• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

To upgrade or not?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

asdf

My MB just crapped out on me ( atleast I think it's the MB) and I was looking at buying a new MB+ possibly a new cpu.

My system:
Duron 850MHZ CPU
Some crappy integrated SIS MB
256 SDRAM
300 Watt Power Supply

I was thinking of an ECS MB for around $70 and a AMD 2200 CPU for about $100. My only concern is if I buy this will I have to shell out for a new Power Supply , DDR Ram etc..? Is it cheap to just buy a new computer?

I am also looking at these options:
Gigabyte GA-7VT600-L and a Barton 2500?
K7S5A +2400

I want something decent that responds to overclocking well. Is this to much to ask for ? Reliable+decent price+ Overclocking capability :eek:

I Only use this computer for the odd program that doesn't run on my mac. So I don't want to spend to much money.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Note: I am located in Ontario. All prices are in CAD

Thanks for the suggestions, I greatly appreciate it. The Abit board sounds pretty good. ( debating if it's worth my $$ or not lol)

Just to clarify would I be able to use my duron 850Mhz with the abit board untill I bought a new cp. Possibly overclock the duron for the time being?

Also this board doesn't take Sdram so I guess i'm going to have to buy some DDR. Any suggestions on DDR ram for this board.

I apoligize for my lack of knowledge, I'm a mac lover and don't really know much about this.

I found that ECS board for $55 @ ncix.com. For $55 and the fact that I can still use my SDram this sounds quite tempting. maybe even add a 2400 xp CPU and "try" overclocking it.

Lot's of options. Most m/b's should be 'backwards' compatible and support your 850MHz Duron. If that's a problem, you can pick up a cheap 1GHz Duron (based on the Morgan chip - same architecture as the first gen XP's based on Pallamino).

However, first things first. The cheapest option would be to keep your current system. It sounds like there's a problem, but it seems as though you're not sure that it's the m/b. My suggestion is that you start by nailing down what the current problem is. Could be m/b, RAM, CPU or something else. Knowing that will determine what you can reuse and what needs to be replaced. It would be a waste to get an SDRAM m/b, only to find out that your existing memory is the problem (unlikely but possible).

BTW, since you've got an integrated m/b you'll probably want the same for the replacement (o/w you're looking at a video card, sound card etc.). Something like the ASUS A7N266-VM would fit the bill nicely. If you are willing / able to stretch the budget a bit further, nForce2 would be nice. Maybe the ASUS A7N8X-VM would be a good choice.

Back