• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

2003 week last unlocked Barton was manufactured

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Hello all, first time poster here.

I just received my barton 2500+ from newegg along with my soltek mobo. It is locked as hell.

AQZFA 0342 TPMW

It will still do 11*205 right out of the box at 1.7

So I'm not that upset :)

I would have like to have done 10.5 *220 to see what my mushkin 3500 level II can do....

Last edited:
ol' man - Maybe you mistook my comment as an offensive one directed at intel users such as yourself. I guess you missed the intentional placement of the ":p" face which *seems* to me to convey my intended "tone of voice" that goes with the statement. Frankly I find it ridiculous that I have to ruin my friendly, little jab by writing these words, and sound like I'm attempting to justify myself some wrong. Please PM me next time - or even now if you feel the need to :mad: .

Idiot? Nice, very nice:mad:

Past that though you make a very good point - locking these processors at a higher multiplier and reselling them is something that I hadn't thought was as serious as it probably is/was. Scary.

Doesent it seem a little strange that the multi's are comming locked as standard at about the exact same time the Xp2600+ bartons are on the market ??

From what ive read the Xp2600+'s are set to be the new Xp2500+'s to even up AMD's numbering system.......

Seems like there trying to move us over to the Xp2600+'s mabye ??

feesh said:
Hello all, first time poster here.

I just received my barton 2500+ from newegg along with my soltek mobo. It is locked as hell.

AQZFA 0342

It will still do 11*205 right out of the box at 1.7

So I'm not that upset :)

I would have like to have done 10.5 *220 to see what my mushkin 3500 level II can do....

If you got the cooling, give that sucker 1.9V and you'll get 220.

I will try that with my 900a that gets here tomorrow.

You think that's too much voltage for that heatsink?

Maybe not.

Here's something else that makes a lot more sense that shouldn't get lost in the shuffle:

ol' man said:
AMD is locking them because this summer someone was remarking them after locking them at a higher multi and then reselling them. Same reason intel started locking them too back in the late 90's. Some one was buying the 233 chips and remarking them as 266 and 300MHz chips. I mean they did it too alot of them. Supposedly this summer resellers where getting whole shipments in with some of the CPUs being remarked.

Edit: So much for us trying to figure out how to tell them apart, check this out:

AQZFA 0339 UPMW locked
AQZFA 0340 UPMW unlocked
AQZFA 0342 UPMW locked

:confused:

hi from germany.

i have a 2500+ barton, stepping aqzea 0332 TPMW

and its unlocked. TPMW, ever heard of that????

i am buying next week a Nventiv prometeia mach II, if u know it there over the sea??

then i can check, what my cpu really can :D

Hi, welcome and yes, pre week 39 locked Bartons appear to be rare.

Mabye not.

Here's something else that makes a lot more sense that shouldn't get lost in the shuffle:

Yea that makes perfect sense .......... only why leave the Thortons unlocked?? Surely the locking of the chips wasent a decision made over night, you would think they are aware that these people selling modded chips would easily do the same to a thorton (enable the cache and up the multi) .........

Are we going to see all the chips being locked?? are they using the Xp2500+ as a tester or is it just that its more popular and were getting to the locked batches quicker??

Despite the factory lock, the majority of NForce2 boards in existence will unlock the multiplier... Unless AMD has completely locked the processor from a core architecture rather than a physical standpoint.

:eek: What? "Despite the factory lock... boards will unlock the multiplier..."

http://www.ethanwiner.com/oxymoron.html
(sorry)

We need to figure out what they did to lock the new Bartons, whether L1 bridge is cut or not, if so how do we make those connections again...

Despite the factory lock, the majority of NForce2 boards in existence will unlock the multiplier... Unless AMD has completely locked the processor from a core architecture rather than a physical standpoint.

Yea the Nforce2 boards normally unlock the chips but they are coming out with the multiplier completely locked (no soft unlocks work, no mods seem to work either) . Looks like AMD are pulling an Intel :) .

I suppose i do see there point and im all on for AMD doing well............ if its what they gotta do then im gonna go with the flow !!

Could it be that this is just a mistake. I have had pass threw me atleast 10 2500's that have all OCed to atleast 2500. The worst one that I had is still here and it is an AQXEA 0331TPAL. It does 3200 but at 49 C. I had two do 3200+ at 39 C. The two that I have in my own dually do 3200+ at 45 C. All of them are default voltage except for the one that I mentioned above.

Softgod said:
...I have had pass threw me atleast 10 2500's that have all OCed to atleast 2500. ...

:eek: :eek: :eek:

2.5Ghz!? that is really not the norm.

DerKlausi said:
hi from germany.
...i am buying next week a Nventiv prometeia mach II, if u know it there over the sea??

then i can check, what my cpu really can :D

you'll love it! great to see new members from Europe! :D

see if you can get 3Ghz out of it! good luck!

WELCOME TO THE FORUMS!

"Doesent it seem a little strange that the multi's are comming locked as standard at about the exact same time the Xp2600+ bartons are on the market ??

From what ive read the Xp2600+'s are set to be the new Xp2500+'s to even up AMD's numbering system.......

Seems like there trying to move us over to the Xp2600+'s mabye ??"

That is interesting. Last week I rma'd a 2500+ barton (retail), and amd sent me a reply they were sending me a 2600+. hmmm....

i planned on getting the barton 2500+ for $90, but hey, if amd wants me to spend more $$ for their "higher end" processors, ill just spend that amount on a p4c.

Back