• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Thoughts on Halo PC.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Fushyuguru

I am a huge fan of Halo on X-box. Its the only game I tend to play regularly. My friends and I used to play on Gamespy with people all over for quite a while untill the boxes started getting modded and it wasnt fun anymore.

We still play, but its hard to get big 16 person games together.

When Halo PC came out I was pretty happy. New levels, lots of people online to play against and the advent of the X-Box to USB adapters seemed really cool as I would cripple myself if I had to use a keyboard and mouse.

So I downloaded the demo and was sorely dissapointed. The game was choppy, laggy and slow. The graphics however were much cleaner, and Blood Gulch seemed to be a tad larger.

I ran the game on my current system of a Barton @ 2.4ghz, GF4Ti4200 @ almost 4600 Speeds (no tearing, rock stable for over a year), 512mb dc @ 230fsb, raptor drive and all on our schools T1 line. Even on low resolution the game seemed to chop and Lag.

My question is, how is the real gameplay on their servers? Are they as choppy and Lag as much? Is the game worth my $50? Has anyone else had these sort of problems? Did Bungee get rid of some of the perks of the x-box version (getting outside levels ect)?

>>My question is, how is the real gameplay on their servers? Are they as choppy and Lag as much?

Depends on the server...

>>Is the game worth my $50?

Maybe $40 but i like it

>>Did Bungee get rid of some of the perks of the x-box version (getting outside levels ect)?

Unfortunately yes

if you upgrade your video card you will be fine.
i am running halo on my box 2 in my sig. I am running halo at 1024x768 but i turn off shadows and specular. That makes a big difference. Also make sure you have aa and anisotropic filtering turned off.
for the servers, you are welcome to play on mine. I am running it on a T1 line, so it is nice and smooth game play.
The server name is ISU Halo.

Yeah im not too convinced yet its the graphics as ive heard rumors about the game being laggy, although an upgrade has been in order for a while. Im just not ready to drop $200+ just to play Halo on PC just yet.

Thanks for the server info. If and when Ill def be on that raping people up and down.

I saw the advertisement on bungee about a worldwide tournament. Wish I had time to practice on some of those new maps, I would be all over that tourney.

the demo was bad with all the lag but i still went out and bought the game, and its not much of a problem anymore. I love the new maps theyve added also I say its worth the money, and I do have the X-box version also so its not the first time ive played it

rugbyroy said:
I liked riding the warthogs around, but other than that I wasn't very impressed with this game.

Yeah, wouldnt surprise me. Its a very simple linear game. Though thats what makes it so fun.

I think Halo PC is more for the hardcore fans who want to slit their wrists for Halo 2.

I dont think Halo is worth the money. I played it for about a week and quit cause it got boring.
The reasons i dont like it :
1) The vehicles can not be damaged.
2) Most of the weapons are overpowered one hit kill weapons.
3) Slow paced game.
4) Laggy even if you tweak your settings.
5) Just gets boring.
I think halo is just gonna be a fling and people will forget about it.

...a 3 year fling.

Na, JK. Its not for everybody.

Its just addicting as hell. Its my crack.

And if its slow, who are you playing with? A 50 kill game will finish in 10-15min depending on who is playing.

The vehicles blow up in normal gameplay, but it would suck if they did in multi. You would have two targets to shoot at instead of one. Without them blowing up you have to be acurate, and if youre not, then well maybe you should stop.

The weapons I find well balanced. The min shots for a kill besides rockets, sniper rifles and such is 3 (pistol all head). Though most people cant pull that off all the time. :D There are alot of good snipers around, but they dont move much. They normally suck at close quarters anyway.

CS is the only game ive really known where you die with one shot all the time.

hmmm one shot kills? if your just standing still afk maybe, hell you could survive a shot from a rocket launcher if you are smart

Yea, I've found that most ppl who get bored w/ Halo haven't played it long enough to notice all the intricacies of mp.

