• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

unexpected computer shutdown... ?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

cjh23

Please help,
My computer just turns off unexpectedly from time to time. Mostly when playing games but it has occured whilst messing around in windows.
I originally thought it was a heat problem, but all my motherboard temp sensors are below 40 and i have an external temperature sensors around the cpu and graphics card, which are also below 40.
I recently changed my graphics card thinking this might be the problem, but it hasnt helped.

What could it be?

Current system - Abit NF7-S motherboard, Athlon 2600+, 512 Mb DDR RAM, 40Gb HD, Windows XP, Currently an old Nvidia TNT2 16Mb gaphics card.

Thanks

Welcome to the forums.

First things you can suspect are heat, your PSU, or your memory. Do you have a generic PSU? Quality memory?

Turn off the auto restart on failure option. That'll freeze the PC on the BSOD and maybe give you a clue to your problem.

its the psu. im sure. ive seen it a hundered time or more now.

pc shuts off, no warning - no fans, no nothing excpet the mobo light.

Try another psu - something with at least 18amps on the 12v rail.

I had this exact problem. I was running a q-tec 400w psu. ive also seen 4 other people running q-tecs on these board with the same problem, and every one of them cured it with a better psu.

thats really spooky...

It just so happens i have a Q-tec 400 W PSU. Perhaps id better change it.

otherwise, memory i have, 2 sticks of 256Mb 168DIMM PC266Mhz, i think.

I must admit i find all this messing around with computers quite a challenge. Its amazing how one tiny little thing can really throw a spanner in the works...

Is it alway like this?

Cheers for the advice.

Right after I installed my NF7_S My comp was having some problems including random shutdown. First thing I did to fix it was RMA the memory, no luck. Set the FSB deathly slow, no luck. Reinstalled EVERY driver one by one, no luck. Tried out like 6 different BIOS, no luck. Then I RMA'd my NF7, voila! All my problems were solved. There was no physical damage at all to the board, but there was something very wrong with it. My problems were described to me as probably being a prolem with my PSU, so don't give in to their arguments too easily.

Back