• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SK6+ not enough?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Trent

lapped SK6+ not enought cooling for a 2500+? idle temps are great at 34 but at load it soars up to almost 55C on prime95, 2100+ tbred b never went above 45C under prime 95 at higher clock speed lower FSB. Ive gone through reapplied AS3 and reseated the sink several times. Default vcore as well... Plenty of cooling in case, Just looking for some ideas before breaking down and investing in a bigger sink.

dangggg thats one high load temp...that doesnt sound right at all...are u using mbm 5? if so..then maybe ur fan just isnt pushing enuff air...wat kind of fan are u using?
________
Free vaporizer

Last edited:
What fan are you using?

Does the sk-6+ feel hot?

Did you lap it in between using the 2100+ and 2500+? Maybe you lapped it bad :(

well its running an 80mm fan, custom mounted, so its flowing plenty of air. it was lapped good on the 2100+ because after doing it dropped temps. I just went out after some classes today and picked up some 1000, 1500, 2000 grit paper and lapped further and now load is down to 50 and will probably drop down to 48 or so after the AS sets. I mean thats not bad, just more than I generally like to run.

Something doesn't sound right. Lapping w/ anything over 600 grit sandpaper shouldn't decrease temps by any noticeable amount, much less 5C!

Perhaps your ambient temp is going up also. Your house's heater going on, maybe?

strange. I have the same idle temp you do but my load temp doesnt break 39C with my smart fan 2 with cardboard shroud, mounted via zalman fan bracket. get a bracket and try to move the fan around. the possition will make a big difference. the sk6 is very small compared to a heatsink designed for 80 mm, so your deadspot is a LOT bigger.

I had similar problem, it is definitely the airflow or air pressure being not enough. Sheild the gaps between the fan and the heatsink will do a lot of good.

load has settled to around 46C full load under prime, so I can live with that. part of the problem i think was a slight increase in ambient temp. roughly 5 deg F and the AS not settling in completely. there is enough airflow in the case because the sink is very cool to the touch.

Back