500, so I was saying you shouldn't have bought one thinking it would be a lot better for Seti than a tbred.

ohhh, sorry, been a long friggin day heh.

No not disappointed with it at all, I pretty much bought that one on a whim from a friend of mine that was sellling it cheap.

Looks like I'm starting to average closer to 3.25 hours / wu now

Last edited:
Back