• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Overclocking-Duron 850----WinXP?????

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

J-Wheelz

Registered
This is wierd(to me at least). I just unlocked my Duron (pretty easy!) and after I oc'd it I could not boot into XP.....it gave me hardware errors!!! No matter what I did. So finally I put it back to default and wham!! Worked fine. Any ideas??? I have an ABIT KT7a mobo.
And a side note....how come in the soft menu when I oc it what I select doesnt reflect when the pc boots(in the bios startup)? Is it just me....or when I select 10x 100mhz it should be 1000mz...not somthing like 800mhz??? Help!!!!!! J

It sounds to me like you haven't unlocked your bridges properly. Also, you might increase voltage to avoid hardware problems.

WIn2k is much more finicky about booting at higher speeds than Mandrake 8 IMO.

I know the L1's are unlocked....it wouldn't let me change the multiplier before just the fsb. And XP is much different than 2000.

You should try redoing your L1's. It took me about 5 tries to finally unlock a 1 gig t-bird. The bridges looked fine, but wouldn't let me use some of the multipliers I had set in bios.

good luck

I can change the multiplier though...so the L1's should be fine right? I could'nt do it b4 I unlocked em'. That is the problem....when I switch the multiplier or bus...I get the error starting XP

Have your tried just slightly increaseing the FSB....and then see if it boots?

thats because gay ******* windowz Xp has some sort of file protektor thing, basically if it sences a change of hardware in your system u will get a message, it so people cant use the same cd of Xp on more than 1 computer, when u oc'ed ure cpu it senced a change,and thought it was a different computer all together,dont u just luv M$.

Peppy I read through your sig and was going to say WTF ? Till the end ! Haha you have me going :D

Maestro

ya my sig is in a laptopform though, btw this will be a value comp in a few years

hooziewhatsit said:
You should try redoing your L1's. It took me about 5 tries to finally unlock a 1 gig t-bird. The bridges looked fine, but wouldn't let me use some of the multipliers I had set in bios.

good luck

Lame M$ has put some protection on winXP so u gotta call microsoft every time u upgrade ur system!!! Pretty sick of them.

So when u oc the cpu windowsXP think u are running it on a different system:(

Even a new nic card or hard drives is enough to not get winXP to boot.

This is a new copy protection to ensure ppl not too run one copy on 2 computers.........

This is really bad news to all of us who oc or upgrade they´r system often:|

I would just say stick with win2k this is just too sick of m$ even for those who is paying for have to call m$ every time they put a new gfx card in theyr computer, just to get a new serial for winXP that will work with the current upgrade.

I other words u gotta ask m$ if ur aloved to upgrade ur system.

Well, I can tell you XP isn't that different from 2k technically. MS wants you to think that it's like going from Win3.1 to Win95, when that's not really true. Both 2k and XP still use the NT kernel, NTFS and the same drivers (unless the manufacturer did a REALLY bad job). The main differences are the included software addons like their picture viewers and the media player. Also, they rewrote the interface and added the activation software. The way the activation software works is that if it senses 3 changes in your hardware configuration from your last activation, it's time to activate again. I dunno if activation is related to your OC woes, but perhaps it read the Duron's stock speed and it knows you OC'd it? That would suck right there.

well......

I use XP (leaked) full version and it has a problem with adjusting the frontside bus. I used to be able to pump my FSB up all the time during ME but with XP it doesn't like more than a few mhz over what it is when you install it.

The ****%y thing about XP is that it halts your system if it thinks you might damage it because of your unusual settings. I guess this would be a good thing for some little kid messin' around in the bios, but for us OCers it allows us almost no freedom to wiggle. BTW, you can flip the multiplier as much as you want (my CPU came unlocked) and XP wont get ****ed, but if you play with the FSB it gets all BAD_SYSTEM_CONFIG'ed out. My sig should really say

11.5*135

STUPID XP.

If anybody knows a hack to get rid of the startup protection I would be all ears.

Max Payneguin said:
Well, I can tell you XP isn't that different from 2k technically. MS wants you to think that it's like going from Win3.1 to Win95, when that's not really true. Both 2k and XP still use the NT kernel, NTFS and the same drivers (unless the manufacturer did a REALLY bad job). The main differences are the included software addons like their picture viewers and the media player. Also, they rewrote the interface and added the activation software. The way the activation software works is that if it senses 3 changes in your hardware configuration from your last activation, it's time to activate again. I dunno if activation is related to your OC woes, but perhaps it read the Duron's stock speed and it knows you OC'd it? That would suck right there.

FYI when you overclock the processor, it does think that there is a different processor in your system. Also, things like nics, sound cards, and most anything else in your system may be detected wrong bringing you way past your three hardware changes... also it may detect your chipsets differently (god I hope not though). Just a though from a man who will probably/hopefully never use XP just because I upgrade so much and am beginning to hate M$... although I have discovered the wonder that is Linux...

I think its the L1 bridges... I am also encountering the same problem... when booting at 133Mhz FSB... I cant go more than the 7.5 multiplier... else, my system wont boot... I'm planning to redo my bridges this weekend....( i wanna hit that 1.1Ghz mark... ;) )

Back