It would really blow if you could destroy all the vehicles in mp! No banshees??? :eek: Vehicles add a good strategy element to gameplay. You have to think on your feet a lot in a good CTF match. And despite popular belief, banshees don't own mp in any way! (I own mp!!!!! j/k ;) )

anyway... It's still a great game... and more addicting than crack... I think Halo is making my wife jealous... hehehehe

I agree with dart. People get mad too much, if they would just think and react in the game, they would understand why and how each weapon is balanced, and that if you get into a vehichle youre more of a target than if youre on foot. They give you better weapons in a vehichle, but if youre good you can rape the dude in the vehichle really quickly before he can get up a good offense.

In halo, nothing owns anything unless youre amazing with a certain weapon. It all comes dow to skills. Im crazy with a pistol at any range. if I dont strategize my moves and cover, a sniper is gonna pick me off in the face before I get my three headshots off. Even up close, shotgun boys can have their way with me all over the map.

Its a good game because every weapon checks and balances the others. (ie, plasma pistol sucks, but a full charge and a punch is an insta kill).

People just don't like to think. I think thats why Halo is such a winner with the older young crowd.

Fushyuguru said:
I agree with dart. People get mad too much, if they would just think and react in the game, they would understand why and how each weapon is balanced, and that if you get into a vehichle youre more of a target than if youre on foot. They give you better weapons in a vehichle, but if youre good you can rape the dude in the vehichle really quickly before he can get up a good offense.

In halo, nothing owns anything unless youre amazing with a certain weapon. It all comes dow to skills. Im crazy with a pistol at any range. if I dont strategize my moves and cover, a sniper is gonna pick me off in the face before I get my three headshots off. Even up close, shotgun boys can have their way with me all over the map.

Its a good game because every weapon checks and balances the others. (ie, plasma pistol sucks, but a full charge and a punch is an insta kill).

People just don't like to think. I think thats why Halo is such a winner with the older young crowd.

Yup!!! PPl underestimate the plasma pistol all the time. No matter what weapon you melee with, it does the same damage. Hitting somebody w/ the plasma pistol does the same melee damage as smacking a dude w/ the rocket launcher. The difference is, the plasma pistol has the fastest punch of any weapon.

The game is so deep because everything is in balance. I own in almost any vehicle. It'll take usually 2-3 ppl on foot w/ the right weapons to take me out... but I'm not that good sniping or at really close range.

aye every weapon has its advantages, snipers arent really to much to worry about unless they are really good and there arent many of those kind out there :p if you dont have plasma gernades banshee's do suck :p

El-Scotto said:
aye every weapon has its advantages, snipers arent really to much to worry about unless they are really good and there arent many of those kind out there :p if you dont have plasma gernades banshee's do suck :p

Yea, but if you use a warthog gattling gun, assult rifle, pistol, or sniper rifle, banshees aren't too much trouble. I've taken out 2 banshee's at one right after the other in the back of a warthog... Plasma grenades can be a precious commodity if you're fighting a banshee on foot though! ;)

The only thing that I found with vehichles I would like them to change (I havent had experience with killing banshees in multi yet) is how easy it is to kill the driver. Only his head is exposed, so you can cap them off way too easily. The herdest guys to kill are warthog drivers if you dont have a rocket up close. Ghosts arent too bad. Most people can aim with those things.

Fushyuguru said:
The only thing that I found with vehichles I would like them to change (I havent had experience with killing banshees in multi yet) is how easy it is to kill the driver. Only his head is exposed, so you can cap them off way too easily. The herdest guys to kill are warthog drivers if you dont have a rocket up close. Ghosts arent too bad. Most people can aim with those things.

Yea, most ppl don't like them I guess. If you suck, you're screwd against a Banshee. I still find it hard to kill them, but then again, I suck on foot compared to inside a vehicle.

If you're pretty steady w/ a pistol, you can take out the driver of a warthog pretty easily. If you do a tight circle strafe, its a lot harder for a warthog driver to run you down too... The hard thing for me, when fighting vehicles on foot, is watching for other enemies that are on foot too! I tend to go after vehicles first if I'm on foot, so I can get in! :D

Back