• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

I'm on a roll! 2 dead motherboards in one day!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

No, I showered
Aaargh. Okay, so my friend comes over to transfer some files that were too large to transfer via cable modem. In the process, he decides to help me bump up my overclock on my system since I only had it running at 2.0 GHz and the CPU is known to handle upwards of 2300 (the board is an NF7-S 2.0 and the chip is an XP2100+).

During the process I notice there's a new BIOS upgrade, so I flash the BIOS. All seems to go well and verify the BIOS is correct. He also wants to change out my fan. So we do that too. Turn the system back on and nothing. No POST or anything. Pulled everything off and nothing helped. Tried another CPU, still nothing at all. :-(

Okay, maybe the BIOS flash went bad. They do that on Nforce sometimes. No big deal, I take out the BIOS recovery kit I bought with it. Had to go buy the tool to remove it first. Try the replacement BIOS, still nada.

Now I'm getting desperate. I have an abit IS-7 board that he gave me after he got it back on an RMA to build a P4 system for myself with. I convinced him to try taking his existing P4 setup out and letting me use that board to try hot flashing my BIOS (they use identical BIOS chips and both use award). Still wouldn't work.

I also have an Epox 8RDA+ that has the same symptoms which happened after changing a couple settings in the BIOS. I thought while we were at it I would try hotflashing it. Tried a couple of different ways and it never would work, so we finally gave up. Put the BIOS back in and were going to reboot one last time and now IT won't POST either. Aargh!

So it would seem I managed to kill two boards in one day, though I've not a clue how I did it, especially on the first one.

That board has LEDs on it right? Green and red LEDs?

What are the LEDs doing?

The red just glows steady if you've got power connected. The green lights up if the computer is on. That's the NF-7. The IS7 does the opposite. They don't serve any sort of diagnostic function. On the Epox board, I just get a CF or somethign. I forget now, it's been a few months.

I talked to Abit tech support about the board. He insists that the recovery kit must have been bad and that I should RMA it. :-/ Basically, it was pretty much useless.

order a new bios chip.

I had this problem with the first generation BE6 boards, i had the power plugged in when i reset the cmos, for some reason when i pulled the jumper from the clear position it fired up and then when i put the jumper back into the normal position if deleted the rom fromt eh chip and the bios was dead.

I think i did this 2 times before i figured out what was happening. I hot swapped the chip from a different board and flashed the bios and recovered the chip. After i had ordered 2 new ones, i still have those 2 chips laying around here some where i didnt even need. :(

well, I have a BIOS recovery kit. It didn't work. :-(. Overnighted my board to Abit (cost me less than six bucks for overnight am delivery, so why not). I just hope they get it back to me soon. I miss my computer. :-(

Did you clear the CMOS? If you did did you unplug the power cord and does the manual happen to say anything about removing the battery ?
I'm not sure about t hat Abit board but I killed a brand new Asus A7V333 Deluxe moving the cmos clear jumper on the board while the battery was still in :( Didn't read the manual to see it said to remove the battery and unplug first) shorted out the board and it was dead. Power came on, no fans and the led lit, everthing else was a no go.
The battery was an unusual deal, never had the before on an Asus board, but as soon as I touched the jumpers I saw a very small spark (power cord was unplugged) and that was the end of that board :(

Usually when my computer wont post I just pop out the battery for about 15 min so it sets everything back to default, then it should post.

Yeah, I've tried all of that. Pulling the battery everything. They've now had my board for over a week and thus far no indication of them sending out a replacement board. :-(

your probably gonna be waiting 3 weeks. thats how long it took for me to get my bpard back, and they sent me the same board back. still doesnt work, im gonna call them.

ok i have had computerss m/bs do it berfore,, all i had to do is, unplug the psu from the wall, wait till the charge is gone after reseting the cmos,, then plug it in and try again,,, doenst sound like anything is really fried though

When i sent mine in for the RMA (similare issue) It took two weeks. I overnighted it there and it took two weeks to process and send me a new working board.

Well, it's FINALLY on it's way back. Called them yesterday, being the 10th day, and they were supposed to check and get back to me. Never did so I called them again this afternoon. Finally found out what happened. They said that one corner of the board was damaged, though I don't remember anything happening to it, and it certainly wasn't anything functional. But they said they had sent me an email (never got one). She told me that they were going to repair that board and send the same one back to me, rather than just sending back a different one right away. Well, long story short, she tried to find the board, but they apparently have LOST MY MOTHERBOARD. Aargh! Anyways, they're going ahead and sending me back a different one. I paid for the second day shipping, so hopefully I'll have it early next week. About time, I miss my computer.

And, Unreal, I tried that. I tried pretty much every possible combination of that. I promise. Something was pooched.

Back