Strange looking GPU Heatsink

Was doing some browsing at NewEgg. Looked at the Sapphire Atlantis 9600pro ultimate $188. What kind of Heatsink is on that thing? Is that what's called a heat-pipe? Anyone know anything about this card?

http://www.newegg.com/app/Showimage....102-293-01.JPG

yes thats called a heatpipe. You think that strange? Take a look at the Giant II or Zalman ones, the are twice the size.

"The man in black fled across the desert, and the gunslinger followed."
    dont know much about the card but that definetly is a heatpipe
    My Prime95 stats Huzza
    1004.793 Years total
    Noli turbare circulos meos!
    i'm moving to Theory, Everything works there
    ' I want to be the unwobbling pivot at the center of an ever-revolving universe; I want to be still.'

I'm in the market for a graphics update, is this a good card and cooling solution or are they selling snake oil?

"The man in black fled across the desert, and the gunslinger followed."
    you need cooling but as far as what type it doesnt matter

if your planing on cranking up the voltage i would say you would need to persue a larger stock heatsink or heatpipe than what is provided but if your just running it normal 99.999% of the time the stock heat sink/pipe/whatever is good enogh
    My Prime95 stats Huzza
    1004.793 Years total
    Noli turbare circulos meos!
    i'm moving to Theory, Everything works there
    ' I want to be the unwobbling pivot at the center of an ever-revolving universe; I want to be still.'

Hope to buy a card with some good o/c potential, that's why the Sapphire Ultimate caught my eye. I may wait another few weeks till the 9600xt and FX5700ultra cards become available before I make my purchase. The reveiws I have read say that the two GPU's are pretty close in performance. Just have to wait till the retail cards hit the streets and see what people think of them.

Also just noticed, I don't see any RAM-sinks on that Sapphire. I figured that the newest cards out there would have cooling for the memory chips right from the factory?
    Last edited by old silicon; 11-05-03 at 09:35 PM.

Wow those are pretty. Wonder is sapphire is gonna sell them sepperatly? They could make a lot of money(hint to sapphire).

Originally posted by Yuriman
    Wow those are pretty. Wonder is sapphire is gonna sell them sepperatly? They could make a lot of money(hint to sapphire).
    You can already buy them seperately. It's just a Zalman Heatpipe that Sapphire puts on.
    I use an iBook. :)

I would go for the Giant II , its better than the zalman, proven on this board and some other people who did reviews on it.

Where can I buy the little one?

i don't think you can get the little one, only the big one.... unless you contact sapphire and plead them for one its worth a shot.

I would say from looking at it that they took a Zalman heatpipe and cut it down. Just look how the thing is mounted just like a Zalman and same gold heatpipe