• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

2003 week last unlocked Barton was manufactured

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
well. i just tore my pc apart and tested every possible multiplier my board supports. anything form 2-10.5 fails to boot, and i have to reset my cmos. anything from 11-20 boots, but reverts to multi of 11. there is no way i can get the system to boot USING the new multi of anything but 11. I tried setting 12.5 several times in the bios as it was suggested that somtimes you have to tell it several times. so i did. no effect. i dont know if i want to try the wire mod, and i somehow dont think it will work.

the thing is though, they said from the begining they "wouldnt stop the enthusiasts" and would not lock mulitpliers, now without a peep out of them they have, this is a very intel like move. That is if this locking thing is true.. i think we need more testing done..

But if AMD has done this, they probably think it will increase they're higher speed cpu sales, like the 2800+ and higher, when in reality instead of selling few of these and lots of 2500s, people are probably just not gonna buy at all, this is enough to make me want a p4 setup, 2.6c and Abit AI7 is under 300$, really for me the the unlocked multis on amd cpus made all the difference in overclocking, thats a lot of flexibility, without multi adjustments AthlonXPs are very unoverclockable, you cant just ramp up FSB and use memory ratios like a P4, the fsb:memory has to be synced on an Athlon for good performance otherwise your running a crippled system.

well. i think im just going to take this thing back and get a tbred b 21 or 2400. the 512k cache is nice, but i want mhz. and if this thing wont unlock to give those to me without stupid expensive fast ram, then its not for me. I mean, hell my 1600+ made me happy. if not for selling that as a system, I would still use it.
Kind of dissapointed, but let this be a message to amd stating that i baught their chip based on what is now, false advertising.

False advertising? Quite to the contrary, they advertized that the moment you try to overclock their CPU, you void their warranty.

In addition to costing an arm and a leg more, aren't all Intel CPUs locked too?

ha ha. i never said that amd told me to buy their chip because it is unlocked. of course. the statement that said they would not try to stop enthusiests from overclocking is in a manner, advertising.
but ha. no biggie this thing is going back i think.

Well, hate me for it (when I am using an unlocked CPU myself...), but I feel that this is a very wise move for AMD to make.

If we AMD overclockers are forced to buy the higher-end chips (just like those idiots who use intel have to :p) to get the multiplier that we want then AMD will make more money.

It *is* a bit more of a pain - having to guesswork your way around your chips potential, and your board's FSB wall (a big issue with AMD boards).

You could also always just buy a TBred-B and go with that instead of a Barton.

I know that I, for one, will buy an Athlon64 rig as soon as the price is affordable, and I am more than glad to give AMD my money in exhange for a high-end, unlocked, processor.

Folks, pme way to look at it is that this just means that AMD intends their Athlon64 chips to be overclocking chips! ;) ;)

So far only new Bartons.

I believe they are no longer making Thoroughbreds so the only Athlon XPs being manufactured are Bartons and Thortons (Thortons are Bartons with 1/2 the cache, they're 2000+, 2200+, 2400+ see table here: http://www.c627627.com/AMD/AthlonXP/) So there's a good chance all lower rated Athlon XPs week 43 and later are locked and many of the week 39 through 42 are as well.

Also see the CODES thread for info on how to tell a Thorton from a Thoroughbred:
http://forum.oc-forums.com/vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=222237

Last edited:
Just got the 2 Bartons from Newegg and they're both AQXEA 0331. Looks like Newegg is still shipping week 31 cpu's (unlocked). I'll be building them tomorrow and I'll let you know if they're locked.

-Bobby

so it appears it's the "***FA" steppings that may be the clue...it's looking like they are all locked (but for 1 anomaly that is reported unlocked for wk40).

Last edited:
Im gona go to the local computer show (this thing that tours around to different cities selling computer stuff) and look for an unlocked barton

Wich chip would you get for an NF7-S?

since its a big show with alot of little distributers i can actualy look at the steppings codes and pick the right one.

This is how i normaly get all my chips, you know exactly what your getting.

wich one is the good one now? te 2500? the 2800?

NF7-S
1900+
thermalright SLK900 80mm fan
geil 3200 512
2 Hitachi 40 gigers
cyberlink capture card

also does it matter OEM or retail? i know the retail P4s seem to be better the the OEM ones is AMD like this?

Last edited:
Bobby said:
Just got the 2 Bartons from Newegg and they're both AQXEA 0331. Looks like Newegg is still shipping week 31 cpu's (unlocked). I'll be building them tomorrow and I'll let you know if they're locked.

-Bobby
can anyone confirm this? and if they unlocked, i'll order my parts tonight instead of next week lol :p

^wargod, newegg doesn't guarantee anything except that 2100+ will be a Thoroughbred B. The guy said "just got" so that's a strong indication of what their stock was a couple of days ago but they sell more CPUs than we can imagine so things change quickly over there.

BowerR64,
1. 1800+ or 1700+ DLT3C that ends in a stepping code with B (not A).
That's the best guaranteed overclocker.
http://forum.oc-forums.com/vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=222237

2. 2500+ overclocks as high as 2800+ so why waste the $. Don't get a chip that's on the locked list and browse the forum for 2500+ results and write those steppings down...

c627627 said:
In addition to costing an arm and a leg more, aren't all Intel CPUs locked too?

Intel chips OC much better than AMD chips when their multis are locked anyhow. I've got my 2.4C OC'd by over 1 Ghz.

At any rate, I'm building a new AMD system tonight. I ordered my 2500+ on wednesday so hopefully I won't get a lemon. I was really looking forward to seeing the full potential of this setup I've got.

bid ends in 3 hours on a 2500+ on ebay, im the highest bidder, 60$, gonna ask him the stepping/if it's unlocked. but... where do you find the stepping, the box or the chip?

It's printed right on the chip, not on the box.

Edit: I just looked at your auction...it looks like that Barton pictured is a AQUCA stepping.

^wargod said:
bid ends in 3 hours on a 2500+ on ebay, im the highest bidder, 60$, gonna ask him the stepping/if it's unlocked. but... where do you find the stepping, the box or the chip?
On the chip.

georgelogy said:
It's printed right on the chip, not on the box.

Edit: I just looked at your auction...it looks like that Barton pictured is a AQUCA stepping.
... is that a good thing?

It's really not good or bad. There are some AQUCA's that will overclock well and some that won't. There are newer steppings, however week 30's have a better chance of overclocking more. The AQXEA stepping has been one that overclocks very well.

Edit: also, the one that's pictured may not be the one you get, I would still E-mail the seller.

Back